What is the MPG on the 2024 Land Cruiser?

supersix

Administrator
Staff member
๐Ÿ“› Founding Member
Jul 7, 2023
Vehicles
2014 4runner, 2021 Bronco
Although Toyota has yet to officially release the fuel economy numbers for the 2024 Land Cruiser, we can take educated guesses based on the performance of the powertrain in other Toyota and Lexus models. Currently, the Lexus RX500h, which uses a similar powertrain, boasts an EPA rating of 27 mpg for city and combined driving and 28 mpg on the highway.

However, considering the differences in weight and power between the Land Cruiser and the Lexus RX500h, we should not expect identical fuel economy figures. The Land Cruiser, being heavier, may post slightly lower numbers. Also, given the improvements in engine technology, it's reasonable to expect that the new Land Cruiser will surpass the fuel efficiency of older Toyota FJ & 4Runner models with a V6 engine. My guess would be a combined mpg of 22 (25 HWY & 20 CITY) for the new Land Cruiser.

I'm going to guess that it's going to be really similar to the 2024 Tacoma's fuel economy. I was thinking those numbers were released already, but I looked around and it doesn't look like Toyota has released fuel economy ratings for the new Tacoma either. I would hope we would hear some numbers on the new Tacoma real soon since it was announced back in June.

• Admin
I'm going to guess that it's going to be really similar to the 2024 Tacoma's fuel economy. I was thinking those numbers were released already, but I looked around and it doesn't look like Toyota has released fuel economy ratings for the new Tacoma either. I would hope we would hear some numbers on the new Tacoma real soon since it was announced back in June.

I wonder how much the full time four wheel drive will impact fuel mileage compared to the 2024 Tacoma?

I wonder how much the full time four wheel drive will impact fuel mileage compared to the 2024 Tacoma?
I'm sure that, the shape and the weight will have a 2-3 mpg difference.

• Admin
Toyota (Canada) has unveiled fuel efficiency projections for the newly minted Land Cruiser, powered by a 2.4L iForce Max hybrid engine. With promising results, it's estimated to deliver fuel economy of approximately 8.7 L/100km, translating to an impressive 27 miles per gallon (MPG)

2024-Land-Cruiser-Fuel-Estimates.png

(Source: 2024 Toyota Land Cruiser Off-Road SUV - Register for Updates)

Someone already saw some fuel economy figures (wltp) and CO2 values for the 2.8 diesel engine?

It's also showing an estimated 27mpg on Toyota's USA website here: 2024 Toyota Land Cruiser | Toyota.com

2024-landcruiser-27mpg.png

It will be interesting to see what the fuel tank size is. If it's similar to the 23 gallon tank in the 4runner, we should be able to get between 500-600 miles of range!

It's also showing an estimated 27mpg on Toyota's USA website here: 2024 Toyota Land Cruiser | Toyota.com

View attachment 189

It will be interesting to see what the fuel tank size is. If it's similar to the 23 gallon tank in the 4runner, we should be able to get between 500-600 miles of range!
Yup, I'm seeing that as well! That's a fantastic number combined number and much better than I thought it would be!

This is very close in terms of efficiency:

On the highway you cannot improve , but on regular daily city driving you can do much better with a hybrid car.

Please note the big fuel efficiency difference between the Grand Highlander 2.5 Hybrid and the Grand Highlander i-Force Max (2.4T Hybrid).

Someone already saw some fuel economy figures (wltp) and CO2 values for the 2.8 diesel engine?
This should be very close for the LC250 Diesel. 9L/100km is 26 mpg.

They announced for 2025 a Mild Hybrid technology for the 2.8 Diesel. I expect the efficiency to be better.
It is interesting to know that Mazda CX-60 (a smaller CX-90) has such technology paired with a 3.3L Diesel engine 254HP AWD. It is possible to get over 60 mpg and easy to get 40 mpg average !

The 2.4L Grand Highlander Hybrid Max is certified at 26/27/27 MPG. The LC 250 is less aerodynamic and has a different rear drive system, so the LC 250 may come in just under these numbers. I expect most of the work has been done on the LC 250 and now it's down to documentation and regulatory approval for the final MPG numbers.

I find it a bit strange Toyota USA took the fuel economy numbers down. This is Toyota Canada:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-03 at 6.25.24โ€ฏPM.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-03 at 6.25.24โ€ฏPM.png
    128.1 KB · Views: 35
I checked the Toyota Canada website a couple weeks ago and I thought the MPG numbers were deleted similar to the USA website. I heard Mike Sweers from Toyota say they do not release the numbers publicly until those numbers are submitted to the certification authorities. Waiting to release the MPG numbers is the best approach in my opinion. Canadian certification is almost always more stringent than the USA, so it looks like 27 MPG combined could be the USA rating. A fuel consumption rating of 27 MPG for the LC 250 would reflect a phenomenal effort by Toyota.

It looks like Toyota is at step 6 for the equivalent certification inside Canada.

https://www.epa.gov/ve-certificatio...-economy-light-duty-passenger-cars-and-trucks

Yeah, crazy to think a full size SUV with full-time 4wd could get that kind of mileage. That's almost the same as my Audi which gets insanely good fuel economy considering how fast it is.

Back