Oil changing the 2024 Land Cruiser

I plan on doing 2.5k miles oil change interval because it's turbo charged, my naturally aspirated vehicles get 4k miles interval
What oil do you use ? For me the Oi change mileage/interval is incredibly low in US, as well as the basic oil change cost.
$15 + tax for a Nissan SUV at the dealership is SF :rolleyes: (not sure it is still possible today, but I did it in 2019 in Texas)
2.5k-3k miles or three months interval are SF also., as I have cars with manufacturer's indication to change oil every 12500 miles/2 years. Fully Synthetic. Turbo included.
Today most manufacturers recommend max 1 year interval, even for low mileage.

And look what Toyota US says:

Q&A:

"My vehicle uses conventional motor oil, but Iโ€™m thinking about switching to synthetic motor oil. Can I do this ?
Yes, as long as the synthetic oil is the same viscosity (weight) as the recommended conventional oil, and meets or exceeds the oil grade. However, the oil change interval will still remain every 5,000 miles or 6 months even if using synthetic oil. "

"If I have a Toyota that uses synthetic oil with a 10,000-mile oil change interval, why do I need to come in for service every 5,000-miles/6-months?

Toyota recommends other services that should be performed on your vehicle such as a tire rotation, fluid level inspection and brake inspection. Please refer to your vehicle's Warranty and Maintenance Guide."

Money talks !

I plan on doing 2.5k miles oil change interval because it's turbo charged, my naturally aspirated vehicles get 4k miles interval
If you do 2.5K oil changes, can I be in line for your used vehicles? I do 6 months or 5K, whichever occurs first. Since we presently only log roughly 4K/year, it actually ends up being roughly 2K intervals. In any case, I like your plan, albeit possibly overkill. Better safe than sorry.

What oil do you use ? For me the Oi change mileage/interval is incredibly low in US, as well as the basic oil change cost.
$15 + tax for a Nissan SUV at the dealership is SF :rolleyes: (not sure it is still possible today, but I did it in 2019 in Texas)
2.5k-3k miles or three months interval are SF also., as I have cars with manufacturer's indication to change oil every 12500 miles/2 years. Fully Synthetic. Turbo included.
Today most manufacturers recommend max 1 year interval, even for low mileage.

Have not yet decided, but most likely I'll use Amsoil Signature Series 0W-20 if it meets the specs for the vehicle. Not all synthetic oils are created the same, and as you pointed it out European spec oil got different additives packages.
LC has a totally different drivetrain setup in the US compared to what's being launched in Europe so I'd say Toyota probably took consideration in continental differences when planning this global vehicle.
Why US oil change interval shorter?
My take:
  • legacy mineral oil 3k interval still not a distant memory, people were/are used to it
  • many people drive under severe operating conditions, many don't even realize it, such as city driving, winter driving, idling.
  • not verified, just my speculation, European gasoline is better quality and less impurities. We have government mandated corn alcohol adulterated gasoline to help subsidize farmers at the expense of vehicle longevity.

If you do 2.5K oil changes, can I be in line for your used vehicles? I do 6 months or 5K, whichever occurs first. Since we presently only log roughly 4K/year, it actually ends up being roughly 2K intervals. In any case, I like your plan, albeit possibly overkill. Better safe than sorry.
Sure, but I intent to keep my cars VERY long hence I take ultra care of them. It'll be a while if I decide to sell, unless I really dislike it for other reasons.
I'm taking a gamble on this new Land Cruiser though, brand new model first batch production always can have some issues. If I encounter 3 problems within the first 2 years, I'll have it repaired under warranty and then put it up for sale.

2.5k interval on the turbo isn't really too overkill, on some Toyota models, such as GR Corolla, the owner's manual states 2.5k interval under severe operating conditions.
Toyota and many other OEMs set their interval with planned obsolescence in mind. Oil analysis labs focus on oil's lubricating property, but I think changing out the oil early so that the contaminants get removed is helpful.

Have not yet decided, but most likely I'll use Amsoil Signature Series 0W-20 if it meets the specs for the vehicle. Not all synthetic oils are created the same, and as you pointed it out European spec oil got different additives packages.
LC has a totally different drivetrain setup in the US compared to what's being launched in Europe so I'd say Toyota probably took consideration in continental differences when planning this global vehicle.
Why US oil change interval shorter?
My take:
  • legacy mineral oil 3k interval still not a distant memory, people were/are used to it
  • many people drive under severe operating conditions, many don't even realize it, such as city driving, winter driving, idling.
  • not verified, just my speculation, European gasoline is better quality and less impurities. We have government mandated corn alcohol adulterated gasoline to help subsidize farmers at the expense of vehicle longevity.
Price on Amsoil? Yep, top quality, true synthetic as I understand it, but terribly pricy. For me, I think Mobil 1 at 5K/6 months should be more than adequate.

