Maximum electrical load for rear (cigarette) accessory port

You should always do what you're comfortable with. I would bet any radio/stereo install shop would be able to install a 20amp 12v outlet.

I have the viar with the battery clips on mine. I am not sure which battery to clip it onto..

There is the starter battery in the rear left of the cargo, and then there was another battery attachment under the hood for the hybrid battery I believe.

Does it matter which one I hook it up to?

I think the battery attachment point under the hood is wired to the 12V battery in the cargo area wall. The under hood point is used for jump starting with ordinary battery cables running to another vehicle.

The hybrid battery is likely much higher voltage and not accessible to users like us.

I took a Quick Look at the under hood battery connection point and decided to try to find a more friendly air inflator power point so wife/adult kids could easily inflate tires in my absence without opening the hood. That’s what led me to the 85P. I’m going to take another look under the hood.

Last edited:
It looks like in the photos posted, there is a positive threaded stud that is common to the + that appears to be unused?

It looks like in the photos posted, there is a positive threaded stud that is common to the + that appears to be unused?
Probably not unused, but you could certainly tap off of it with an insulated ring terminal.

I have done no research yet, but I was expecting to be able to pick up a 120V inflator to plug into the rear 2400W inverter. Does that not exist in a portable size?

They do, but most come with a built in tank, which adds to the size. IMO not a good choice for a take with you air compressor.

I have done no research yet, but I was expecting to be able to pick up a 120V inflator to plug into the rear 2400W inverter. Does that not exist in a portable size?
Do you have air at home? If not, there are plenty of the little tank style, 120v air compressors that might work as a home unit and small enough to drag along for occasional use. Depends on what you consider portable. One example: California Air Tools

Specs:
Motor
Voltage
110 Volt AC
Phase
1-Phase
dBA
Learn More

Magnetic Starter
Learn More

No
Amp Draw

I use a VIAIR 12v portable unit, stays in my recovery kit, is 100% duty cycle. I hook directly to the battery via alligator clamps. I also have a small Makita for home use and I wouldn't hesitate to drag it along if I thought I needed to air down and refill tires a bunch. Small Makita air compressor

Do you have air at home? If not, there are plenty of the little tank style, 120v air compressors that might work as a home unit and small enough to drag along for occasional use. Depends on what you consider portable. One example: California Air Tools

Specs:
Motor
Voltage
110 Volt AC
Phase
1-Phase
dBA
Magnetic Starter
No
Amp Draw

I use a VIAIR 12v portable unit, stays in my recovery kit, is 100% duty cycle. I hook directly to the battery via alligator clamps. I also have a small Makita for home use and I wouldn't hesitate to drag it along if I thought I needed to air down and refill tires a bunch. Small Makita air compressor

I've given up on the 120V inflator idea. I didn't buy anything yet, but I intend to get something like the Viair or morrflate portable small sized units. The battery has pretty easy to access in the back.

Yes @EOD Guy and @Lineman , inside the cargo floor storage area would be a good place for a new port. But I’m not sure I’m competent enough to be able to get under the bin and cargo floor to run a wire with inline fuse all the way to the battery.

If I can verify that the 7 pin trailer port is on a 30 amp fused circuit, it would seem easier to just get the Viair trailer port adapter and use that port.

Wouldn’t you agree?
Did you go with the 7 pin connector from Viair? I am trying to figure a solution to this too.

Up to you but, the rear storage trays all just pop out no tools required and from the edge of the tray to the battery, it's approx 18"

Did you go with the 7 pin connector from Viair? I am trying to figure a solution to this too.
No I didn’t. I decided to get the Viair EVC85P with a lower amp rating so it could be plugged into the 12V accessory (cigarette) port on the rear of the center console with less chance of blowing the fuse. The CFM air flow rating of that model is just slightly less than the 88P. I also have a separate 7-pin to 12V adapter so I could plug the Viair into the exterior 7-pin port if I want to.

I wish the Land Cruiser had a 12V accessory port in the rear cargo area next to the 120V port.

I finished my rear 12v outlet mod. I fab'd a mount from a piece of angle iron. Mounted it to the jack cradle. The trim covers snaps back into place without interference. Currently wired straight to the battery (30 amp inline fuse).

Attachments

• 12v Outlet.JPG
    12v Outlet.JPG
    277.7 KB · Views: 19
Back