What is the weight of wheel only both factory OEM 20” and 18”?

Winchester44

📛 Founding Member
Aug 14, 2024
Media
Texas
Vehicles
2024 LC LC Trim
I’m looking for weight of just the wheel only for the 20 inch factory wheel and the 18 inch factory wheel please. This would not include the tire weight. It would just be the weight of the wheel itself. Apologies advance. If this is posted elsewhere, I’ve combed the forum extensively and can’t seem to find this answer, but see others asking the same question.

Thank you very much!! 40lbs vs 27lbs!

Wow 48% more weight! I had no idea the 20 inch was that much heavier! I’m glad I asked. I bet that is enough to affect at least 2 mpg for the 18” rim versus 20” rim if everything else is equal.

Last edited:
Thank you very much!! 40lbs vs 27lbs!

Wow 48% more weight! I had no idea the 20 inch was that much heavier! I’m glad I asked. I bet that is enough to affect at least 2 mpg for the 18” rim versus 20” rim if everything else is equal.
Yeah I was surprised it’s so much heavier. Made me decide I definitely didn’t want the 20” wheels.

Thanks for this info, even though the 20" wheels are much more elaborate than the 18" that's an astonishing amount of extra weight. 40+lbs of extra unsprung rotating mass is huge!

I doubt the 20" rim weighs 40 lbs.

Or perhaps I should say "I'm disappointed in Toyota if the 20" rim weighs 40lbs"

Last edited:
It says at the top the 20” are 40 pounds vs the 18” which are 27 pounds.

Why do you doubt they are 40 pounds?
Because it's a hybrid/fuel economy oriented vehicle and wheel mass is the most costly in terms of MPG. Toyota could have paid a little more for lighter wheels.

Now I'm interested in what the Dunlop tires for these wheels weight.

Because it's a hybrid/fuel economy oriented vehicle and wheel mass is the most costly in terms of MPG. Toyota could have paid a little more for lighter wheels.

Now I'm interested in what the Dunlop tires for these wheels weight.
You can check the spreadsheet. Some forum members who were swapping out wheels and tires weighed them.

Edit: now that I'm at a computer: the range of weights I have for the R20 tires is 36-39 lbs. The manufacturer doesn't list a weight for these.

Last edited:
Would balancing weights and scale precision account for variability of 37.2- 40 pounds? I don’t think if would account for the much large difference with the smaller 18” wheel.

Would balancing weights and scale precision account for variability of 37.2- 40 pounds? I don’t think if would account for the much large difference with the smaller 18” wheel.
I image it's the scales -- home bathroom scales aren't calibrated, there's a few pounds variation in the different weights between different scales. I'm not sure what alloy the wheels are, 27 lbs does seem pretty typical, maybe even on the low end of aftermarket 18" wheels -- see the second tab in the spreadsheet. 37-40lbs on the other hand is a lot more than I was guessing for the 20" wheel based on other 20" wheels. That's a heavy wheel.

Last edited:
Yes it is. I wonder if that helps explain the wide disparity in MPG and ride folks are seeing even with factory wheels and tires.

• Factory Michelin Defender LTX Trail Tire + Factory 18 in Wheel = +/-65.0 pounds
  • Factory Dunlop Grandtrek PT22+ Factory 20 in Wheel = +/-76.1 pounds

That's a 17.1% increase in unsprung weight. I think that's plenty difference to noticeably to affect mpg and ride even without accounting for lower profile sidewall.

Last edited:
I just weighed an 18” from a fe and it weighed 31 pounds. On the graph it shows 27.3 with a ?. I don’t have a 20” to weigh and I’m not saying my scale is ISO9000 calibration but even at the top of the graph it states “approximate “. I can see the 20” weighing 40 lbs but I’d like to weigh one myself .

I just weighed an 18” from a fe and it weighed 31 pounds. On the graph it shows 27.3 with a ?. I don’t have a 20” to weigh and I’m not saying my scale is ISO9000 calibration but even at the top of the graph it states “approximate “. I can see the 20” weighing 40 lbs but I’d like to weigh one myself .
27.3 was based on a tire+wheel weight and the manufacturer's weight for the tire. I've added your direct weight measurement to the spreadsheet. 40lbs was what @solidbrix got then he weighed a 20" wheel directly, the other slightly lower figure is again an indirect figure from other measurements.

I guess I never thought of it because I've never had a car with a full wheel and tire, but it's definitely nice having an extra in case you curb a wheel.

Still debating getting 18 inch wheels and a new set of tires.

Yes it is. I wonder if that helps explain the wide disparity in MPG and ride folks are seeing even with factory wheels and tires.

• Factory Michelin Defender LTX Trail Tire + Factory 18 in Wheel = +/-65.0 pounds
  • Factory Dunlop Grandtrek PT22+ Factory 18 in Wheel = +/-76.1 pounds

That's a 17.1% increase in unsprung weight. I think that's plenty difference to noticeably to affect mpg and ride even without accounting for lower profile sidewall.

To be honest, I am not sure. Heavier tires have an effect on MPG if you do a lot of stop and go (and need to spin up heavier wheels), but with an hybrid that energy spent to spin the wheel would be mostly recouped by regenerative breaking. What has a stronger influence on MPG is tread pattern, as energy lost to road friction cannot be recovered by regenerative breaking.

Back