I'm curious, what is different regarding the LC drivetrain in Europe?

Regarding fuel, again, was not aware European gasoline is of a higher quality. To this end, here in the U.S. I only use Top Tier rated gasoline.

Price on Amsoil? Yep, top quality, true synthetic as I understand it, but terribly pricy. For me, I think Mobil 1 at 5K/6 months should be more than adequate.

I'm curious, what is different regarding the LC drivetrain in Europe?

Regarding fuel, again, was not aware European gasoline is of a higher quality. To this end, here in the U.S. I only use Top Tier rated gasoline.
Amsoil is definitely not cheap, I use it only because I have membership and price dropped to acceptable level. Also Mobil 1 a lot of counterfeits on the internet.

I think the major difference is they have diesel and we get i-Force Max (hybrid). As for the turbo 2.4 engine, it could be the exact same both US and Europe

Sure, but I intent to keep my cars VERY long hence I take ultra care of them. It'll be a while if I decide to sell, unless I really dislike it for other reasons.
This begs a question. If you keep your vehicles for a VERY long time, are you comfortable with a LC, i.e. a hybrid? Looking down the road, I envision battery chemistry/technology taking major leaps in the not too distant future. The CEO of Toyota has said as much. So, this said, I am seriously considering the Lexus GX550.

I think the major difference is they have diesel and we get i-Force Max (hybrid). As for the turbo 2.4 engine, it could be the exact same both US and Europe
Oh, HOW I wish the diesel was available here in the U.S.!

This begs a question. If you keep your vehicles for a VERY long time, are you comfortable with a LC, i.e. a hybrid? Looking down the road, I envision battery chemistry/technology taking major leaps in the not too distant future. The CEO of Toyota has said as much. So, this said, I am seriously considering the Lexus GX550.
I'd be more comfortable with non hybrid for sure, but this is the hand we're dealt so not much choice here.
My true forever vehicle is going to be the 5th gen 4Runner. This LC if I get 10-15 years out of it, I consider it mission accomplished.
It's too early to judge this i-Force Max hybrid system, so I intend on using their hybrid warranty if anything goes wrong.

GX 550 is probably a lot better for you if you drive so few miles, hybrids don't like to sit.
I just love the styling of LC so much, otherwise I'd consider an overtrail +

I'd be more comfortable with non hybrid for sure, but this is the hand we're dealt so not much choice here.
My true forever vehicle is going to be the 5th gen 4Runner. This LC if I get 10-15 years out of it, I consider it mission accomplished.
It's too early to judge this i-Force Max hybrid system, so I intend on using their hybrid warranty if anything goes wrong.

GX 550 is probably a lot better for you if you drive so few miles, hybrids don't like to sit.
I just love the styling of LC so much, otherwise I'd consider an overtrail +
Is your impression that this IForce Max hybrid, like some Toyota's hybrid models many years ago, will not start if left unused for 2-3 weeks?

Is your impression that this IForce Max hybrid, like some Toyota's hybrid models many years ago, will not start if left unused for 2-3 weeks?
If the 12v battery is healthy, it should last more than 1 month in a hybrid vehicle if there's no abnormal draw, and should start the vehicle without problem.
What I meant by hybrids don't like to sit is more related to the high voltage battery. It likes to be frequently charging and discharging within a comfortable range of charge. Although it's impossible to overcharge it in a hybrid, if left unused for months, the high voltage battery will start losing charge and being at too low of the charged state is not good for the health of the battery.

I try to drive my hybrid at least once a week, but there shouldn't be any problem if you just take 2-3 weeks hiatus.

If the 12v battery is healthy, it should last more than 1 month in a hybrid vehicle if there's no abnormal draw, and should start the vehicle without problem.
What I meant by hybrids don't like to sit is more related to the high voltage battery. It likes to be frequently charging and discharging within a comfortable range of charge. Although it's impossible to overcharge it in a hybrid, if left unused for months, the high voltage battery will start losing charge and being at too low of the charged state is not good for the health of the battery.

I try to drive my hybrid at least once a week, but there shouldn't be any problem if you just take 2-3 weeks hiatus.
Good thoughts! As the sought-after vehicle may sit for weeks during the non-off-roading season, this is definitely steering me towards a non-hybrid, i.e. the sibling Lexus GX550. As far as the 12V battery, one can use a good trickle/pulse charger to keep it healthy, as I do with other machines, such as a generator and lawn mower.

I plan on following the owner's manual exactly. If Toyota says 10k for non severe condition, I'll follow 10k. They built and tested the thing, so they know better than I do about how to maintain it.

