Why are folks buying sight unseen?

Ah, my apologies. I am new to this. I think I get it now: I would not be reserving a VIN, just a description of what trim, any options and what color I want - then they find the closest thing, get it in, and ask me (first) if I want it. Correct? Then we would negotiate price?

Ah, my apologies. I am new to this. I think I get it now: I would not be reserving a VIN, just a description of what trim, any options and what color I want - then they find the closest thing, get it in, and ask me (first) if I want it. Correct? Then we would negotiate price?
No need to apologize :). in this specific case I would have been reserving a specific VIN already allocated to the dealer and they gave the specific price. I think some dealers are allowing you to place money to get on an interest list …and others are not. So it just seems to vary by each dealer.

Also price negotiations this early for such a hot new car is probably going to heavily favored to the dealer for a while. I.e. you probably have zero leverage when these things are in such high demand.

No need to apologize :). in this specific case I would have been reserving a specific VIN already allocated to the dealer and they gave the specific price. I think some dealers are allowing you to place money to get on an interest list …and others are not. So it just seems to vary by each dealer.

Also price negotiations this early for such a hot new car is probably going to heavily favored to the dealer for a while. I.e. you probably have zero leverage when these things are in such high demand.
My dealer said he was doing a dealer swap for my Wind Chill Pearl Land Cruiser. When I got home, I saw that there was no VIN with the paperwork. Hopefully, this is on the up and up. The paperwork did show the price as MSRP and he told me that is the sales price. I hope it happens as promised.

That’s how most are putting down deposits- especially if you did it early on, like I did Aug of last year

That’s how most are putting down deposits- especially if you did it early on, like I did Aug of last year
None of the dealers here seem to want to help me buy a LC and i couldnt find any that were taking a customer list up until maybe 8-10 weeks ago. Kind of weird

None of the dealers here seem to want to help me buy a LC and i couldnt find any that were taking a customer list up until maybe 8-10 weeks ago. Kind of weird
Well my salesman was all about the deposit and getting you in line - super friendly... since then .. crickets - and when I text my guy the responses have gotten smaller and smaller in word count - so .. Hope I can pick one up from a different dealer so I can return the attitude- after I get my deposit back, of course.

ah, in this case it's non-refundable depost :/
Well, first of all, run away from that dealer!

For me, this would be my 4th Toyota truck/SUV, and at this point I feel like I know more or less what to expect from Toyota. Something would have to be really wrong for me not to like it. I guess I feel differently about this vs. a car -- when we get a new car we drive several and decide what we want. When I get a new SUV at this point it's more about reliability and features. Still I'm hoping I'll get a chance to see one in a showroom at some point.

My dealer said he was doing a dealer swap for my Wind Chill Pearl Land Cruiser. When I got home, I saw that there was no VIN with the paperwork. Hopefully, this is on the up and up. The paperwork did show the price as MSRP and he told me that is the sales price. I hope it happens as promised.
That's how I got my MR2 a long time ago. To make the trade your dealer must be trading something premium so hopefully they do you right. With my MR2 I was looking for something specific and there was only one in the color I wanted in California. My dealership traded a Land Cruiser or 4 Runner for it if my memory is correct.

Correct. The deposit I have at my dealer is fully refundable, and is based on my liking all the terms such as price, delivery date, options, colours, etc. That said, I highly doubt there will be much price negotiation given the demand, but maybe I'm wrong. Guys in the US are just happy to pay MSRP without additional dealer markups.

Back