Realistic Waiting Time

Sadly, what would be an alternative brand/vehicle to the LC?
You have your choice of Toyota or Toyota here. Your friendly local Toyota dealer will happily put you behind the wheel of whatever 4R or LC they can get. Or you can travel to the nearest Lexus dealer for a GX.

Sadly nobody else is playing in this space. Ford or Jeep will offer you a Bronco or Wrangler obviously, but not the same car. That removable roof makes all the difference. If your bias is a little more on road you could choose an Explorer or Grand Cherokee of course, both good choices.

Subaru & Honda are too car based to offer anything similar. GM & Nissan totally missed the boat on bringing anything to market. Except their midsize pickups, which if you’re willing to go truck vs SUV that does open up many more choices.

I was lucky to get an allocation a few weeks ago and was told the build date was 5/3. I got my vin # as well. No ADM is a good thing.

Any way to check on build status with the vin #?

Agreed. We were third on my local dealer's list for a FE with a deposit, but when they could only offer me a black one, the husband went to work. Due to an extremely helpful man at Hatch Toyota in Show Low, AZ (SO to TJ!), we located two in Mesa, AZ. Dealer wanted 10k over TSRP. We offered 3k, and it was accepted. Ultimately, at this price point, I'd rather pay 3k over asking and get the exact car I want. I expect to keep it forever. We signed a doc from the dealer and paid 5k. It arrived in Long Beach this morning!
Black vehicles in AZ or FL aren't a hot commodity.

I was lucky to get an allocation a few weeks ago and was told the build date was 5/3. I got my vin # as well. No ADM is a good thing.

Any way to check on build status with the vin #?
The Toyota website will have your dealers inventory. It should show up there with an estimated “available” date. Good luck!

I think these lists will contract pretty materially now that vehicles are shipping. I have refundable deposits at two Toyota dealers and am on a "will call" list at a Lexus dealer, I ended up agreeing to buy a LC at a non-list dealer and as soon as I get delivery I'm dropping off three lists.

Add in the new 4Runner and I bet half or more of the list just evaporates in the next 6 months.

Reach out to dealers in your area, some smaller dealers may have better availability. I had a dealer about an hour away from me offer me a LC in a color / option combo I wasn't interested in so I turned it down, there will be random allocations available if you are active.

I think these lists will contract pretty materially now that vehicles are shipping. I have refundable deposits at two Toyota dealers and am on a "will call" list at a Lexus dealer, I ended up agreeing to buy a LC at a non-list dealer and as soon as I get delivery I'm dropping off three lists.

Add in the new 4Runner and I bet half or more of the list just evaporates in the next 6 months.

Reach out to dealers in your area, some smaller dealers may have better availability. I had a dealer about an hour away from me offer me a LC in a color / option combo I wasn't interested in so I turned it down, there will be random allocations available if you are active.
Same thing happened to me this morning. A dealer had a black one in LC trim for $68K, which is TSRP. I turned it down. I have had all the black cars I ever wanted... Holding out for Heritage Blue in LC trim.

I was 3rd on the list for a First Edition at my dealership. Lucky for me - the first 2 dropped out when the prices were announced. I'm not really sure if they dropped out from price though, because it was inline with estimates. I think the list will shorten a lot as well with the new 4runner generation announcement and also new Lexux GX550 Overtrail. Not to mention even people on multiple lists...

Exactly! Well summarized!

Here's my experience so far... I wore out the online inventory search tool and plugged in zip codes from around the country, searched 500 mile radii and when I found a trim level without dealer markup, I contacted the dealership. They usually reach out very quickly to your inquiry and then you can asses what they really have in their pipeline and how willing to work with someone from outside their territory. They often show future inventory and allocations on their dealer websites, but these are just decoys as many are spoken for. Some were not friendly and required to meet me in person before agreeing to let me give them a deposit and some were helpful but had limited knowledge of their allocations, if they had any. I want desperately to work with my local dealerships, but in a small state, I doubt they'll have much to offer for a long time and without allocations, won't have any clout to make trades.

