Virgin Towing Experience Charlotte To The Smoky's

ferrari1898

📛 Founding Member
Jul 15, 2024
Media
Charlotte, NC
Vehicles
2024 Land Cruiser w/ Premium Package
We took a weekend trip from Lake Wylie (Charlotte, NC) to the Smoky Mountains. Previously we owned a Honda Ridgeline and a Subaru Ascent which we had a similar 3500lb single axle camper that is 7' wide. With the previous experience on the same route and the variety of urban, rural and highway driving with sections that are flat and mountainous, I thought I would discuss my experience

Fill Up 1 - 149mi / 14.471gal = 10.3mpg (Charlotte To Asheville Odometer < 1000mi)
Fill Up 2 - 216mi / 15.222gal = 14.2mpg (Asheville To Smoky Mountains To Asheville w/ ~20mi Disconnected)
Fill Up 3 - 139mi / 10.446gal = 13.3mpg (Asheville To Charlotte w/ ~20mi Disconnected)
Trip Total - 504mi / 40.139gal = 12.6mpg

For a little background we had a pop-up Camper that we towed with a Subaru Outback. Eventually we upgraded to the Subaru Ascent and got a travel trailer after the pop-up got rear ended in Atlanta. The Subaru had a 2.4 L flat 4 cylinder turbocharged engine connected to a CVT. There was no lack of power towing the camper but the rear suspension squatted pretty badly (fixed with some upgraded springs), and with regular use, we were seeing signs the drivetrain was not up to the task. Additionally, Subaru discourages the use of a weight distribution hitch. This lead us to get the Honda Ridgeline Pickup. The Ridgeline uses a 3.5 L V6 with a 9 speed transmission. The Honda handled the camper flawlessly, however all the torque is at almost up at 5000 rpm. Additionally, having an enclosed cargo area drew us to the Toyota.

A couple things to keep in mind. We started the trip with 700 mi on the odometer and while Toyota wants the 500 mi without a trailer, the hybrid system supposedly prefers the turbo for the first 1000 mi. There is more uphill driving on the first tank, but the mpg for the first fill up may have also been due to the mileage.

ENGINE / TRANSMISSION

There was only a few situations when driving up a mountain that the Toyota felt lacking in the power department (which I will explain later). Interestingly Our Subaru Ascent struggled less climbing the mountains; though that hard use may have also contributed to the mechanical gremlins appears at 20k (To Subaru's defense, later there were recalls). The Toyota was a pleasant improvement to the Honda that struggled to stay at 55 and sometimes climbing the mountains at 45 while spinning over 5000 rpm. When in towing mode, the Toyota does a great job handling the gear selection. However, after EVERY stop, you have to enable it. After one fill up, I noticed how the Toyota was struggling to climb a hill, only to realize the tow mode was disabled. I had the auxiliary gauges on the dash and on a few climbs they were slightly elevated but nothing to even start to worry about even with temperatures over 90 F. I will add that starting around 900 mi to see the electric motor assist more.

FUEL ECONOMY

I was hoping to achieve closer to 15 mpg with the Toyota. And I have some hope with time the MPG will improve along with the first fill up occurring under 1000 mi on the odometer. To be fair, The Subaru and Honda achieved 10 - 13 mpg and the Toyota kept to the speed limit much better

BRAKES

The integrated brake controller is another welcomed upgrade in the Toyota. We previously had a Primus (Subaru) and Curt (Honda) but could never dial them in. Either in the city the trailer had too much brake or not enough on the highway. I had the gain on the Toyota at 7 and was quite please. Before using the brake controller, you need to go through the vehicle setting in the dash to set the system up.

SUSPENSION / RIDE

We did NOT use the weight distribution hitch. Connected, the Toyota was not squatting excessively. in the future I think I will still use it since it does feel more composed on the interstate. We are set with a 2 in drop, but your application may vary. One thing I have noticed is in comparison with a unibody vehicle the ride is not nearly as smooth as you experience imperfections in the road. Also, there are some vibrations based on what the hybrid system is doing. The biggest complaint I have, is that when we test drove the Land Cruiser, it felt smoother. I brought it into the dealer and they did not find anything wrong.

STORAGE

For most (weekend) camping trips the Toyota has sufficient space. Our 10-ish year old dog needs help to climb in the back above the battery pack. Being able to recline the back seat (something you can not do in a truck) really helps with rear seat comfort. A few times a year we do take longer trips, in fact we just cam back from a week in Maryland around July 4th. It would have been tight in the Toyota if it hit the dealer lot a month earlier. We could make it work by moving some things in the camper, but we stopped 1/2 way and it is not ideal.

