2025 Toyota Land Cruiser vs 2024 Lexus GX 550

supersix

Administrator
Staff member
๐Ÿ“› Founding Member
Jul 7, 2023
Vehicles
2014 4runner, 2021 Bronco
While I've already placed a deposit for the forthcoming 2024 Lexus GX 550, I'm open to switching, depending on the features and design that the 2025 Toyota Land Cruiser unveils. Anyone else in the same boat?

I'm still leaning toward the Lexus GX 550 just because I will be doing more road trips than off-road adventures, but I'm curious to see what the new Land Cruiser has to offer.

I'm still leaning toward the Lexus GX 550 just because I will be doing more road trips than off-road adventures, but I'm curious to see what the new Land Cruiser has to offer.
Same... plus I love the shape/boxiness and the extra size.

What color is that GX? Atomic Silver maybe?

That would be my guess. Although it has a few different color body panels on it. Looks like a white front bumper and white panels below the rear lights.

2024-lexus-gx550-overtrail-prototype1.jpeg

2024-lexus-gx550-overtrail-prototype2.jpeg

Reactions: MJE
Good video to describe the SDM on the new LC vs the KDSS on the GX550. guess it really depends on how much off roading you will be doing.

Good video to describe the SDM on the new LC vs the KDSS on the GX550. guess it really depends on how much off roading you will be doing.

Heโ€™s got some good info, but heโ€™s very GX/Lexus biased too. He doesnโ€™t actually say why he thinks the e-Kdss is better or why it actually is. It does the same thing as the sdm in the front. There is no benefit off road at all, nor on road from what I can tell. Perhaps the e-kdss is more robust in terms of how big of a sway bar it can handle but other than that. Just because itโ€™s a more complex system, doesnโ€™t make it better. Realistically itโ€™s just something more expensive to break or have to fix sometime during the lifetime of the car.

And reading on the rearend side of things, Iโ€™m not convinced the rearend being disconnected is necessary or even an improvement. If you have a large rear sway bar maybe, but if not then, not likely. Brb Iโ€™ll find the nifty video I watched on a disconnected rear bar.

Heโ€™s got some good info, but heโ€™s very GX/Lexus biased too. He doesnโ€™t actually say why he thinks the e-Kdss is better or why it actually is. It does the same thing as the sdm in the front. There is no benefit off road at all, nor on road from what I can tell. Perhaps the e-kdss is more robust in terms of how big of a sway bar it can handle but other than that. Just because itโ€™s a more complex system, doesnโ€™t make it better. Realistically itโ€™s just something more expensive to break or have to fix sometime during the lifetime of the car.

And reading on the rearend side of things, Iโ€™m not convinced the rearend being disconnected is necessary or even an improvement. If you have a large rear sway bar maybe, but if not then, not likely. Brb Iโ€™ll find the nifty video I watched on a disconnected rear bar.

Eh video may be flawed. I donโ€™t know much about the technicals of off roading, but seems as if thereโ€™s a few more things he can do to his rig to make it a proper test. (Maybe more bumpstop)Either way Iโ€™m not sure there is that much more benefit to the rear sway bar being disconnected. That said, if there is an advantage, Iโ€™m sure the rear could be easily modded to do so.

For what it's worth, I went to put a deposit on the GX (Overtrail) at my local Lexus Dealer, and their projections were an MSRP of $80k, which was just batshit nuts to me. So Instead, I put a deposit on the LC 250. I don't expect to even drive the truck for another two years, but if the Overtrail is starting at $80k, I'm out.

For what it's worth, I went to put a deposit on the GX (Overtrail) at my local Lexus Dealer, and their projections were an MSRP of $80k, which was just batshit nuts to me. So Instead, I put a deposit on the LC 250. I don't expect to even drive the truck for another two years, but if the Overtrail is starting at $80k, I'm out.
Did they give you any indications as to how long the wait might be for delivery? I'm on a list in at Longo Lexus in SoCal where they told me the wait is about a year given their anticipated allocation.

Their Toyota dealership isn't taking any new deposits for the LC. To be honest, I'm just gonna see how this all plays out. The deposit was reasonable and refundable. I went to a different dealership closer to home where a friendly sales guy put me on his personal list for the LC. That dealership told me they don't take deposits until the LC is available on their allocation system.

Did they give you any indications as to how long the wait might be for delivery? I'm on a list in at Longo Lexus in SoCal where they told me the wait is about a year given their anticipated allocation.

Their Toyota dealership isn't taking any new deposits for the LC. To be honest, I'm just gonna see how this all plays out. The deposit was reasonable and refundable. I went to a different dealership closer to home where a friendly sales guy put me on his personal list for the LC. That dealership told me they don't take deposits until the LC is available on their allocation system.
The Lexus dealership originally took my $500 dollar deposit (which was completely refundable) and showed me a sheet about their projected allocation numbers for each trim (Overtrail / Overtrail + / and the luxury trim were the highest allocations). They then had projected MSRP per trim. Which started at 70k, and went all the way up to 85k for the Overtrail+. I'm not in a position to spend over 90k dollars on an SUV (after TTL), but the Lexus dealership was very cool, and refunded my deposit after I found a local Toyota dealer taking deposits for the LC.

As for when the Lexus dealership expected the first shipments & deliveries, they told me Jan/Feb '24 for the GX, and they have NO clue how many they are getting. They had about 70 people on the waiting list. Which was also a reason I took back my deposit. The Toyota dealership had 40 in-line for the LC. with no idea on when they would be receiving their allocations. If i get a LC, I don't expect to drive it till 2025 at the earliest. ;)

The Lexus dealership originally took my $500 dollar deposit (which was completely refundable) and showed me a sheet about their projected allocation numbers for each trim (Overtrail / Overtrail + / and the luxury trim were the highest allocations). They then had projected MSRP per trim. Which started at 70k, and went all the way up to 85k for the Overtrail+. I'm not in a position to spend over 90k dollars on an SUV (after TTL), but the Lexus dealership was very cool, and refunded my deposit after I found a local Toyota dealer taking deposits for the LC.

As for when the Lexus dealership expected the first shipments & deliveries, they told me Jan/Feb '24 for the GX, and they have NO clue how many they are getting. They had about 70 people on the waiting list. Which was also a reason I took back my deposit. The Toyota dealership had 40 in-line for the LC. with no idea on when they would be receiving their allocations. If i get a LC, I don't expect to drive it till 2025 at the earliest. ;)
I'm number 355 on the list for the GX. I've been going back and forth between the GX and LC. The LC is winning at the moment.

Back