Window tint

Draper

📛 Founding Member
May 7, 2024
Media
Denver, CO
Vehicles
Porsche Macan Turbo, BMW M4 Comp
I am planning to tint the front windows to match the rear.

Has anyone had tint installed yet or know what the rear windows measure at (VLT %)?

Maybe @lcq knows. I stole this picture from one of his posts and it looks like he figured it out.

1719883629285.png

Last edited:
Any recommendations for a tint shop in the Seattle area? What is the general ballpark cost to tint?

Thx!

Looks great! Which brand did you go with?

I usually use Formula One Pinnacle on all my cars. Stratos has better heat rejection but it has more of a blue tint which I don't really like.

Any recommendations for a tint shop in the Seattle area? What is the general ballpark cost to tint?

Thx!
Midnight tint is who I’ve used in the past. Website is a little jenky but the work was great. 99 near Northgate is the locale I used.

I’m having mine installed tomorrow at the dealership they include it as a dealership add Toyota of Kirkland

I’ve never had a vehicle tinted before, any insight as to the below options/price?

Solution 1

Full Size SUV / Truck - Ceramic IR film​

Our most popular film line​

3M Ceramic IR
Ride in style and comfort. Film Ceramic IR Series offers great infrared heat rejection for optimal comfort and is available in an attractive neutral color. The Ceramic IR series was developed with a nano-ceramic technology that provides a high level of infrared heat rejection due to the absorptive technology. (includes sides and back glass, any film shades included)

Great infrared heat reduction due to this absorptive nano-ceramic technology.
No electronic or mobile phone interference, including 5G, with a metal free design
Low visible light reflectivity value and no mirror-like appearance to disrupt your view out
High total solar energy rejected for greater thermal comfort. Reduces the feel of sun on the skin.

$ 649.99​

Solution 2

Full Size SUV / Truck - Crystalline film​

Our best film line​

3M Crystalline
Ultimate comfort and clarity - the Crystalline Series features a proprietary, multilayer optical film nano-technology that combines over 200 layers in a film that is thinner than a Post-it® Note. This unique technology is the reason a clear film can reject more heat than darker films. (includes sides and back glass, any film shades included)

$ 999.99​

Solution 3

Full Size SUV / Truck - FX Premium​

Our value film line​

3M FX Premium
Performance and value - the FX Premium Series delivers strong performance at an affordable price. Non-metallized technology ensures no signal interference with wireless devices. (includes sides and back glass, any film shades included)

$ 449.99​

Add ons. Full front windshield in our premium heat reducing ceramic film. $249.99
Sun strips on top of windshield reduce sun glare. 6” typical $79.99
Sunroofs can also be added for additional heat reduction. Depending on size $99.99 and up.
Any shade is included in any of our film lines. typical shades include 90% 70% 50% 35% 25% 20% 15% 5% Max legal limit is 24% light transmission. You may go darker if you like. Typical installation time is between 3-5 hours. Or you may drop your car off for the day.

Back In the early 80’s, when in graduate school, I made my living tinting automotive, residential, and commercial glass. I used a film called Llumar IIRC. I think it was made by a company called Martin Processing. It was a great product. Even the clear film blocked 99% of the UV rays, to protect from the sunlight causing fading of things indoors.

I don’t recall any of it effectively blocking IR wavelengths, unless it was their reflective films for residential and commercial use (non automotive). But you had to be careful in the choices you made, going strictly ‘by the book’. Reflecting too much IR heat, back through double pained or triple pained glass could heat it up, and ‘pop’ the seal. Never happened to any of my installs.

My youngest daughter recently told me of this IR blocking ‘ceramic’ automotive film, which they had installed in their Honda minivan, to great effect. I think it will be investigation it further for use on my FE… if it ever gets here.

You definitely should pick ceramic tint for the UV blocking. It makes a tremendous difference in the cabin for the heat rejection. I've had Xpel on most of my cars, but 3M is good too.

I would avoid metallic window tint as that can affect cell reception and the effectiveness of radar detectors.

I haven't tinted the windshield before, but I'll probably do that next. Just worried about having to re-do it if I chip my windshield...

pretty jealous of you guys that live in state’s that don’t force a car inspection every year like North Carolina. Very limited here on what I can do when window tinting to pass inspection.

Windshield tint is the best. Did it day 2 of getting the car (one of the first things I do with any car) It is a 70% ceramic tint, it is clear and will pass inspection.

Windshield tint is the best. Did it day 2 of getting the car (one of the first things I do with any car) It is a 70% ceramic tint, it is clear and will pass inspection.
Yea.. I guess I am going to get it too. All the way around.

Dealership installed tint on driver and passenger windows…. Toyota of Kirkland was one of the added dealerships mark ups

Attachments

• IMG_4830.jpeg
    IMG_4830.jpeg
    241.2 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_4823.jpeg
    IMG_4823.jpeg
    387.8 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_4831.jpeg
    IMG_4831.jpeg
    179 KB · Views: 168
Back