Oil changing the 2024 Land Cruiser

How will the oil change be like on the T24a-fts hybrid engine?
Yes, I would like to know this also! Just a guess, but if with a skidplate, it might be a pain. Hopefully Toyota will incorporate an access plate, versus removing the entire skidplate, but they are not renowned for doing this. I wish at the Hawaii event someone would have filmed underbody to show this. NOBODY is allowed to change my oil but me, and never have, even at age 81 and 2+ million miles logged.

I expect oil changes will be similar to other Toyota vehicles. I'm planning to perform all the maintenance myself.

This will be my first vehicle with a forced induction engine, and I have not yet decided on the oil type or oil change frequency. I was planning to use Mobil 1 Extended Performance 0W-20, however I may decide to go with Amsoil Signature Series 0W-20. I’ve always used Mobil 1, but I suspect Amsoil may be the premium choice.

This subject is discussed ad infinitum on many forums, so hopefully I don’t burn to many calories raising the subject here.

100% agreed on doing one's own oil changes! The dealer will use bulk minimum requirement oil, i.e. if Toyota specifies synthetic will the dealer comply? Then there is the lube bay technician who was hired last week and over-tightens or strips the drain plug. Will probably stick with Mobil 1 at 5K or 6 months, whichever occurs first. We only drive about 4K/year, so in actuality the changes occur roughly every 2K, admittedly gross overkill odometer-wise. Happy to see that 0W-20 is called for, not hard-to-find 0W-16, or even more difficult to find 0W-8 as is now specified for the 2.5l normally-aspirated powerplant.

Hi all !!!
The oil changee method for a Toyota hybrid engine mayi vary depending on the model and year of manufacture.
, here is the procedure I followed on my own car. If you think it is compatible with yours, you can adopt it.

First, I took care to gather the manufacturer's recommended engine oil, a new oil filter, an oil filter wrench, a socket wrench for the drain plug, and a pan of draining. It is crucial to eemphasize thatt you must be careful when choosing the oil for the oil change. It is imperative to use an oil recommended by the manufacturer or your mechanicc in order to avoid any mistkes, like the one I mad previously. I used an engine oil drain pump with BOLK 5W40 oil instead of the 10w40 engine oil recommended by my mechanicc. I hope you don't make the same mistake.

I've decided on Mobil 1 Extended Performance 0W-20 every six months. I drive 4-6K miles per year. David from Automotive Press had a Nissan factory engine builder advocating for replacing the filter every other oil change when adopting frequent oil changes, and I may adopt that practice after engine break-in.

A Mobil 1 fan myself. I prefer WIX filters, but not sure I could bring myself to only replacing it every other oil change. Every 6 months or 5K miles. Older than dirt, we only drive roughly 3.5K yearly, so yes, overkill, but cheap insurance. Oh, and the initial oil/filter change at 1-1.5K.

I use Mobil 1 filters currently. I had a new Fram with the filter element loose in the housing; that was the last Fram filter I purchased. Typical automotive oil filters don’t provide any indication when they go into bypass mode, and that could be justification for replacing the oil filter every 6 months.

I'm still working though the break-in procedure which will include at least one early oil/filter change. My preference is to control the loading/pressures inside the cylinders, so I'm considering periodically disabling the hybrid system to accomplish that during break-in.

"Typical automotive oil filters don’t provide any indication when they go into bypass mode, and that could be justification for replacing the oil filter every 6 months."

Somewhere, possibly on the WIX website, I found their data regarding the bypass mode PSI. Would hope that would never occur, the filter so contaminated it defaults to bypass mode.

"I'm still working though the break-in procedure which will include at least one early oil/filter change. My preference is to control the loading/pressures inside the cylinders, so I'm considering periodically disabling the hybrid system to accomplish that during break-in."
Sad, so many folks dismiss the importance of proper break-in, some of our kids included. I cringe when they would purchase a vehicle, say 500 miles from home, and immediately jump on the Interstate. Of course, I am probably overkill in the opposite direction...

My concern would be the filter inadvertently going into bypass mode due to failure of the bypass function. Most folks should not have to worry about this because someone at the filter manufacturer has taken the actions to ensure this will not happen.

Albeit the bearing clearances were not as today, but logged many commuter miles in original VW Beetles, on dirt/silt desert roads. Once went into a "silt pool" as if driving on water, and did a 180. Those engines did not have oil filters, just a coarse screen which would stop something the size of a BB. When doing engine rebuilds the crank/rod bearings were always in pristine condition. It amazed me. I did use a magnetic drain plug, but that was aftermarket as I recall.

This pic shows the new Tacoma non hybrid iForce I4 has a spin on vs cartridge oil filter. Will be interesting to see if it’s the same on LC iForce Max hybrid.

Attachments

• IMG_7335.png
    IMG_7335.png
    611.5 KB · Views: 52
I expect the oil filter will be in the same location on the LC250. We'll get the sepentine belt driven water pump as well. Hopefully we will get the back-up 12v starter like the Tundra hybrid; I have not been able to confirm yet.

I expect the oil filter will be in the same location on the LC250. We'll get the sepentine belt driven water pump as well. Hopefully we will get the back-up 12v starter like the Tundra hybrid; I have not been able to confirm yet.
The backup 12v starter would be nice!

What is the "back-up 12V starter" ?

How do we feel about the filter mounted directly on the oil cooler? Haven’t seen this on a Toyota or any other car for that matter. I’m loving the simple yet nifty little molded in “funnel” that routes filter oil drainage without it running through a labyrinth of passage ways! Looking at you Bronco 2.3…

Last edited:
It seems the benefit may be keeping the oil cooler as clean as possible without periodic flushing. I like the funnel as well. I can't think of a similar application of an oil filter installation on the oil cooler.

I plan on doing 2.5k miles oil change interval because it's turbo charged, my naturally aspirated vehicles get 4k miles interval

Back