Using Rock rails as a running board

Buckfever

📛 Founding Member
Apr 12, 2024
Media
Lake County, IL
Vehicles
Porsche Macan GTS
I'm just wondering if I'm the only one doing this. Right hand on the grab handle left foot foot on the Rock Rail up and in. Easy peasy. I had a flash memory of how I used to enter the 4Runner and there it was.

I was doing the same but wanted bit more footing so I moved the rails farther out using spacers between the frame and the rails and also added strip of skateboard tape.

Using 1/4" spacers, found that 1” was most I can move without modifying the rocker trim and in new position front mounting point no longer aligns but still having it attached at three beefy mounting brackets, it's pretty stiff and does a decent job as running board.

I'm just wondering if I'm the only one doing this. Right hand on the grab handle left foot foot on the Rock Rail up and in. Easy peasy. I had a flash memory of how I used to enter the 4Runner and there it was.
Yup, easy peasy…until a snow or ice storm hits. Then things get a bit slippery.

I was doing the same but wanted bit more footing so I moved the rails farther out using spacers between the frame and the rails and also added strip of skateboard tape.

Using 1/4" spacers, found that 1” was most I can move without modifying the rocker trim and in new position front mounting point no longer aligns but still having it attached at three beefy mounting brackets, it's pretty stiff and does a decent job as running board.
Great fix! Any idea how the bars are holding up as moving them out a bit put extra torque on the bolts, bars, welds, and frame due to changing a moment arm. Not saying it will have an effect and the fact they are rock rails the difference should be negligible….but there.

I was looking into getting a set of rock rails. Since I really don’t the steps all that much. I ended up going with the GREENLANE OFFROAD rails with the bump out option. Just waiting for delivery.

That's a cool idea. I am looking for someone wanted to trade running boards for rock rails in Ontario... but I don't think enough are on the road here, yet. What did you use for the spacers?

Back