Land Cruiser vs 4Runner

According to the reveal it will have an option for full-time 4wd and center locker. 4Runner Reveal
From what I've been able to find in the press materials, the two off-road trims will have part time 4WD and a real locker only. Full time 4WD and the additional center diff lock will only be options/standard on the "premium" Limited and Platinum trims. That's very confusing to me (and a few articles I've read) -- my FJ TTUE has full time 4WD, rear and center locking differentials, and special (not that special but at least non-standard) off-road suspension. Why would the 4Runner off-road trims not have all that? It looks like you have to choose between off-road suspension (TRD Pro and Trailhunter) or additional useful offered features (full time 4WD and center locking diff). Why not both? Unless that somehow turns out to be wrong and the TRD Pro and Trailhunter have an option for full time 4WD and both locking diffs, I'm inclined to get the LC and upgrade the suspension (as opposed to getting a Platinum trim 4Runner and doing the same).

BTW, expanding on a table from here I added my FJ for my own comparison chart. This is to the best of my knowledge, let me know if you see errors or have more info!

Edit(s) to update the table.

Specs2014 FJ TTUE MT2024 Toyota Land Cruiser (LC trim)2025 Toyota 4Runner Offroad Trims (TRD Off-Road/ TRD Pro / Trailhunter)2025 Toyota 4Runner Premium Trims (Limited / Platinum)
Engine4.0-liter V6Turbocharged 2.4-Liter Four-Cylinder HybridTurbocharged 2.4-Liter Four-Cylinder Hybrid (optional on Off-Road)Turbocharged 2.4-Liter Four-Cylinder Hybrid (optional on Limited)
Transmission6-Speed Manual8-Speed Automatic8-Speed Automatic8-Speed Automatic
Power260 HP / 271 lb-ft326 HP / 465 lb-ft326 HP / 465 lb-ft326 HP / 465 lb-ft
Full-Time 4WD With Two-Speed Transfer CaseYes (MT only)YesNo (part time only)Optional/Yes
Rear Diff LockYesYesYes?
Center Diff LockYesYesNoYes
Weight4343/5570 lbs5037.5/6725 lbs??
Stabilizer Bar DisconnectNoYesYesYes
Multi-Terrain SelectNoYesYesYes
CRAWL ControlNoYesYesYes
Downhill Assist ControlNoYesYesYes
A-TRACYesYesYesYes
Multi-Terrain MonitorNoYesYesYes
Towing4,700 lbs6,000 Pounds6,000 Pounds6,000 Pounds
Wheelbase105.9 Inches112.2 Inches112.2 Inches112.2 Inches
Overall Length183.9 in.193.8 Inches194.9 Inches194.9 Inches
Overall Width75.0 in.77.9 Inches77.8 Inches77.8 Inches
Overall Height72.0 in.76.1 Inches70.8 Inches70.8 Inches
Height w/ Rack????
Ground Clearance (Inches)9.68.0 or 8.7 ?Up to ~10.2 ?9.2 ?
Approach Angle34313232
Departure Angle31222424
Breakover Angle27.425??
Tire Size265/75R16265/70R18??
MPG17/20 MPG22/25??
Gas Tank19.0 gal.17.9 gal.??
Range323.0/380.0 mi.393.80/447.50??

Notes:
Toyota gives two LC clearance specs on different pages.
4R Trailhunter is lifted at least 1.5" vs. standard, unclear if that one is 9.2 or if it's raised to around 10"

Sources:
2024 Toyota Land Cruiser Returns to its Origin - Toyota USA Newsroom
2024 Toyota Land Cruiser Specifications | Toyota.com
2025 Toyota 4Runner Refines Adventure Ready Heritage - Toyota USA Newsroom

Last edited:
IMO, interior is going to massively separate the 4Runner and Land Cruiser. The Land Cruiser interior appears to be very well made and subtly stylish. The 4Runner interior is going to be an acquired taste at best.
This has to be true...having owned two of each in the past, if Toyota makes the interiors similar, I'm going to be irritated. For example, the glass on the old URJ200's glass was thicker and the vehicle had a lot of overall sound deadening material...it dramatically different. I'm praying that type of subtle difference still remains.

