Wheel upgrades

Here is a link to the fitment of another 17" wheel.. offset doesn't work but clearance looks ok with the limited angle

Yeah it looks like a 17" wheel will go on there, but I wouldn't want to drive it on a gravel road with only ~5mm from the calipers to the inside of the wheel.

Last edited:
Crude mockup of what it would look like to powder coat the factory 18” wheels with K03’s to match the roof. Original photo credit from Cecil Graves on the FB group.
IMG_0029.jpeg
IMG_0031.jpeg

Do you know if painting those wheels will hold up over time?
Not my area of expertise. Don’t even know what it would cost compared to just buying different wheels. Would depend on how good of a job the shop does that preps and powder coats the them. I kind of like the matching look but silver similar to what TRD Jon put on his blue would probably look similar

Ok, I asked Method about brake caliper clearance with their 17" wheels. The only wheel they have their own numbers for is the 707 17" with 25 offset, and they say it clears the caliper by 5.6 mm (or about 7/32", less than a quarter inch). (!!!) The 703 and 705 with 35 offset they say they don't know and are just going with Wescott Design's fit test, but there's no reason to think it would be significantly different. That is way too close for comfort for me, I'll be sticking to 18" wheels.
Westcott seems to be putting the 703s on all the Land Cruisers they are doing. I sent them a note on IG and this is what I got back.
I don’t have the exact measurement but it has enough to clear the wheel weights. We had done at least 20 of them with the 17x8.5 methods and no problem
I'm going to test fit the 703s I have here before mounting tires to see what I think of the clearance, but I'm thinking it will probably be fine.

IMG_9287.PNG

Not my area of expertise. Don’t even know what it would cost compared to just buying different wheels. Would depend on how good of a job the shop does that preps and powder coats the them. I kind of like the matching look but silver similar to what TRD Jon put on his blue would probably look similar
I'm starting to buy into the machined silver look that TRD Jon has as a possible pairing for a Trail Dust rig. Otherwise will probably just stick with black to match the trim.

I'm going to test fit the 703s I have here before mounting tires to see what I think of the clearance, but I'm thinking it will probably be fine.
If you can get pictures and possibly measurements from inside the wheel that would help a lot of us decide!

Does anyone know the weight of the stock wheel without the tire? LC grade or FE (not 1958)
I was just trying to find this myself. For the stock mid-grade 18" wheel, the Car and Driver flex test video put wheel + tire at 65.0 lbs. Michelin says those are 37.7 lb tires which would make the wheels about 27.3 lbs.

I'm wondering if anyone has weighed the 20" upgrade wheels?

Test fitted the TE37 to the front. There’s minimal poke and no rubbing at full lock.

Waiting on new tpms to mount the whole set. To be continued…

Spec: 18x9 0 offset, 275/65 KO2

Attachments

• IMG_4362.jpeg
    IMG_4362.jpeg
    311.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4363.jpeg
    IMG_4363.jpeg
    325.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4364.jpeg
    IMG_4364.jpeg
    266.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4353.jpeg