1958 Horrible Rain Visibilty

josephineheid

📛 Founding Member
Jul 9, 2024
Houston, texas
Vehicles
2024 land cruiser 1958
This is my first LC. I’m not sure if it’s a design issue but both times I’ve had to drive in heavy rain, the visibility is HORRIBLE. Maybe it’s the way the rain sits on the top, but twice I’ve had a complete whiteout situation which I’ve never experienced with my other suvs. Anyone else notice this?

I also noticed the rain visibility kinda sucks. I used some rainx and it helped greatly. Sadly it didn't last very long, so now I'm thinking of doing a at home ceramic coating to see if that helps

It’s more like when it’s pouring if you brake at all, all of the water from the top of the car pours down and totally covers the windshield. It rains a lot where I live and this is my 4th suv in the last 10 years. Have never experienced this. It’s scary when you’re in heavy traffic.

It’s more like when it’s pouring if you brake at all, all of the water from the top of the car pours down and totally covers the windshield. It rains a lot where I live and this is my 4th suv in the last 10 years. Have never experienced this. It’s scary when you’re in heavy traffic.
I've noticed that happening after my rig is sitting in the rain, and I first drive off. But is water accumulating on your roof while you're driving? Seems like wind would keep it moving off the back.

I wonder if this would be resolved with a front level/lift and level?

I also noticed the rain visibility kinda sucks. I used some rainx and it helped greatly. Sadly it didn't last very long, so now I'm thinking of doing a at home ceramic coating to see if that helps
I have used rain-x religiously since 1991. One thing I find that helps is to use the rain-x gallon jug from Walmart or the big box stores in the washer reservoir.
First thing I did on my way home from the dealership Friday was to empty the washer fluid reservoir, add bottle a of water drinking size, to the reservoir 3 times to flush it out until no more soapy water came out and then filled it with rain-x.
I also use the little yellow bottle of rain-x on all my windows and mirrors during the rainy season once a month.
Clean windows, use a half of paper towel with rain-x liberally wipe windows circular motions all over it.
After it dries to a haze, I get a medium sized towel soaking wet and ring it out but not thoroughly.
I wipe one window at a time with it and then I have a big Bath towel I wipe behind it. You wipe until it's dry and you'll have no streaks. I do this all the way around.
That was the directions on the old bottles way back then but I think the new ones don't tell you to do it that way anymore. If you don't, you get that bad haze on it early in the morning when you have dew on your glass.

Try two coats of rainx as well. Silicone windshield wipers tend not to scrape off the rainx as fast. Get some invisible glass cleaner for the interior. Invisible Glass Cleaner

If you want to go down the rabbit hole of auto detailing insanity, check out
r/autodetailing

Post from someone on their rainx routine:

IMG_0732.jpeg

I have used rain-x religiously since 1991. One thing I find that helps is to use the rain-x gallon jug from Walmart or the big box stores in the washer reservoir.
First thing I did on my way home from the dealership Friday was to empty the washer fluid reservoir, add bottle a of water drinking size, to the reservoir 3 times to flush it out until no more soapy water came out and then filled it with rain-x.
I also use the little yellow bottle of rain-x on all my windows and mirrors during the rainy season once a month.
Clean windows, use a half of paper towel with rain-x liberally wipe windows circular motions all over it.
After it dries to a haze, I get a medium sized towel soaking wet and ring it out but not thoroughly.
I wipe one window at a time with it and then I have a big Bath towel I wipe behind it. You wipe until it's dry and you'll have no streaks. I do this all the way around.
That was the directions on the old bottles way back then but I think the new ones don't tell you to do it that way anymore. If you don't, you get that bad haze on it early in the morning when you have dew on your glass.

The damp cloth wipe down is THE key to correct Rain-X application.

Why it’s no longer in the instructions is baffling to me.

Spray or by hand ?

Also noticed this, I think the wipers are way too slow at max speed. I’ve never had as bad visibility as with this truck in a downpour. Especially with brand new glass and wipers.

Try two coats of rainx as well. Silicone windshield wipers tend not to scrape off the rainx as fast. Get some invisible glass cleaner for the interior. Invisible Glass Cleaner

If you want to go down the rabbit hole of auto detailing insanity, check out
r/autodetailing

Post from someone on their rainx routine:

View attachment 9746
I always use a wet towel and a dry one behind it on the inside glass. As long as I wipe with the dry towel until it's straight free there will be none just like doing the rain-X thing. I haven't used glass cleaner on the inside for years. Try the comparison and see if you know the difference.

I tried those expensive silicone wipers once and they didn't last more than six months I usually got out of wipers down here.

Someone on the Colorado site suggested taking a new wipers and putting them in the tray that they come face down or sideways I suppose, and filling it with that 303 Aerospace UV Protectant. I never tried it but it sounds feasible. He said it makes him less a long long time. One of these days I will try it.

It kind of sucks that the inside of the windshield gets that haze on it from all the plastic stuff in the vehicle admitting dirt toxic fumes

I have always put the windows down and door open car doors when it's been hot just to air the heat out of there. Now they are saying that the glue in the headliner and a few other places are emitting carcinogens when the hot vehicle is sitting with all the windows up.

I also use rain-X from Walmart or the big box stores to maintain it. No issues with that.

Once and only once, I applied the rain 1/2 to windshield from the little yellow bottle going through all the motions I mentioned before. I couldn't tell a difference from that compared to what was being maintained from the washer reservoir.

If you use the bottle where you add so many ounces to your washer reservoir instead of the gallon jug stuff, I think you would want to use distilled water so you don't get hard water spots anywhere. I think I tried that once but it cost more than just buying the gallon jug.
Always buy two at a time so I have one back up because I use it a lot even in dry weather to clean the dust and crap off the windshield.

Like my Tacoma and my other trucks, I have a step stool for windshields and for the top of the vehicle. I'm not sure exactly what I'm gonna do yet since I have that luggage carrier whatever it's called on the top.

Last edited:
Back