My GR Corolla recommends 5k OCIs for non severe. It is a 1.6L making 300hp instead of a 2.4L making ~275hp. I expect that Toyota assumes that the driver of a GR Corolla is significantly harder on the vehicle than the driver of a Highlander or Tacoma, too, and that plays into the OCI recommendation. Funny how I drive exactly the speed limit and not aggressive at all in my 4Runner, but I hit every onramp like it is my last in the GR Corolla. haha. There's also the fact that the Land Cruiser is a hybrid where the electric motor will be taking a bit of the workload off the gas engine.

I plan on following the owner's manual exactly. If Toyota says 10k for non severe condition, I'll follow 10k. They built and tested the thing, so they know better than I do about how to maintain it.
My opinion is they designed and built it to last the duration of the warranty if 10K oil changes are done. However, again in my opinion, one might be able to do the 10K routine if that 10K is accomplished in highway driving within a 6-month time frame, and a top-quality "synthetic" oil is used. The reason for the quotes is that what is called full synthetic is typically not, but highly-refined dino oil. The genuine synthetics are super-pricy.

Last edited:
Good thoughts! As the sought-after vehicle may sit for weeks during the non-off-roading season, this is definitely steering me towards a non-hybrid, i.e. the sibling Lexus GX550. As far as the 12V battery, one can use a good trickle/pulse charger to keep it healthy, as I do with other machines, such as a generator and lawn mower.
That or upgrade to AGM battery that can withstand deep cycles, also no corrosion. I have them on my 4Runner and Tacoma, one with a tune and the other with diode modification, to increase alternator charging voltage to 14.5v to properly charge AGM.

Yet, Land Cruiser too new, I have to go pull up my multimeter and see what the stock charging voltage is and decide.
Screenshot 2024-02-11 at 12.29.47 PM.png

Good idea carpoor. However, I would be a bit nervous to attempt any electrical modification on a hybrid. No alternator on our Highlander, and I think not on the new LC either. Good care on a traditional lead-acid goes a long way, as a 2005 4Runner we owned still had the OEM Panasonic battery at 16 years. This begs a question, what type of 12V battery does our 2021 highlander employ? Have never looked closely, as they located in the far right rear of the vehicle. Time to take a peek, as if traditional, it may need the fluid topped off.

My opinion is they designed and built it to last the duration of the warranty if 10K oil changes are done. However, again in my opinion, one might be able to do the 10K routine if that 10K is accomplished in highway driving within a 6-month time frame, and a top-quality "synthetic" oil is used. The reason for the quotes is that what is called full synthetic is typically not, but highly-refined dino oil. The genuine synthetics are super-pricy.
JMO, if I had the slightest inkling that the design criteria of any newly released car was only the warranty period, there's zero chance that I would purchase that vehicle. I'd buy something used that had a track record of being durable.

Also, Toyota has been doing 10k OCIs for 14 years now and countless vehicles are on the roads humming along at 250k miles with that recommendation. There's no evidence that Toyota's reliability or durability took a nose dive with the 10k OCIs. If you are really paranoid about it, pull a small sample at 5k and send it to Blackstone labs. That will give you some idea of how your driving cycle meshes with Toyota's recommendation. Unless you do a ton of city driving, I almost guarantee they will tell you that your oil easily has another 5k miles in it.

JMO, if I had the slightest inkling that the design criteria of any newly released car was only the warranty period, there's zero chance that I would purchase that vehicle. I'd buy something used that had a track record of being durable.

Also, Toyota has been doing 10k OCIs for 14 years now and countless vehicles are on the roads humming along at 250k miles with that recommendation. There's no evidence that Toyota's reliability or durability took a nose dive with the 10k OCIs. If you are really paranoid about it, pull a small sample at 5k and send it to Blackstone labs. That will give you some idea of how your driving cycle meshes with Toyota's recommendation. Unless you do a ton of city driving, I almost guarantee they will tell you that your oil easily has another 5k miles in it.

Ha, knew I was going to get that video in response.

Here's my perspective as a manufacturing and quality engineer that has been building engines and transmissions for 17 years. I've durability tested 3 new engine projects and been responsible for warranty investigation and countermeasures as part of my career.

He didn't do any root cause analysis on that engine. He pulled it out, found stuck rings, and blamed it on the oil changes. He didn't analyze how it was being driven. He didn't analyze that the piston rings and lands were built correctly (size and surface finish). He didn't confirm that there were no dings or damage on the rings or lands that could cause them to stick. He didn't confirm that there weren't issues with the crank case ventilation system. He blamed the easily digestible thing that makes for a good FUD YouTube video. He told you the thing that 1) lets his video spread like wildfire among Toyota buyers [that care about reliability above all else] and 2) keeps his garage bay full at doing low risk, easy work. Even his head in hand cover photo is designed to game the YouTube algorithm.

1634641823875.jpeg

Back