12v/120V thoughts, comments and ???

Don

📛 Founding Member
Jul 27, 2024
Media
Chicago
Vehicles
LC250
  1. 12V coolers can't typically be run overnight safely on one car battery. Is there any indication that the hybrid battery maintains the 12V when the vehicle is off? Are you planning to run a cooler off the 120V inverter?
  2. In my experience as a spring/fall camper a small 250W electric heater is really nice when overnight temps go below 40F. This type of heating will be practical in the LC. Nice.
  3. The vehicle must have a large alternator to support the 20 amp inverter. Likely 30 amp plus.
  4. The correct adapter to connect the vehicle inverter to one home has a 5-20P (20 amp) plug. Not the 5-15P I see mentioned in other threads. The vehicle does have a proper 20 amp receptacle with the horizontal slot for a 20 amp plug.
  5. The hybrid battery will be inaccessible with a dead starting battery, so a jump starter is still a good idea for remote travel.
  6. It's hard to find a powerful portable 120V compressor to reinflate tires. All the good ones are 12V.
  7. What's on your list?

Curious about your compressor question. My understanding is there is not an alternator and the vehicle will turn itself on to charge the battery if needed.

1. 12V coolers can't typically be run overnight safely on one car battery. Is there any indication that the hybrid battery maintains the 12V when the vehicle is off? Are you planning to run a cooler off the 120V inverter?
  2. In my experience as a spring/fall camper a small 250W electric heater is really nice when overnight temps go below 40F. This type of heating will be practical in the LC. Nice.
  3. The vehicle must have a large alternator to support the 20 amp inverter. Likely 30 amp plus.
  4. The correct adapter to connect the vehicle inverter to one home has a 5-20P (20 amp) plug. Not the 5-15P I see mentioned in other threads. The vehicle does have a proper 20 amp receptacle with the horizontal slot for a 20 amp plug.
  5. The hybrid battery will be inaccessible with a dead starting battery, so a jump starter is still a good idea for remote travel.
  6. It's hard to find a powerful portable 120V compressor to reinflate tires. All the good ones are 12V.
  7. What's on your list?
1. Hybrid battery will maintain the 12v battery when vehicle is off, but only if the hybrid battery can also maintain enough charge to start the vehicle.
4. i don't remember seeing a 20A plug in my LC, can you share a photo?
5. The vehicle starts using the electric motor/hybrid battery first, and if the conditions are not met for the hybrid to start the engine, the 12v battery will use a traditional starter to start the engine as a backup. This information is available in your owners manual!
6. I have a ryobi battery powered compressor i've used for several years. works perfectly.

The 20A plug is close the the hatch on the right side. It’s rated at 2,400 watts I believe. The button to activate is to the left of steering wheel. I believe the vehicle must be on to use the plug.

The 20A plug is close the the hatch on the right side. It’s rated at 2,400 watts I believe. The button to activate is to the left of steering wheel. I believe the vehicle must be on to use the plug.

"On" meaning Aux?. Makes we wonder again how the starter battery is managed. I suspect that the vehicle will start to charge the starter battery if the inverter is on. Otherwise devices plugged into 12V would drain the starter overnight. The hybrid battery is likely 48V.

Ah i misuderstood your message,for some reason i thought you meant a cross connection to connect the vehicle to your house to power it haha. The 2400W inverter will power regular appliances, but won't power your home.

Ah i misuderstood your message,for some reason i thought you meant a cross connection to connect the vehicle to your house to power it haha. The 2400W inverter will power regular appliances, but won't power your home.
I use a 3000W Yamaha generator to power a sub panel in my house. The LC will likely work fine, depending on how it handles motor starts on the house refrigerators.

Having trouble running my ARB Fridge/ freezer will not maintain low temp only about 50 deg anyone having this issue with there LC inverter had all connections tested and they look great.

Having trouble running my ARB Fridge/ freezer will not maintain low temp only about 50 deg anyone having this issue with there LC inverter had all connections tested and they look great.
Its likely broken. Its high end and should easily freeze on minimum wattage.

Curious about your compressor question. My understanding is there is not an alternator and the vehicle will turn itself on to charge the battery if needed.

Not sure what you mean. The engine has a large alternator, which can charge the hybrid battery. We know the alternator is large due to the inverter spec as well as the heat warnings in the manual. Doing the wattage spec'd is non-trivial and a premium feature.

Works great on my FJ -40 JK Jeep and Cherokee good on the Hammers/Rubicon/Moab replaced a couple years ago when someone broke in locked with a cable now.

Works great on my FJ -40 JK Jeep and Cherokee good on the Hammers/Rubicon/Moab replaced a couple years ago when someone broke in locked with a cable now.
Are you putting the land cruiser into "camp" mode by locking the driver door from inside or using the mechanical key to lock the driver door from the outside? This keeps the hybrid system running and engine cycling on and off through the night.
1722274008920.png

7. What's on your list?
2. There is no "traditional" alternator on the 250. See this Youtube video by the Car Care Nut. In it's place, there is a large inverter under the hood that is responsible for charging the 12V battery. When you say "20 amp inverter" are you talking about the 120 inverter in the back of the truck? If so, I believe that is powered by the hybrid battery which is why the truck will start and stop occasionally (per the post from @Trailman) to charge that hybrid battery.

6. Viair is a popular and robust brand of compressor that you can power via:
  • Hardwired to the 12V system
  • Aligator clips to attach to the 12V battery
  • Traditional 12V "cigarette lighter" plug
  • There is even one that someone on here pointed out that will plug into trailer wiring harness
The Viair 88P has been spoken about a lot as a portable option. For permanently attaching and hardwiring, the 485C and 450C are good options.

As an aside, I've used a portable battery "station" like a Jackery to run my fridge and therefore have had no issues with it running down my 12V battery. I'll continue to go that route for now until more time has passed and a better solution presents itself.

The Viair 485C is a VERY good air compressor. It is hard wired to a 12V source. I'm in the process of fabricating a under hood mount and will post my process in the "EOD Guy's Ride" thread.

Does anyone know how one would pass 120v AC outside the truck without leaving a door or window cracked open?

Just posted asking if anyone has torn apart the rear and found any type of passthru to exterior for 12v accessories and maybe splitting off inverter plug to run one outside for camper.

Back