How do you plan to use your LC?

Based on current use of my FJ: occasional trips around town, at least one serious winter road trip per year, at least one vacation road trip per year to some place in the southwest where it will need to deal with off road trails to get us where we’re going. Plus a few long weekends a year that will involve at least gravel roads. I do worry a little about the LC’s departure angle as I dragged my previous FJ’s trail hitch in the dirt occasionally on Utah trails. I don’t do rock crawling for the sake of rock crawling, but I do take some pretty remote and not well maintained trails. My first upgrade will be more serious off-road tires.

Based on current use of my FJ: occasional trips around town, at least one serious winter road trip per year, at least one vacation road trip per year to some place in the southwest where it will need to deal with off road trails to get us where we’re going. Plus a few long weekends a year that will involve at least gravel roads. I do worry a little about the LC’s departure angle as I dragged my previous FJ’s trail hitch in the dirt occasionally on Utah trails. I don’t do rock crawling for the sake of rock crawling, but I do take some pretty remote and not well maintained trails. My first upgrade will be more serious off-road tires.
So amazing that you have an FJ! I fell in love with them the first time I saw a silver one on the showroom floor and ending up getting a Voodoo Blue one the first year. It was my all-time favorite vehicle but, because work had me driving 30,000 miles per year, wasn't a good fit at the time. I keep looking for used FJs but the LC wins out.

I have '21 4Runner TRD Pro and have dragged the trailer hitch despite its almost 10-inch clearance, so share your worry about the LC's clearance. It sounds like you use your FJ like I do my 4R, but have decided it probably won't be a serious problem. Go through the obstacles slower or be a bit more careful about driving line?

Like you, I hope to swap for better off-road tires as soon as possible even though it's hard to lay out that much $$ and put perfectly good Michelins on the shelf. Next will be a 2-3 inch lift but I'll probably wait to see how much I can justify the expense and inevitable MPG/handing changes.

My 4Runner is also not a great towing vehicle. It seems like there is enough power but as you press harder on the accelerator to go highway speeds the trans wants to downshift so it's in 4th gear screaming away almost all the time. I'm hoping that the LC does better.
I hear that engine screaming...often down to 3rd gear!

Mostly a road trip vehicle but some 4WD and camping in the Tahoe National Forest. Keeping the FJ to haul shit and to do some inner city driving in suspect area and where parking difficult.

49 here. So planning a vehicle I can pay for & take into retirement. Mostly highway road trips as I really want to get back into covering some territory. I’ve been around much of the western half of the continent (not nearly in enough depth) in my old F150. So the catch is I need something small enough too that it’s not a burden too. Either in my suburban life now or when getting to destinations you can road trip to.

49 here. So planning a vehicle I can pay for & take into retirement. Mostly highway road trips as I really want to get back into covering some territory. I’ve been around much of the western half of the continent (not nearly in enough depth) in my old F150. So the catch is I need something small enough too that it’s not a burden too. Either in my suburban life now or when getting to destinations you can road trip to.
I share your hope that the LC turns out to be a "Goldilocks" vehicle...just the right combination for off-road and on-road plus the right amount of room. Even though we have a "road trip" vehicle that my wife claims, I'd love it if she was comfortable driving the LC. She's never driven my 4Runner in the past 4 years even though I've encouraged her to several times. Hope your plans work out and that retirement isn't too far away.

Reactions: MJE
Mostly a road trip vehicle but some 4WD and camping in the Tahoe National Forest. Keeping the FJ to haul shit and to do some inner city driving in suspect area and where parking difficult.
I'm anxious to see how it actually drives on the road...is it comfortable enough to drive on road trips? Gotta love that FJ! I keep thinking about buying a used one for my "trail beater"...I sure loved the one I had.

Currently own a 2022 Tacoma & moving to a LC 1958. If it comes in time I'll be pulling my E-19 Escape trailer from Eastern Ontario over the north shore of Lake Superior and west to the Canadian badlands then south to US badlands and back home - Estimated distance for this trip is about 11,000km with side trips over about 2 1/2 to 3 months. Some gravel & bush roads in Northern Ontario. and boondock camping. Next trip is to Southern US also trailering for about 4 months and 20,000km this winter. Reason for the 1958 is a dislike for leather & leather-like seats - had them in my 2020 Highlander Hybrid and hated them. Loved the hybrid in it but it just couldn't pull the trailer as the vehicle was rated 3500lb and trailer was 3560 dry although I did pick up the trailer when new and bring it home (empty) for a 4,000km trip. It handled it well and fuel economy was excellent but was careful not to push it.

