fitting bigger tires?

king.cong.1119

📛 Founding Member
Jan 31, 2024
Philly, PA
Vehicles
2020 Tundra, 2024 Tesla M3, 2013 Outback 3.6R, 2019 Prado 3.5, 2021 Tacoma
Thought I'd start this thread since I have not seen them being posted.
This is to share information on potential works involved/needed for LC250 to fit bigger tires.

I talked to a friend of mine who was at the gx550 media event and was told that for GX550, the body mount area (right behind the front wheels), there are parts can be unbolted and removed. This seems to me a good intention to fit bigger tires, and giving the offset of the stock wheels being +60mm, and a bigger wheel well, there seem to be enough room even for the stock height to fit bigger tires (34s or even 35s), pizza cutter should be perfect fit for less modification.

Cheers!

I saw a YouTube video of a guy pointing out these removable pieces. I hope the aftermarket quickly follows with some small 1-2" lift options. That and a set Of lightly larger BFG KO2 will be perfection IMO

I saw a YouTube video of a guy pointing out these removable pieces. I hope the aftermarket quickly follows with some small 1-2" lift options. That and a set Of lightly larger BFG KO2 will be perfection IMO
Yes, hope land cruisers allow easy suspension modification, the gx550 overtrail suspension is "built in" to the cars electronics system so it is almost impossible to modify it.

Yes, hope land cruisers allow easy suspension modification, the gx550 overtrail suspension is "built in" to the cars electronics system so it is almost impossible to modify it.
I seem to recall one of David Chao's recent videos wherein he was relaying that Lexus engineers made a decision to update the GX550 in a way that facilitates suspension upgrades (unlike prior models on which suspension modification wasn't as easy).

Exactly perfect! Hoping for a 2" lift with 33" K02's on a 1958 model, with a very slight offset outside the fender flares. Should be a perfect stance IMHO!

Exactly perfect! Hoping for a 2" lift with 33" K02's on a 1958 model, with a very slight offset outside the fender flares. Should be a perfect stance IMHO!
I do believe you can at least fit 33s on stock suspension.

I seem to recall one of David Chao's recent videos wherein he was relaying that Lexus engineers made a decision to update the GX550 in a way that facilitates suspension upgrades (unlike prior models on which suspension modification wasn't as easy).
That maybe true for non-active suspension equipped models. For luxury and overtrail, their active suspension is wired to the computer to be adjusted actively so probably not a very mod friendly trim level.

Is that confirmed? Less negative space in the wheel well without changing the wheels would be fine with me
Not confirmed, GX550 overtrail comes with 33 inch tires standard, I would think at least the offroad trim of the land cruiser would do the same and from the release video, their first edition seem to be rocking the same 33 inch tires as teh gx550 overtrail.

1707232525449.png

1707232617351.png

1707232578862.png

Saw this post from another thread, tire size appear to be 265/70r18, if that is the case it is then a 32.6 inch tires and I am almost certain that fitting true 33 inch tires won't be a problem.
1707237770978.png

Well kind of, it's a prototype that's locked, the Toyota rep at the show said the interior is incomplete. But the outside was definitely impressive, the profile really stands out. Wheels & tires (Michelin LTX) didn't appear to be OEM, but maybe they should, really make the truck look rugged. I was leaning towards the Heritage Blue, but the Protype at the show is Underground and is making me reconsider my color choice, really looks good. The Toyota rep said he expects the first models to arrive at dealerships in May, but said to allow for a few months after then for production to meet up with demand.

There was also a Lexus GX at the show which you could get in and check out, definitely bigger than I expected.

View attachment 755View attachment 756View attachment 757View attachment 758

Not confirmed, GX550 overtrail comes with 33 inch tires standard, I would think at least the offroad trim of the land cruiser would do the same and from the release video, their first edition seem to be rocking the same 33 inch tires as teh gx550 overtrail.

View attachment 843
View attachment 845
View attachment 844
Those do indeed look about 33-ish like I have on my K20.
Shame they're showing it off with Toyo Open Country's though haha :)

View attachment 843
View attachment 845
View attachment 844
Seems like just a tad more tire and a slight, tasteful offset would make it look so much more 'ready'. In profile a little more tire would look more proportionate to my eye, too. And I'm still thinking about 2" of lift, but as has been mentioned, don't want to take away from the crawl control etc. My desert-race-truck-building buddy wanted to strip the stock airbags out of the back of the Sequoia I had and put King remote reservoirs on it haha. Don't want anything that crazy!

Your Tundra in your profile picture has a really nice stance! Very tasteful!

I think that 33" tires and a set of better offset wheels that bring the tire outside even with the fenders should look perfect on these with no lift. 35" with maybe a 1 to 2 inch lift.

I’m planning on a 275/70-R18. I ran a set of Duratracs in that size on my Jeep JK. True 33”. Nice mild size (for a Jeep). Handled well, and worked out great off-road. Tons of tire options. Only adds 0.3” to the sidewall and 0.2” width inboard. Should fit stock wheels and suspension just fine.

I think that 33" tires and a set of better offset wheels that bring the tire outside even with the fenders should look perfect on these with no lift. 35" with maybe a 1 to 2 inch lift.
Agreed that perhaps a slight increase in negative offset and/or at least a true 33” AT tire would give a moderately more aggressive stance. I don’t particularly like the wheels on the LC and the tires are laughable.
IMG_5742.jpeg

I much prefer the wheels they’re putting on Lexus 550 Overtrail.
IMG_5744.jpeg

I don’t think it will take long, after people are able to acquire the LC250, for them to start putting their custom touches on. I think there are going to be a lot of factory take-offs ;)

Last edited:
Related update from GXOR facebook group, video of someone installing 285/75/17 tires on 17*8.5 0et wheels on a GX. WIththe crush can removed they fit, but will need some fender trimming to ensure no rubbing. WIth more positive offset, they say the tires should fit fine.

LC should be similar.. so ideal wheel will be around 20et..

Back