Unsprung Weight

BossEvelope

📛 Founding Member
Jun 25, 2024
Media
NY
Vehicles
Land Cruiser 250
How much unsprung weight needs to change, per wheel, to feel a difference in the vehicle’s performance and mpg?

I have heard that the hybrid assist is able to mask some of the impact to performance from unsprung weight changes. But how much weight needs to change exactly to start seeing a difference? Ultimately I’m trying to figure out how much consideration should I give to unsprung weight when picking a tire/wheel setup.

How much unsprung weight needs to change, per wheel, to feel a difference in the vehicle’s performance and mpg?

I have heard that the hybrid assist is able to mask some of the impact to performance from unsprung weight changes. But how much weight needs to change exactly to start seeing a difference? Ultimately I’m trying to figure out how much consideration should I give to unsprung weight when picking a tire/wheel setup.
Well, I think that it is obvious that the heavy tires/wheels are hurting the fuel economy on many of the inmates rigs. Frankly, I just don’t see the point in putting big pokey oversized tires on one of these. If you want a jeep(🤮), or Bronco (🤮), or what ever.. fine.. but why ruin such a beautiful rig as what we have?

I've got the same thoughts rolling through my head around tires'/wheels' impact to fuel mileage and performance (also noise and ride quality, but want to keep this on topic). I'm definitely not interested in "big, pokey, oversized tires" (and don't want a Jeep or Bronco! 😆), but I do want something more aggressive/performant/durable for driving on trails than the stock Michelin's mine came with.

Currently thinking that 275/70r18 is the right size for me, but still deciding between SL and E load. I suspect I'll eventually land on the Nitto Terra Grappler G3 in SL to balance the day-to-day driveability with a bit of off-road performance...just wish there were more real world reviews out there!

I've got the same thoughts rolling through my head around tires'/wheels' impact to fuel mileage and performance (also noise and ride quality, but want to keep this on topic). I'm definitely not interested in "big, pokey, oversized tires" (and don't want a Jeep or Bronco! 😆), but I do want something more aggressive/performant/durable for driving on trails than the stock Michelin's mine came with.

Currently thinking that 275/70r18 is the right size for me, but still deciding between SL and E load. I suspect I'll eventually land on the Nitto Terra Grappler G3 in SL to balance the day-to-day driveability with a bit of off-road performance...just wish there were more real world reviews out there!
Same! Definitely not thinking of going oversized, but want an A/T tire for more aggressive look and better performance on trails. I have the dealer upgraded 20s, so I’m weighing whether it’s worth buying 18s with an SL A/T tire and staying at roughly the same weight. Alternatively I can just add A/T SL to my 20s and take on 6-7 pounds per wheel.

Back