TSS 3.0 - Capacitive Steering Wheel?

Cosmic

📛 Founding Member
Jun 28, 2024
Portland, OR
Can anyone confirm if the steering wheel for the LC has capacitive sensors when adaptive cruise control is used?

Both the Tundra and Sequoia have capacitive steering wheels, so you can gently rest your hand on the wheel rather than torquing it intermittently, which becomes a nuisance on longer road trips. Lower-cost Toyotas, including the new Tacoma, don't seem to have these sensors and rely on torque on the wheel.

99% sure you can lightly rest hand…. Not sure for how long as I still don’t fully trust it, but I’ve def done a few mins in a row of very light touching (like a few fingertips of one hand on wheel) with no warnings

What is this magic?
Car pretty much self drives on freeway with minimal driver interaction necessary. It keeps speed, breaks & speeds up when necessary, and steers as well.

I went for a surf this morning and left the house at 5am to drive south about 15 miles. Once I got on freeway I set cruise control; kicked my feet up, lightly touched wheel, and sipped my coffee and enjoyed a podcast until the exit. Then I took over driving again.

I wasn't aware that the vehicle would drive it's self with adaptive cruise control on.

Car pretty much self drives on freeway with minimal driver interaction necessary. It keeps speed, breaks & speeds up when necessary, and steers as well.

I went for a surf this morning and left the house at 5am to drive south about 15 miles. Once I got on freeway I set cruise control; kicked my feet up, lightly touched wheel, and sipped my coffee and enjoyed a podcast until the exit. Then I took over driving again.
Wow!🤩 My job involves driving hundreds of miles a week mostly on highways. I will definitely be using this feature a lot.

Don't know if I trust it (I use the adaptive cruise all the time, but never let go of the steering wheel), but I am going to try it out.

Don't know if I trust it (I use the adaptive cruise all the time, but never let go of the steering wheel), but I am going to try it out.
Yeah with Toyotas version you can’t go full hands free for too long - 20 seconds maybe - you just have to lightly rest hands on steering wheel.

I’ve found that when on freeway with little to no traffic I feel pretty comfortable doing little interactions if there’s congestion I let it do speed stuff but mostly control the steering myself.

I should point out, I think this feature is only available on the premium package and above. It was why I spent the extra money. My other car has this feature and it makes road trips across the Midwest much better.

Yes it does. I just put a little pressure on the bottom with my knee every so often so it thinks my hands are on it. Works amazing with the traffic jam assist. It will go to a dead stop and start again as traffic starts moving.

How do you activate traffic jam assist? I was having a hard time doing it. I know how to do normal cruise control but couldn’t figure out traffic jam assist.

Yeah with Toyotas version you can’t go full hands free for too long - 20 seconds maybe - you just have to lightly rest hands on steering wheel.

I’ve found that when on freeway with little to no traffic I feel pretty comfortable doing little interactions if there’s congestion I let it do speed stuff but mostly control the steering myself.
Next level: comma.ai — make driving chill

Don’t think they have cracked Toyota Security in some of the late model vehicles yet have they? Toyota seems to have locked it down. I’m sure at some point they will crack it and they have a bounty out. The Highlander is one of their highly recommended vehicles with it so that’s encouraging

How do you activate traffic jam assist? I was having a hard time doing it. I know how to do normal cruise control but couldn’t figure out traffic jam assist.
It's part of cruise control. It will automatically turn on that mode when traffic slows, it will recognize you are in traffic. You can even engage it at a stop. I was in traffic and engaged cruise control @ 65mph and it will just sit there until traffic moves.

I like the LC auto-pilot. Compared to the Tesla M3, the LC is superior in several ways. It doesn't complain and disengage if you take over temporarily (just picks right back up without drama) and resting your hand on the capacitive steering wheel is a big win. Tesla is resistive and you have to wiggle the steering wheel every so often, to get it to register (gets annoying over time).

I haven't had a chance to try it in traffic so I don't have a comparison there. Tesla is very smooth and requires no input to pick back up from a full stop. I hope the LC is as well.

The LC does not require input to pick back up from a full stop either. Once traffic starts moving there is a little chime and message saying 'vehicle resuming' or something like that. I have no Tesla experience but I love how it works on the LC.

Back