FINAL REMARKS / OTHER

A larger fuel tank would really be nice while towing. Living with a toddler, it is safe to have a stop every 2 hrs, but our first fill up in Asheville was done because we were heading into a more remote stretch. The backup camera is not ideal for lining up the ball (both the Honda and Subaru were better). On the plus side, connecting and disconnecting can be done without the gas engine while keeping the air conditioning on (you have to disable the towing mode). Finally, connecting the 7 pin connector is a little awkward, since it hidden between the hitch and the exhaust. For the first 1000 miles we are averaging 21.4 mpg when we are not towing and 12.6 mpg while connected. if we can edge those up closer to 25 mpg and 15 mpg I will be pretty pleased with things.

We took a weekend trip from Lake Wylie (Charlotte, NC) to the Smoky Mountains. Previously we owned a Honda Ridgeline and a Subaru Ascent which we had a similar 3500lb single axle camper that is 7' wide. With the previous experience on the same route and the variety of urban, rural and highway driving with sections that are flat and mountainous, I thought I would discuss my experience

Fill Up 1 - 149mi / 14.471gal = 10.3mpg (Charlotte To Asheville Odometer < 1000mi)
Fill Up 2 - 216mi / 15.222gal = 14.2mpg (Asheville To Smoky Mountains To Asheville w/ ~20mi Disconnected)
Fill Up 3 - 139mi / 10.446gal = 13.3mpg (Asheville To Charlotte w/ ~20mi Disconnected)
Trip Total - 504mi / 40.139gal = 12.6mpg

For a little background we had a pop-up Camper that we towed with a Subaru Outback. Eventually we upgraded to the Subaru Ascent and got a travel trailer after the pop-up got rear ended in Atlanta. The Subaru had a 2.4 L flat 4 cylinder turbocharged engine connected to a CVT. There was no lack of power towing the camper but the rear suspension squatted pretty badly (fixed with some upgraded springs), and with regular use, we were seeing signs the drivetrain was not up to the task. Additionally, Subaru discourages the use of a weight distribution hitch. This lead us to get the Honda Ridgeline Pickup. The Ridgeline uses a 3.5 L V6 with a 9 speed transmission. The Honda handled the camper flawlessly, however all the torque is at almost up at 5000 rpm. Additionally, having an enclosed cargo area drew us to the Toyota.

A couple things to keep in mind. We started the trip with 700 mi on the odometer and while Toyota wants the 500 mi without a trailer, the hybrid system supposedly prefers the turbo for the first 1000 mi. There is more uphill driving on the first tank, but the mpg for the first fill up may have also been due to the mileage.

ENGINE / TRANSMISSION

There was only a few situations when driving up a mountain that the Toyota felt lacking in the power department (which I will explain later). Interestingly Our Subaru Ascent struggled less climbing the mountains; though that hard use may have also contributed to the mechanical gremlins appears at 20k (To Subaru's defense, later there were recalls). The Toyota was a pleasant improvement to the Honda that struggled to stay at 55 and sometimes climbing the mountains at 45 while spinning over 5000 rpm. When in towing mode, the Toyota does a great job handling the gear selection. However, after EVERY stop, you have to enable it. After one fill up, I noticed how the Toyota was struggling to climb a hill, only to realize the tow mode was disabled. I had the auxiliary gauges on the dash and on a few climbs they were slightly elevated but nothing to even start to worry about even with temperatures over 90 F. I will add that starting around 900 mi to see the electric motor assist more.

FUEL ECONOMY

I was hoping to achieve closer to 15 mpg with the Toyota. And I have some hope with time the MPG will improve along with the first fill up occurring under 1000 mi on the odometer. To be fair, The Subaru and Honda achieved 10 - 13 mpg and the Toyota kept to the speed limit much better

BRAKES

The integrated brake controller is another welcomed upgrade in the Toyota. We previously had a Primus (Subaru) and Curt (Honda) but could never dial them in. Either in the city the trailer had too much brake or not enough on the highway. I had the gain on the Toyota at 7 and was quite please. Before using the brake controller, you need to go through the vehicle setting in the dash to set the system up.

SUSPENSION / RIDE

We did NOT use the weight distribution hitch. Connected, the Toyota was not squatting excessively. in the future I think I will still use it since it does feel more composed on the interstate. We are set with a 2 in drop, but your application may vary. One thing I have noticed is in comparison with a unibody vehicle the ride is not nearly as smooth as you experience imperfections in the road. Also, there are some vibrations based on what the hybrid system is doing. The biggest complaint I have, is that when we test drove the Land Cruiser, it felt smoother. I brought it into the dealer and they did not find anything wrong.

STORAGE

For most (weekend) camping trips the Toyota has sufficient space. Our 10-ish year old dog needs help to climb in the back above the battery pack. Being able to recline the back seat (something you can not do in a truck) really helps with rear seat comfort. A few times a year we do take longer trips, in fact we just cam back from a week in Maryland around July 4th. It would have been tight in the Toyota if it hit the dealer lot a month earlier. We could make it work by moving some things in the camper, but we stopped 1/2 way and it is not ideal.