Most interested in hearing from those who pulled a trailer with their ne LC

Wow, you get around! I hope the LC is the perfect vehicle. Towing behavior is one reason I want to ditch my '21 4Runner TRD Pro...poor MPG and that 5-speed transmission. I like the 1958's charm and keep looking at those cloth seats, wondering if all of my post-hike/bike sweat will be a problem. Even though I do quite a bit of off-roading, I doubt I'd miss the few off-road goodies the 1958 lacks.

Our LC will be our primary vehicle, so we'll drive it around town, up and down I17 to Phoenix , and the switchbacks to Sedona, and all throughout the Coconino National forest. Additionally, we're considering a small overland trailer in the near future to expand our road tripping abilities.

Going to sell my lifted 2016 Tacoma quicksand for a black 1958.....Its going to be a tough transition because of all the surfing i do...just the convenience of the 6 foot bed for boards wax rinse water etc. as well as camping and hunting and MT bikes in salty muddy Hawaii... i use 4x4 weekly ....However a Landcruiser has always been a dream of mine since going to japan many times and my wife already has a nice Tacoma im ready for a change with more kid pickups and driving on road comfort.........I hope i can refrain from M/T tires but this thing is going to be used like a proper 4x4 and daily driver......

"72-year old". Heck you have plenty of adventurous years ahead! 82 here, with many hours of off-roading under the belt, not the least of which recently have been on an ATV (Hereabouts in Idaho there are many trails limited to 50" wide machines). In any case, ready to transition to something more comfortable and weather-resistant (nothing like getting caught in a rainstorm on an ATV, or eating the dust from those in front).

Last edited:
Our LC will be our primary vehicle, so we'll drive it around town, up and down I17 to Phoenix , and the switchbacks to Sedona, and all throughout the Coconino National forest. Additionally, we're considering a small overland trailer in the near future to expand our road tripping abilities.
Based on reviews thus far, I think it'll do all that and more. You live in a beautiful area with lots of places to explore.

Going to sell my lifted 2016 Tacoma quicksand for a black 1958.....Its going to be a tough transition because of all the surfing i do...just the convenience of the 6 foot bed for boards wax rinse water etc. as well as camping and hunting and MT bikes in salty muddy Hawaii... i use 4x4 weekly ....However a Landcruiser has always been a dream of mine since going to japan many times and my wife already has a nice Tacoma im ready for a change with more kid pickups and driving on road comfort.........I hope i can refrain from M/T tires but this thing is going to be used like a proper 4x4 and daily driver......
Hawaii...you're making me jealous! I suspect there are a lot more places to explore than we were able to reach (on the Big Island) in our rented Mustang convertible.

"72-year old". Heck you have plenty of adventurous years ahead! 82 here, with many hours of off-roading under the belt, not the least of which recently have been on an ATV (Hereabouts in Idaho there are many trails limited to 50" wide machines). In any case, ready to transition to something more comfortable and weather-resistant (nothing like getting caught in a rainstorm on an ATV, or eating the dust from those in front). You mentioned you are in SW Utah. Lots of trails, old mines, and other interesting things to see in adjacent Lincoln County, NV. Or, go to Modena and travel north on the dirt road, then off to the west to the ruins. Have you visited the locations in the below photos?
So, Nuke, Rexburg huh? My wife is a Rexburg native and we lived there from 92-99 while I worked at Ultimate Direction north of town. Your vehicle picture looks just like the LC my boss had and which got me thinking about trading in my #3 4Runner. It sounds like you know my area about as well as I do. We've explored that area north of Modena...abandoned mines, wild horses and so much open country. 'glad to hear that at 82 you are still out getting into mischief. It's weird to think that (knock on wood) a new LC will last longer than I do if I keep driving my 4x4 7,000 miles per year! Even if I live to be 100 thats only 28x7,000=196,000 miles. Hardly broken in...

I am a project engineer/manager but also run and own my family farm business part time. Between hauling my hockey gear to the rink in winter time and my golf gear in the summer I’ll also use it to haul my SxS around and help with towing/moving stuff to and from the farm. Have a few acres of my own bush lot and rough country to do some off roading too. Likely look at getting a boat in a few years when I retire so I’ll finally have time to do some fishing.

Based on reviews thus far, I think it'll do all that and more. You live in a beautiful area with lots of places to explore.
It IS beautiful in northern Arizona, and I’m looking forward to seeing corners of the southwest I’ve never been to our new LC!

Back