Transmission temperature / 4LO gears

DenisLM

📛 Founding Member
May 21, 2024
Media
Maple Valley, WA
Vehicles
2024 Land Cruiser LC premium
Yesterday I did a steep climb (1300 ft in 0.6 mile) and noticed the trans temperature going up quite a lot.
Didn't get any messages or actually touched the red part but it got close.

Done the same trail (forest road) a few times on my 4Runner TRD Pro without problems, however there's no temperature information there so...
Did the same a couple times with a RAM 1500 and noticed temperature rising a bit but nothing concerning.

I kept 4HI, next time I'll try 4LO just in case. ON the 4Runner I did 4 LO or HI and worked great either way.
Going down I kept 4 LO and M3 as engine brake and worked great holding the LC down with minimal brake intervention.
The 4LO on the 4Runner let me drive quite faster than I noticed on the Land Cruiser. Feels like the 4 LO is very limited on the gears. I can't go past M3 on 4LO.

Anyone else noticing high temperatures on transmission after big climbs? And what is your experience with 4 LO ?

Yesterday I did a steep climb (1300 ft in 0.6 mile) and noticed the trans temperature going up quite a lot.

Done the same trail (forest road) a few times on my 4Runner TRD Pro without problems, however there's no temperature information there so...
Did the same a couple times with a RAM 1500 and noticed temperature rising a bit but nothing concerning.

I kept 4HI, next time I'll try 4LO just in case. ON the 4Runner I did 4 LO or HI and worked great either way.
Going down I kept 4 LO and M3 as engine brake and worked great holding the LC down with minimal brake intervention.
The 4LO on the 4Runner let me drive quite faster than I noticed on the Land Cruiser. Feels like the 4 LO is very limited on the gears. I can't go past M3 on 4LO.

Anyone else noticing high temperatures on transmission after big climbs? And what is your experience with 4 LO ?
I assume it wants higher revs before it will let you shift into M4. Does the auto not shift into 4th gear in LO?

I agree that the vehicle is not comfortable relative to other 4WD at higher speeds in LO.

I assume it wants higher revs before it will let you shift into M4. Does the auto not shift into 4th gear in LO?

I agree that the vehicle is not comfortable relative to other 4WD at higher speeds in LO.
I tried another time and still no past the 3rd gear, manually or automatically .

Not sure if this have anything to do with the full time vs part time, but the transmission behavior is certainly limited when the 4LO is engaged. like is only intended to climb and ultra low speeds, nothing else.
The old 4Runner I used to kick in 4LO on the first climb when in get in the forest roads and typically leave there even when I get to the top, as most speeds are 30-40mph max. Now I feel I need to go back and forth...

I think that the owners manuals has warnings about how fast you should go, or not go, in 4 low.

I tried another time and still no past the 3rd gear, manually or automatically .

Not sure if this have anything to do with the full time vs part time, but the transmission behavior is certainly limited when the 4LO is engaged. like is only intended to climb and ultra low speeds, nothing else.
The old 4Runner I used to kick in 4LO on the first climb when in get in the forest roads and typically leave there even when I get to the top, as most speeds are 30-40mph max. Now I feel I need to go back and forth...
Perhaps they feel that with the fancy torque converter that low range is seldom needed. I've had it in LO six gear in automatic, but its running 4000 rpm. It will not allow a lower rpm in low range.

So the question I have is what can't high range, MTS on, ceter locker engaged do.

The idea of 4 lo is to go slow with more torque for tricky situations. The vehicle may not be going fast enough for 4th to engage.

After several days of mountain driving I see no transmission temp problems at all, The most extreme was from 5000-11000 feet starting with an air temp of 95F. Up to 10% grade.

The vehicle simply isn't designed to do road travel in low range. It wants to run in high range at about 1800 rpm when possible and use the turbo. This feels too low rpm for manual drivers, but trust the awesomeness.

Back