I was shocked last week, when a salesperson at a dealer 5 hours away wanted my business and was able to make an "allocation trade" with another dealership for a spec that was 95% what I was looking for and at MSRP! It's on a ship headed to Portland right now, so intercepting and re-directing it before leaving Portland was possible. She was super helpful and seems to really want to make the deal work out, when she didn't know me from beans and an "out-of-stater"! Deposit paid!

I had a dealer 2 hrs away in the same State refused to sell a FE to me saying I wasnt in there market so pound sand. WTF they are all just making up rules and regs to suit themselves.

Exactly! Well summarized!

Here's my experience so far... I wore out the online inventory search tool and plugged in zip codes from around the country, searched 500 mile radii and when I found a trim level without dealer markup, I contacted the dealership. They usually reach out very quickly to your inquiry and then you can asses what they really have in their pipeline and how willing to work with someone from outside their territory. They often show future inventory and allocations on their dealer websites, but these are just decoys as many are spoken for. Some were not friendly and required to meet me in person before agreeing to let me give them a deposit and some were helpful but had limited knowledge of their allocations, if they had any. I want desperately to work with my local dealerships, but in a small state, I doubt they'll have much to offer for a long time and without allocations, won't have any clout to make trades.

I was shocked last week, when a salesperson at a dealer 5 hours away wanted my business and was able to make an "allocation trade" with another dealership for a spec that was 95% what I was looking for and at MSRP! It's on a ship headed to Portland right now, so intercepting and re-directing it before leaving Portland was possible. She was super helpful and seems to really want to make the deal work out, when she didn't know me from beans and an "out-of-stater"! Deposit paid!
I got my 99 SR5 from a Little Rock Toyota dealership in March of 1999. Salesman in OK drove an in demand Solaris for trade and returned from Little Rock with my new SR5. As I recall it cost me about $300 for the travel expense. Back then the SR5 listed for 32K, and I paid 30K. Good deal at the time as Toyotas were priced high.

Uncle Spike
Some dealers only want to sell in their market so they can service the vehicle after the sell. Dealers make more money in service than selling the vehicle. Mercedes dealer told they make 2 million dollars per month thru their service department. It’s all about making money unfortunately.

Uncle Spike
Some dealers only want to sell in their market so they can service the vehicle after the sell. Dealers make more money in service than selling the vehicle. Mercedes dealer told they make 2 million dollars per month thru their service department. It’s all about making money unfortunately.
Hmm dealer sympathy in this forum? well thats a first =)

Sorry I have absolutely zero sympathy for dealers. I was stating what I have learned over the years. I put deposits at 4 dealerships for the Fe because I have learned the tricks of dealerships especially Toyota. I have never paid above mrsp and never will.

Uncle Spike
I recently had a dealer only 2 hours away, same state tell me that if I had a trade and needed financing thru Toyota that would help- I have neither so I was turned down as well -

Every owner of a car dealership that I have ever known, has owned their own airplane. From single engine to Gulfstream jets, these guys make a lot of dough. Elon Musk tried to change that system with his online ordering model. But, clearly, Tesla (Musk) still makes a ton of money. It just doesn’t get spread around as much as with a Toyota dealership. No one forces us to buy a new vehicle. We choose to, and for some reason, we just keep on doing it. I’m paying MSRP for my LC FE. But, I almost took the bait and payed $5000 over. Good luck everyone. Like every car I have ever owned (about 25 new ones) the prices will come down in time. If money is tight for you, don’t sacrifice your happiness by paying over MSRP and high interest rates. Wait until prices, rates, and demand come down.

Allocations come early in the month and again mid month. No exact date just depends on the month. New allocation for this month should be here or coming within the next few days.

My dealer got their new allocation yesterday so it should be right around this time.

Back