1000 mile or so oil change need

Irondoorrocks

📛 Founding Member
Jul 1, 2024
san diego
Vehicles
24 LC Underground/black,premiumpackage mid build
Thoughts on initial low mileage oil change at dealer to minimize metal wear break in debris affecting long term maintenance .Have rread pros and cons and heard stories of lo mileage changes showing serious debris.

I had it done and I do not regret it. I did not have the sample sent out for analysis but that’s just me.

I did it at 931 miles. My local Toyota dealer has coupons for a full synthetic oil and filter change for $29.99, so why not?

I wish I'd asked for a sample, though. I'd like to see how it looked and would've sent it in for analysis. On well, maybe next time.

Appreciate feedback here LC brothers!

I just did mine yesterday. 1400 miles.

Two things to note:

1. The oil filter was on there tight. I had to go out and buy a wrench to remove it.
This one did the job easily.

2. When refilling the oil, you will NOT be able to get a standard funnel in there. You'll need to buy a threaded funnel (I don't have one, so I don't know the correct size) or use an oil container as a makeshift funnel (3rd pic in the post below).

Meant to but wife drove it more than I thought. Will be getting it in at just over 2K

I just did mine yesterday. 1400 miles.

Two things to note:

1. The oil filter was on there tight. I had to go out and buy a wrench to remove it.
This one did the job easily.

2. When refilling the oil, you will NOT be able to get a standard funnel in there. You'll need to buy a threaded funnel (I don't have one, so I don't know the correct size) or use an oil container as a makeshift funnel (3rd pic in the post below).
This IS helpful because it was tight, I used that exact wrench) (I was afraid of “crimping” the new filter during the tightening.) so I was thinking of getting one of the other wrenches that ppl put on here .It was a BEAR to refil oil because of issues with funnel and… I was using the 5 quart container. I didn’t have the one quart, I have learned from that mistake and I will be buying a few one quart for next time .. especially if I can’t find a good funnel -I see a lot of ppl used those for funnel.

This IS helpful because it was tight, I used that exact wrench) (I was afraid of “crimping” the new filter during the tightening.) so I was thinking of getting one of the other wrenches that ppl put on here .It was a BEAR to refil oil because of issues with funnel and… I was using the 5 quart container. I didn’t have the one quart, I have learned from that mistake and I will be buying a few one quart for next time .. especially if I can’t find a good funnel -I see a lot of ppl used those for funnel.
Amazon for the funnel, search for "Toyota Oil filter wrench kit"

Just did my 1k mile oil change, everything looked normal, oil was darker than I expected and did have a slight fuel smell which I have read is normal.

Filter from factory is on tight asf. Used a Toyota oil filter wrench but the whole process was easy.

The skid plate, is needing removed and there are 2 prongs on the front that it slides into the frame - FYI

* Best tip for a cost effective funnel I have found - the oil bottle will screw into the hole, just cut off the bottom of the 1st qt. and boom, the perfect funnel, and no mess!

* I also took shop paper towels and wrapped a few around the frame under the oil filter drain. We get a little drain that is built in and helps, but will leak onto the frame. Paper towels caught it and there was no mess on the truck itself. Which was awesome and less wiping down afterwards.

All in all, super easy.

It was a BEAR to refil oil because of issues with funnel and… I was using the 5 quart container. I didn’t have the one quart, I have learned from that mistake and I will be buying a few one quart for next time .. especially if I can’t find a good funnel -I see a lot of ppl used those for funnel.
Same. I only had 5 quart jugs on hand and it was a pain to refill the oil.

I'm going to try using something like this the next time I change my oil.

Rt… that is so shallow I was struggling 😂

Did my first at 1100 miles w coupon and will do every 5K miles for future .Mechanic says skid plate bolts were easy to cross thread and warned them ahead of time fortunately.Peopleshould note that mechanics at dealers haven’t hardly experience w our LCs as of August ‘24 .Appreciate input from all.

Back