FINAL REMARKS / OTHER

A larger fuel tank would really be nice while towing. Living with a toddler, it is safe to have a stop every 2 hrs, but our first fill up in Asheville was done because we were heading into a more remote stretch. The backup camera is not ideal for lining up the ball (both the Honda and Subaru were better). On the plus side, connecting and disconnecting can be done without the gas engine while keeping the air conditioning on (you have to disable the towing mode). Finally, connecting the 7 pin connector is a little awkward, since it hidden between the hitch and the exhaust. For the first 1000 miles we are averaging 21.4 mpg when we are not towing and 12.6 mpg while connected. if we can edge those up closer to 25 mpg and 15 mpg I will be pretty pleased with things.
Thanks for the detailed report. A bit disappointing in some respects but understandable given all the factors.

Having towed with it now, what is your opinion of pulling a 4500 lb travel trailer? Do you think that would have been too much?

I have no doubt the Land Cruiser can tow a 4500lb camper. A couple things to keep in mind:

4500lb dry weight (camper only) vs the 4500lb with kids, food, gear, water , beer, etc is not the same thing.

There is no lack of torque and I have no doubts with the mechanics of making up a mountain regardless of weight up to 6k. Just realize when the turbo spools up your gas gauge goes down.

I would highly encourage using a Weight Distribution Hitch. The rear does squat a few inches and noticed that the front steering was very light compared to other vehicles we have used in similar applications.

Is it true that you cannot use cruise control when towing?
That is correct. I used the 7pin connector and our camper has electric brakes. The Cruise is disabled. Not sure if you use just the 4 pin or do not need electric brakes, that you may retain cruise while towing a (small) trailer. I personally do not use cruise much while towing, but in empty stretches of flat highway it is nice.

That is correct. I used the 7pin connector and our camper has electric brakes. The Cruise is disabled. Not sure if you use just the 4 pin or do not need electric brakes, that you may retain cruise while towing a (small) trailer. I personally do not use cruise much while towing, but in empty stretches of flat highway it is nice.
That's a bummer, was hoping there was a way around it.

I read somewhere it was radar cruise that wouldn’t work. I thought you could still use the old style cruise control.

You can use Cruise Control, but you cannot use the Adaptive Cruise Control.

Seems polar opposite of what it should be... The adaptive cruise is a great asset to have when someone in front of you has no brake lights and you can't tell they are slowing down... That's what I love about ACC, even if someone hits the brakes with no tail lights, the ACC still sees it and applies the brakes. That would be extremely helpful when towing a trailer...

Seems polar opposite of what it should be... The adaptive cruise is a great asset to have when someone in front of you has no brake lights and you can't tell they are slowing down... That's what I love about ACC, even if someone hits the brakes with no tail lights, the ACC still sees it and applies the brakes. That would be extremely helpful when towing a trailer...
They may possibly be worried about the nose of the truck, and therefore the radar, not facing directly forward. This can cause it to misjudge distance.

I have no doubt the Land Cruiser can tow a 4500lb camper. A couple things to keep in mind:

4500lb dry weight (camper only) vs the 4500lb with kids, food, gear, water , beer, etc is not the same thing.

There is no lack of torque and I have no doubts with the mechanics of making up a mountain regardless of weight up to 6k. Just realize when the turbo spools up your gas gauge goes down.

I would highly encourage using a Weight Distribution Hitch. The rear does squat a few inches and noticed that the front steering was very light compared to other vehicles we have used in similar applications.
Very good info, and thanks for the response. I am certainly going to keep in mind the additional weight I might add when actually using a travel trailer. I will be renting one first to test it out, and I wanted to get some opinions on an acceptable trailer length for a travel trailer. The one my wife likes is 29.5 ft and weights 4500 lbs. empty (Jayco Jay Flight SLX 260BH), but I keep reading that the shorter wheelbase of 112.2 inches may be too short for trailers that long (but once again, this is something I'll be bugging the dealership about as we rent a trailer). I have several other options that are shorter, but I want to rule this one out first.

Oh good, I just pulled our 3000# trailer 975 miles in one day ('16 4Runner), and there is no way I could have done that without CC. I simply cannot wait to never tow with the prehistoric 4Runner again!

When I used to tow with my Sienna I used these, which kept it level with little fuss. Super easy install.

1724774932105.png

At least when using the 4-pin connector, you can use the adaptive cruise control (and the accompanying lane assist) in tow/haul mode.
On Friday, I pulled a full 5x8 UHaul trailer from AL to NC averaging 19mpg at 70mph. Not the same load nor elevation gain as that for the OP but good to know that all features work w smaller towing chores.
That said, I wouldn’t use the adaptive cruise in a congested area where the speed is fluctuating greatly. I think that is too much precision (regarding degree of acceleration or braking) to ask of the system when towing a load.

Last edited:
Back