Land Cruiser Comparison Table

Markarian421

📛 Founding Member
Mar 8, 2024
CA
Vehicles
2014 FJ Cruiser
With credit to this post as the starting point, I thought I'd give this table its own post as I keep updating it. This started as a way for me to compare my current 2014 FJ Cruiser Trail Team Ultimate Edition MT to the new Land Cruiser, 4Runner, and FJ (if/when they announce it and if it comes to the US). If you find good sources for additional specs let me know.

Screenshot 2024-04-27 at 11.59.01 AM.png

Notes:
Toyota gives different LC clearance and departure angle specs on different pages.
4R Trailhunter is lifted at least 1.5" vs. standard, unclear if that one is 9.2 or if it's raised to > 10"

Sources:
2024 Toyota Land Cruiser Returns to its Origin - Toyota USA Newsroom
2024 Toyota Land Cruiser Specifications | Toyota.com
2025 Toyota 4Runner Refines Adventure Ready Heritage - Toyota USA Newsroom
My Next SUV Build? Parked Side-By-Side: New Lexus GX vs Toyota Land Cruiser!
30 THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT 2025 TOYOTA 4RUNNER // PLUS ENGINEER'S QUALITY CHECK

Last edited:
As an aside, I am increasingly starting to suspect the "Land Cruiser FJ" mini Land Cruiser Toyota has teased will be a rebranding of the 70. And like the 70 probably won't come to the US. But this just my own wild unfounded speculation based on the rumors already out about it.
landcruiserfj.jpg

Last edited:
Regarding the table, the 2025 4Runner will offer every possible configuration in terms of off-road features.
The part-time 4x4 is acting as a Center Diff Lock. Thus "yes" instead of "No". With the Two Speed Transfer Case (Low Gear) the Rear Diff Lock and the Stabilizer Bar Disconnect you can get all the hardware you have in the Landcruiser.

This car is looking good, it will get the same engine. RWD, 4x4 or Full time AWD..... It will sell !!
I would buy the LC 1958 but most people will go for the 4Runner.

Anyhow, it's a tough time for Wrangler and Bronco.

Anyhow, it's a tough time for Wrangler and Bronco.
Yeah when the Bronco first came out I thought it might be a reasonable replacement for the FJ, but user reports have convinced me otherwise.

Added a couple points:

In this video a Toyota engineer at a SEMA measuring event says the Lexus and LC are designed to fit 33" tires stock and in general to avoid needing body mount chops. Probably applies to the 4Runner as well but it wasn't announced yet.

In this video David gets close enough to the tire on the 4Runner Trailhunter to see it has the same 265/70R18 size tire. At this point I'm going to guess that's what all the 4Runners have.

Update, I expanded the table to include the four effective Land Cruiser trim levels. I haven't really updated the 4Runner section since it looks like it doesn't meet my minimum criteria of "at least as capable as the 2014 FJ MT."

Last edited:
I hope 33 / 12.5 / 18 tires will fit because I had them on order already....fingers crossed. This tire size is about 2 inches wider than OEM 265s.

I hope 33 / 12.5 / 18 tires will fit because I had them on order already....fingers crossed. This tire size is about 2 inches wider than OEM 265s.
Are you getting different wheels or trying the stock wheels? Since the engineer said it was designed to fit 33" wheels and the standard sizes are all fairly wide, I'm guessing they will fit the wheel well at least.

Are you getting different wheels or trying the stock wheels? Since the engineer said it was designed to fit 33" wheels and the standard sizes are all fairly wide, I'm guessing they will fit the wheel well at least.

First attempt will be onto the stock wheels, lets hope zero rub. Gonna be R/T tires instead of A/T.

How wide was the stock rim? 18x8.5?

With credit to this post as the starting point, I thought I'd give this table its own post as I keep updating it. This started as a way for me to compare my current 2014 FJ Cruiser Trail Team Ultimate Edition MT to the new Land Cruiser, 4Runner, and FJ (if/when they announce it and if it comes to the US). If you find good sources for additional specs let me know.

View attachment 1545
Notes:
Toyota gives different LC clearance and departure angle specs on different pages.
4R Trailhunter is lifted at least 1.5" vs. standard, unclear if that one is 9.2 or if it's raised to > 10"

Sources:
2024 Toyota Land Cruiser Returns to its Origin - Toyota USA Newsroom
2024 Toyota Land Cruiser Specifications | Toyota.com
2025 Toyota 4Runner Refines Adventure Ready Heritage - Toyota USA Newsroom
My Next SUV Build? Parked Side-By-Side: New Lexus GX vs Toyota Land Cruiser!
30 THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT 2025 TOYOTA 4RUNNER // PLUS ENGINEER'S QUALITY CHECK
Thanks for posting this. What caught my eye is that, with roof rails, the mid- and top-tier trims in the Land Cruiser are 80" in height. Do we have confirmation that those roof rails are removable? I would need those to be removable to get this vehicle into my garage.

Thanks for posting this. What caught my eye is that, with roof rails, the mid- and top-tier trims in the Land Cruiser are 80" in height. Do we have confirmation that those roof rails are removable? I would need those to be removable to get this vehicle into my garage.
Since the base model doesn’t have them, and the mid and FE trims have two different options, they’d have to be removable. I guess the question would be what parts are needed, and can you get them in the right color since the base trim has fewer colors.

Since the base model doesn’t have them, and the mid and FE trims have two different options, they’d have to be removable. I guess the question would be what parts are needed, and can you get them in the right color since the base trim has fewer colors.
Great point. Thanks for mentioning that.

One thing that just occurred to me: I wonder what will be the largest tire that fits in the factory spare location?

Back