Waiting is the hardest part

Tedster

📛 Founding Member
Jan 17, 2024
Upper MidWest
Vehicles
2022 Ford Maverick XLT, 2.0L, AWD
Hello All,

I’m retired and quite happy enjoying grandchildren with my wonderful wife. In 2022 we purchased a Ford Maverick XLT, 2.0, AWD. The truck is ok with a tendency to lug in city driving. The biggest difficulty is getting the two year old into and out of the baby seat in the back. We have been looking at options and have agreed the 250 is the best overall for us. Now having deciding what we want……,,,,

Good day Tedster! I can relate 100%, i.e. the waiting. Also retired, and the LC will be our next vehicle, IF I am around to see it. :( Our dealer is very frustrating, essentially turning a deaf ear, wishing to sell us a vehicle on the lot. Cannot even place a deposit yet, and add to that the fact Toyota no longer allows one to spec and order a vehicle. We are at Toyota's mercy. Hey, did you notice, I think on a Tacoma forum, a link to the entire Toyota build queue was posted? In Excel format, one can filter down to precisely what is being sought. Of course not a help yet in regard to a LC, but hopefully in the future it will include what we seek. Oh, BTW, have you looked at the Lexus GX550, a sibling to the LC? One sweet vehicle, except the fuel economy. Sadly, our nearest Lexus dealer is many miles distant.

Good day Tedster! I can relate 100%, i.e. the waiting. Also retired, and the LC will be our next vehicle, IF I am around to see it. :( Our dealer is very frustrating, essentially turning a deaf ear, wishing to sell us a vehicle on the lot. Cannot even place a deposit yet, and add to that the fact Toyota no longer allows one to spec and order a vehicle. We are at Toyota's mercy. Hey, did you notice, I think on a Tacoma forum, a link to the entire Toyota build queue was posted? In Excel format, one can filter down to precisely what is being sought. Of course not a help yet in regard to a LC, but hopefully in the future it will include what we seek. Oh, BTW, have you looked at the Lexus GX550, a sibling to the LC? One sweet vehicle, except the fuel economy. Sadly, our nearest Lexus dealer is many miles distant.
I have to say, while I "seem" to be making more headway on my end, the entire process is rather frustrating. It's a painful exercise in patience. Aside from a few Youtube videos here and there that all pretty much say the same thing, we've learned virtually nothing new from official Toyota sources since the original launch date back 5 months ago. No pricing, virtually no spec's, no delivery dates, etc. And like you, as soon as I signed up for LC updates from Toyota, all I got was spam for Corollas, clearout 2023 Tacomas, and the like. I made the decision to move ahead with the LC because the 4Runner was bumped back a year, but at this point, I'm not even confident I'll SEE one before the 4Runner is out.

I have to wonder if these marketing strategies (endless months of "teasers" followed by endless months of crickets) are going to backfire on Toyota, or if this is just the new world we live in now.

Could it be that Toyota is struggling with a battery shortage, or other bottleneck in the hybrid arena? All info is out on, and one is able to configure and to push to the dealer, a GX550, but the GX550h is indefinitely delayed. Hybrid 2024 Tacomas are delayed also.

Yeah its kind of weird and a bummer, how little toyota is sharing about the LC. makes me wonder is something is wrong, and causing delays.

Could it be that Toyota is struggling with a battery shortage, or other bottleneck in the hybrid arena? All info is out on, and one is able to configure and to push to the dealer, a GX550, but the GX550h is indefinitely delayed. Hybrid 2024 Tacomas are delayed also.
That's possible, however I did consider that back 5 months ago when I decided to hitch my wagon to the LC. I find it difficult to believe that Toyota would go ahead and launch a flagship product like Land Cruiser with ONLY a hybrid engine option, and not make their hybrid production prioritized on that product. In fact, that may just explain the hybrid delays in other market segments. Or...that's just wishful thinking on my part.

Yes to all that is being said….and I’ll bet Toyota wants to sell as many units as possible. Perhaps we are experiencing de-globalization and if so, well, who knows what to expect going forward.

Not sure what "de-globalization" means, but certainly the market for the LC250 is global. Cannot recall which, but one of the Nordic countries sold out their allocation in jack time. Seems like I recall 30 minutes? During the last hour was mulling over alternatives with equally strong drive trains, and short of the mentioned GX550, absolutely nothing came to mind for here in the U.S. Well, the Tacoma and Tundra, but don't wish a truck. Strangely, the Sequoia does not seem to offer a full-time 4WD option.

we are all in the same boat ! The thing im most worried about if I actually get hte LC250 and decide on it this calendar year is it getting stolen? what have others planned for this? I guess parking in garage overnight is the best possible thing to do .

we are all in the same boat ! The thing im most worried about if I actually get hte LC250 and decide on it this calendar year is it getting stolen? what have others planned for this? I guess parking in garage overnight is the best possible thing to do .
It has crossed my mind it will be high on the list of targets for theft. Ours will be garaged, and we reside in a very low-crime area, but insurance rates might be eye-opening. Now a 2024 Tacoma pops back into mind, as they will be much more commonplace. Unfortunately, assembled in Mexico, a negative in my thinking.

