0W-20 Mobil 1 Truck & SUV?

D-Train

📛 Founding Member
Jul 29, 2024
Media
Denver
Vehicles
LC Underground Premium Sprinter 170
Getting ready to do my first oil change at ~500 miles. It's been a minute since I've had to buy oil, and didn't realize Mobil 1 has branched out into all the different versions of 0W-20? I was all set to just purchase the 'regular' stuff, but that really isn't possible now. I know it 95% marketing, and that they all comform with SAE/etc..

Anyone have any insight into the 'Truck & SUV' variant of Mobil 1? I know this is likely to start a 20 page thread on pretty much no discernible difference! TIA!

Personal opinion. If you want to stick with 0w-20 mobil product, I would use this one.

Can get it at Walmart for ~27 a jug

Getting ready to do my first oil change at ~500 miles. It's been a minute since I've had to buy oil, and didn't realize Mobil 1 has branched out into all the different versions of 0W-20? I was all set to just purchase the 'regular' stuff, but that really isn't possible now. I know it 95% marketing, and that they all comform with SAE/etc..

Anyone have any insight into the 'Truck & SUV' variant of Mobil 1? I know this is likely to start a 20 page thread on pretty much no discernible difference! TIA!
On Mobil 1’s website input 2024 Land Cruiser, truck and suv is one of the recommended oils. It probably has more zinc etc for bearing lubrication at high temp/load. They also list a 0w-20 hybrid and the stand-by extended performance 0w-20. I’ve never seen the hybrid and not sure how it differs. The esp X2 recommended by No15 above is not listed, that is oil for VW group cars conforming to 508/509 standards. I use that in a GTI it is green and very thin.
I need to know more about the 508/509 standard before using it in the LC. The M1 hybrid, truck and suv, extended performance and full synthetic 0w-20’s are all recommended. I use the 6 1-quart bottles of M1 full synthetic 0w-20. Or a 5 quart bottle of extended performance + 1 quart + factory filter all from Walmart.

On Mobil 1’s website input 2024 Land Cruiser, truck and suv is one of the recommended oils. It probably has more zinc etc for bearing lubrication at high temp/load. They also list a 0w-20 hybrid and the stand-by extended performance 0w-20. I’ve never seen the hybrid and not sure how it differs. The esp X2 recommended by No15 above is not listed, that is oil for VW group cars conforming to 508/509 standards. I use that in a GTI it is green and very thin.
I need to know more about the 508/509 standard before using it in the LC. The M1 hybrid, truck and suv, extended performance and full synthetic 0w-20’s are all recommended. I use the 6 1-quart bottles of M1 full synthetic 0w-20. Or a 5 quart bottle of extended performance + 1 quart + factory filter all from Walmart.
508/509, c20 and 229.72 are the reasons I would use this if I was going mobil.

508/509 allows for more z/p than api and the kinematic viscosity is likely higher ( don't have specs in front of me)

I am a fan of euro spec oils because they often have to meet much higher standards than api oils.

It's just my opinion but I won't use a 0w20 either so there is that 😁

Last edited:
Personal opinion. If you want to stick with 0w-20 mobil product, I would use this one.

Can get it at Walmart for ~27 a jug
This is a new VW 508/509 oil and is not recommended by Mobil 1 for the LC engine. There is a lot of discussion among VW owners about this oil and whether M1 5w-30 provides more protection. With a new turbo 4 VW you are kinda stuck using it or VW oil or LiquiMoly or MOTUL specific 508/509. Consensus seems to be it favors MPG and emissions over film strength and resistance to breakdown…. e.g. LiquiMoly’s description.

This is a new VW 508/509 oil and is not recommended by Mobil 1 for the LC engine. There is a lot of discussion among VW owners about this oil and whether M1 5w-30 provides more protection. With a new turbo 4 VW you are kinda stuck using it or VW oil or LiquiMoly or MOTUL specific 508/509. Consensus seems to be it favors MPG and emissions over film strength and resistance to breakdown…. e.g. LiquiMoly’s description.
Yeah but I'm pretty sure the are comparing to 504/507 oils and not other 0w20 oils.

I agree and will be using 0/5w30 in my LC. Nothing beats moft 😀

508/509, c20 and 229.72 are the reasons I would use this if I was going mobil.

508/509 allows for more z/p than api and the kinematic viscosity is likely higher ( don't have specs in front of me)

I am a fan of euro spec oils because they often have to meet much higher standards than api oils.

It's just my opinion but I won't use a 0w20 either so there is that 😁
If not 0w-20 what do you use?

I'm going to use 5w-30 this round.
Specifically

Thanks all for the replies. Most things I've read say that all the Mobil 1 0W-20 oils are almost the same with just very minor differences in the additive packages to market to different segments. You could probably get away with using any of them with no bad result.

Back