My 4runners sounded like garbage when the door shut and driving down the road. The LC felt like a tank in both scenarios. IDK...we'll see.

Doug Demuro's video was comparing the interior of the Land Cruiser vs the new 4Runner, and he felt that the 4Runner's interior was better - or at least more interesting. (less boring) Other than the placement of the infotainment screen, I kind of agree with him. Not that I dislike the LC's interior, but it is a little dull.

This has to be true...having owned two of each in the past, if Toyota makes the interiors similar, I'm going to be irritated. For example, the glass on the old URJ200's glass was thicker and the vehicle had a lot of overall sound deadening material...it dramatically different. I'm praying that type of subtle difference still remains.

My 4runners sounded like garbage when the door shut and driving down the road. The LC felt like a tank in both scenarios. IDK...we'll see.
I spent some time watching the first drive videos last night, and that sounds to be the case. Many reviewers commented on the quiet on-road manners, and more luxury, less "trucky" feel of the LC vs the Tacoma/4Runner.

I'm very confused why they would offer both the 4runner and LC, they are essentially the same car now. Why did they not make a vehicle that would actually compete with Jeep and Bronco off road?

Trust them. They are not stupid. 4Runner is very flexible you can get any configuration you want. It will (still) be the best seller.

I'm very confused why they would offer both the 4runner and LC, they are essentially the same car now. Why did they not make a vehicle that would actually compete with Jeep and Bronco off road?
The Land Cruiser will have a taller, more airy cabin. I expect it will be more premium as far as the items that don’t fill out a spec sheet.

I’d assume that they don’t make a Jeep or Bronco competitor because the spreadsheets say that it isn’t going to be profitable based on their regulatory and logistical boundary conditions as a business… or a different model is on the horizon to do that.

The Land Cruiser will have a taller, more airy cabin. I expect it will be more premium as far as the items that don’t fill out a spec sheet.

I’d assume that they don’t make a Jeep or Bronco competitor because the spreadsheets say that it isn’t going to be profitable based on their regulatory and logistical boundary conditions as a business… or a different model is on the horizon to do that.
It's just too bad that Toyota doesn't have a real competent off roader sold in the US

This will sound like a strange thing to compare, but it’s one that I’ve been thinking about..
Why is the 4Runner Platinum offered with Heated Rear Seats, but the Land Cruiser has no such option? If the LC is the more premium / luxury of the vehicles, I’d think it would be standard or at least an option as it is in the 4r.

I think if you’re building it based on the hybrid, there will probably be a value equation with the forerunner maybe in the off-road trim. And then you have the specific off-road trims of the forerunner which have different applications.

The Prado has always had a different world wide application.

This will sound like a strange thing to compare, but it’s one that I’ve been thinking about..
Why is the 4Runner Platinum offered with Heated Rear Seats, but the Land Cruiser has no such option? If the LC is the more premium / luxury of the vehicles, I’d think it would be standard or at least an option as it is in the 4r.
Good point. I no longer have kids, so heated rear seat isn't that important, but you'd think at least higher trim LC's would have it.

Doug Demuro's video was comparing the interior of the Land Cruiser vs the new 4Runner, and he felt that the 4Runner's interior was better - or at least more interesting. (less boring) Other than the placement of the infotainment screen, I kind of agree with him. Not that I dislike the LC's interior, but it is a little dull.
One man's "dull" is another man's "timeless". ;)

Good point. I no longer have kids, so heated rear seat isn't that important, but you'd think at least higher trim LC's would have it.
Heated rear seats will complicate removing the rear seats. Taller cargo area and easily removable rear seats are to plusses that the Land Cruiser has over the 4Runner for those that want to car camp.

Chevy did answer though.

With the Blazer.

Can't believe they dropped that into the universe right about the same time Ford walked in the room and dropped the new Bronco on the table.
Not a bad car, but a waste of a good name. Complete missed opportunity. I almost can’t believe they misread the room that bad. But this is GM, legendary for misreading the marketplace for 40 years now.

Back