Why are folks buying sight unseen?

chris_in_phx

📛 Founding Member
Dec 5, 2023
Phoenix, AZ
Vehicles
Ford F-150
What's everyone's thoughts on why they purchased the LC sight unseen? I got a call from a dealer - I have the opportunity to put a deposit for a LC coming in a few months. I'm really interested, but starting to feel wary of spending this much money on a new SUV that I havent been able to test drive myself.

What's everyone's thoughts on why they purchased the LC sight unseen? I got a call from a dealer - I have the opportunity to put a deposit for a LC coming in a few months. I'm really interested, but starting to feel wary of spending this much money on a new SUV that I havent been able to test drive myself.

It’s all relative I guess… trust the reviews and the engineering -

But then again, I bought our house in WA sight unseen… (was living in Canada during Covid and the US border was closed)

That worked out pretty good so hoping the LC will be the same! 👍🏼

That is a messed up dealership then. I had deposits down at 3 different dealerships and they all were refundable. I got all of it back when I locked down a FE at a different dealership.
Ah - okay good to know. I assumed the deposit for being allocated a "physical" car with a VIN being non-refundable, was normal. Good to know. I'll see if they can make it refundable - because I agree, if I decide for some reason it's not for me, I don't want to lose $500.

I have a $500 refundable deposit down...nothing to lose if I don't want it at time of delivery

I told my dealership what i was interested in. They said they could do a dealer trade and get it for me. I put the $1,000 down and they said it's mine, if I want it, when it arrives.
Wind Chill Pearl
Land Cruiser
20" wheels
luxury package

Good question to ask. After my previous experiences I absolutely need to experience the car in person before committing. I may know upon sitting in it, I’m sure they’ll drive fine. But would find it impossible to evaluate comfort & fit without at least sitting in it first. Do people who buy sight unseen maybe trade more often, so a poor choice might just do something different in a couple years? I know my timeframe (hoping for a decade vehicle) certainly dictates that I need to sit in it first.

Having said that, maybe I do need to consider some non-refundable deposits, but I just don’t know enough yet to engage a dealership & hand over my credit card.

All my recent vehicle purchases have been contracted prior to test driving.
2018 Type R -sold
2022 GX
22 Tacoma -sold
22 Tundra
23 GR Corolla

Pandemic supply chain issues changed everything. Hasn’t been consistent inventory over the last few years so test driving isn’t always an option.

That said, all the vehicles I’ve ordered without testing have been so sought after dealers had no concerns about selling them if I passed, so deposits have always been refundable.

All my recent vehicle purchases have been contracted prior to test driving.
2018 Type R -sold
2022 GX
22 Tacoma -sold
22 Tundra
23 GR Corolla
I bought my GR Corolla without a test drive. I had a '19 Corolla HB 6MT before that I really liked, so I had a pretty good idea that adding 130hp, massive brakes, and a wide body wasn't going to make it worse. haha

I told my dealership what i was interested in. They said they could do a dealer trade and get it for me. I put the $1,000 down and they said it's mine, if I want it, when it arrives.
Wind Chill Pearl
Land Cruiser
20" wheels
luxury package
Same

Well, you never said how you arrived at the PRICE you will pay, if you did. MSRP? Better?

I put a deposit on my GR86 without seeing or driving one. It worked out great. But at least all the magazines etc. had driven them and provided excellent reviews of the 2nd gen car. Putting a deposit on an LC250 the day that they were announced before knowing the price or anyone having driven one is for sure a leap of faith. Having owned a 2010 4Runner Trail Edition for 14 years has given me high confidence that this will work out too. I'll let you know how it goes 🤣

Back