130lb/60kg max weight in cargo area?

TumaloCruzer

📛 Founding Member
Apr 23, 2024
Media
Bend, OR
Vehicles
2024 Land Cruiser 1958
In the following video, the reviewer reads a warning sticker in the cargo area that states "the board could break if over 60kg objects are placed on it". Has anyone who's taken delivery read the full warning, does it imply the cargo area has a max weight capacity of 60kg? The reviewer seems to only read part of the warning sticker, but if you can only put 130lbs in the cargo area due to the hybrid battery, that's a deal breaker for me.

Of course Toyota is not selling an SUV with a cargo capacity of 120 pounds. It's a reference to the weight limit of that removable panel.
That makes more sense. He keeps referring to how bad it is that
the cargo area has that max, which doesn’t make sense.

I believe the concern about the 132 lb / 60 kg weight limit for the storage area cover board is overblown. That area is only about 7 inches and adjacent to the rear hatch. I can't conceive of how you could put enough load on it to break it (or the mirror storage area that is behind the second row of seats). He seems to think the warning applies to the whole trunk area. You should have zero issues weight loading with tents, refrigerator, etc. Other than the space lost to the battery...

Storage Cover Warning.jpeg

Storage Area - Cover.jpeg

So..... it's plastic and plastic breaks fairly easily........... solution........ reinforce the plastic.

I'm not concerned at all, I don't see where I'll ever place anything on that cover that will weigh 60lbs on the cover it's self. ie.... a 60lb bag of dog food would be almost impossible to stand on it's end to place the entire 60 lbs onto that skinny cover.

There will be some people that might want to build a deck bed in the rear and if they only build it 1/2 or 3/4 across the rear, the leg (if placed on the cover) could exceed the "single point" 60 lb limit, especially for extra husky folks. Simple solution is to ensure the leg is on a strong base that extends past the cubby opening on both sides, thereby transferring the load to the structural edges of the cargo area or position a brace/block in the cubby area that would transfer the load through the cover and take the load from the bottom of the cubby. I wouldn't do it this way, I'd design it so that from the start, the load would be transferred to the outer edges of the cargo opening ie.... as wide as I could get it. I would use aluminum as the legs/supports and I would insure I used aluminum blocks/spacers that rested on the metal of the cargo floor and stopped just below the carpet. This would ensure it was a metal to metal support

Now if the are talking about the entire floor cover including the cover over the Hybrid battery....... again a simple load distribution panel would fix it........ as an example (for all the haters, Just an Example) the plastic cover can withstand "single point" 60 lbs before it distorts and the current plastic panel is 3/16", adding an additional 3/16" panel across the entire width of the existing panel, would in theory, increase the "single point" to 120 lbs etc.....

My concern would be climbing into the rear and putting all of your weight there on one knee.
I did this yesterday when trying to grab something that slid all the way to the back of the cargo hatch. The plastic piece flexed more than I was comfortable with, but didn’t break or deform.

I think the suggested weight limit is below what the piece will withstand before breaking.

Last edited:
I did this yesterday when trying to grab something that slid all the way to the back of the cargo hatch. The plastic piece flexed more than I was comfortable with, but didn’t break or deform.

I think the suggested weight limit is below what the piece will withstand before breaking.
was this just on the skinny back board over the storage area (in picture above) or the entire back cargo area? silly question i know just want to clarify.

Because he's a YouTube influencer that is more concerned about getting clicks than being factual. It's boring to say "hey, this panel on the edge of the cargo area has a warning sticker for weight". It's exciting and scary if he can proclaim that the whole cargo area only holds 60kg.

I believe the concern about the 132 lb / 60 kg weight limit for the storage area cover board is overblown. That area is only about 7 inches and adjacent to the rear hatch. I can't conceive of how you could put enough load on it to break it (or the mirror storage area that is behind the second row of seats). He seems to think the warning applies to the whole trunk area. You should have zero issues weight loading with tents, refrigerator, etc. Other than the space lost to the battery...

Storage Cover Warning.jpeg

Storage Area - Cover.jpeg
" I can't conceive of how you could put enough load on it to break it "

I sure could. I weigh 200 lb and when I sit on the tailgate to put on my shoes take off my shoes or just hang out. Most of my weight is on that 7 in.

It's just a stupid choice of materials and designed by Toyota. Non-conducive to overlanding and forces all buyers to modify what should have been done in the first place. IMHO

I successfully overcame the 120 lbs weight limit!

I filled it to the top with tools and crap, so now it has a 3000 lbs weight limit (give or take 2880 lbs) :cool:
Lmao totally agree. My past vehicles also stated some ridiculous low number for the cargo and I have car camped with my misses about 90 days of the year and have had conservatively 3 times the "limit" on the cheap plastic cargo parts and never had a problem.

I think all manufacturers state some ridiculous low numbers for legal purposes but it can easily hold more.

Back