Yea our rates are very low for postal code . I got a quote for the 2023 gx whicc had a premium but not insane depending on the company . One company quoted 5 x the price cuz of theft for the older gx

Yea our rates are very low for postal code . I got a quote for the 2023 gx whicc had a premium but not insane depending on the company . One company quoted 5 x the price cuz of theft for the older gx
Glad you brought this up, KAHammer!

Definitly calling my insurance agent for a quote in the morning…

I was thinking LoJack (some dealers now require install on new vehicles)

And a dash cam with parking monitoring (blackvue system) has been recommended on mud…

not sure about feasibility of kill switches and other mods on this new LC

Why would a dealer require a LoJack installation? They are not going it let you drive it off the lot unless your insurance is in place. Well, or you paid cash....

Why would a dealer require a LoJack installation? They are not going it let you drive it off the lot unless your insurance is in place. Well, or you paid cash....
This poster mentioned it being a required add on….

I spoke with all 3 dealers in the Raleigh, NC area. All three wanted $1000 refundable deposits.

Leith Toyota Raleigh - They never sell above MSRP

Hendrick Toyota Apex - no markup but all LC will have window tint and LoJack for $2k 😒

Fred Anderson Toyota Raleigh - said should be at MSRP except if they get any First Edition models which might get marked up

I went ahead and put my deposit at Leith. Depending on final pricing will be either a Land Cruiser trim in Heritage Blue or a 1958 in White.

I am not familiar with how a LoJack functions, but would never allow a dealer to modify the factory wiring.

I am not familiar with how a LoJack functions, but would never allow a dealer to modify the factory wiring.
Wiki-LoJack is a stolen vehicle recovery and IoT connected car system that utilizes GPS and cellular technology to locate users' vehicles, view trip history, see battery levels, track speeding, and maintain vehicle health via a native app.

the device is pre installed somewhere in the vehicle at factory or a “certified” tech does it in your driveway

there are many forums across the web that dealers con/require buyers into paying for this all the time. but what they don’t say is that it’s for another purpose…to track the vehicle if you don’t make the payments!

What your paying for is to activate the device essentially….

If it’s on your car and they require you to pay hopefully you get a discount on your insurance, or you just walk away from the sale.

Not sure what "de-globalization" means, but certainly the market for the LC250 is global. Cannot recall which, but one of the Nordic countries sold out their allocation in jack time. Seems like I recall 30 minutes? During the last hour was mulling over alternatives with equally strong drive trains, and short of the mentioned GX550, absolutely nothing came to mind for here in the U.S. Well, the Tacoma and Tundra, but don't wish a truck. Strangely, the Sequoia does not seem to offer a full-time 4WD option.
Apologies, de-globalization for me is the net negative effect on supply lines because of Covid, political maneuvering, and the issues of population reductions in the coming years. What I meant to convey is getting stuff to make stuff is harder and hitting worldwide (eg. Ford cannot make enough Mavericks because of supply constraints).

I too was surprised how fast pre-orders took off in Germany and agree with you that the LC250 is the best option for an SUV 4x4.

Funny how things work out in life, struggle like all get out to have a successful product, hit it out of the park with potential customers only to find demand/ conditions outstrips production. From my own experience, it turned out hard work somewhat made up for so so products 😝

And now, exercising patience for a LC250 when the local dealership will only commit to, “We will call when our allocations are known”, reasonable but not satisfactory.

I have to say, while I "seem" to be making more headway on my end, the entire process is rather frustrating. It's a painful exercise in patience. Aside from a few Youtube videos here and there that all pretty much say the same thing, we've learned virtually nothing new from official Toyota sources since the original launch date back 5 months ago. No pricing, virtually no spec's, no delivery dates, etc. And like you, as soon as I signed up for LC updates from Toyota, all I got was spam for Corollas, clearout 2023 Tacomas, and the like. I made the decision to move ahead with the LC because the 4Runner was bumped back a year, but at this point, I'm not even confident I'll SEE one before the 4Runner is out.

I have to wonder if these marketing strategies (endless months of "teasers" followed by endless months of crickets) are going to backfire on Toyota, or if this is just the new world we live in now.
This could be a new world for desired vehicles launch.
I recall how Ford completely botched the release of the new retro Thunderbird. The marketing team was the laughing stock of the industry.

Back