Transmission Overheating - anyone else?

Actually quite surprised that a code is not stored after it shows a message that says to pull over. Even if the message disappears you would expect it to store that it happened. I mean my GR86 will record if I drive too fast or rev too high according to internet reports of denied warranty claims for those reasons.

Actually quite surprised that a code is not stored after it shows a message that says to pull over. Even if the message disappears you would expect it to store that it happened. I mean my GR86 will record if I drive too fast or rev too high according to internet reports of denied warranty claims for those reasons.
It means it not a code, which probably happens at a higher temp

I wanted to share my experience with the community in case others are having similar issues.

My Land Cruiser (1100 miles) is reporting overheated transmission fluid under certain conditions that my service center has been unable to replicate and therefore do anything about especially with the absence of any thrown codes.

On relatively slow (10-45 mph) winding paved and gravel roads that head up into the mountain near me, the transmission temp gauge gradually climbs to about 3/4 of the way to the red. If I continue on a dirt road that also puts the vehicle under load at slow speeds going up a hill the gauge will eventually hit the red and I will get a message that the transmission fluid temp is high and to pull over safely. This dirt road seems to be the trigger that actually overheats the transmission. The section of off-road trail is not tough trail and does not require low-range or even locking the center diff. Kias/Subarus have been on this part of road in the past.

I currently only able to read transmission temp sensor #1 from the ECU and between 245F and 250F the vehicle is overheated. At around 235 the gauge is 3/4 of the way towards the red. At one point I watched the temp gauge, in the span of about 4-5 seconds, go from blinking red (overheated) then drop to the middle point and then move back up to just below the red all while not moving.

As another data point, I am routinely in the 200F-215F while putzing around town which seems to be on the warm side however I do not really know what the expected normal operating temp is. I have also noticed that from about 130F to 215F the transmission temp gauge remains in the middle.

I am not able to replicate this issue while driving in the city or highway driving in the mountains.

Is anyone else experiencing anything similar? I would be curious to know what temps others have been observing around town and under load like mountain or light off-road driving.
Iam new to this forum as im trying to see if orhers habe had issues with 2024 LC.
Mine has transmission failure at 1004 miles. Started with oil marks on drive way which we never suspected it was LC but then got a hybrid malfunction code vehicle stopped in the middle of a intersection, endangered me and my kids . Took to dealer and they noticed moisture on gasket and thought it was a faulty gasket. When they replaced it found metal shaving and metal debris in transmission. Now no eta on transmission. Toyota is cold and unsympathetic. Idk if i should seek legal help.

Iam new to this forum as im trying to see if orhers habe had issues with 2024 LC.
Mine has transmission failure at 1004 miles. Started with oil marks on drive way which we never suspected it was LC but then got a hybrid malfunction code vehicle stopped in the middle of an intersection, endangered me and my kids . Took to dealer and they noticed moisture on gasket and thought it was a faulty gasket. When they replaced it found metal shaving and metal debris in transmission. Now no eta on transmission. Toyota is cold and unsympathetic. Idk if i should seek legal help.
Welcome to the forum Erika B. I am sorry that you are having such problems.. Is the dealer any help?

Mine has transmission failure at 1004 miles. Started with oil marks on drive way which we never suspected it was LC but then got a hybrid malfunction code vehicle stopped in the middle of a intersection, endangered me and my kids . Took to dealer and they noticed moisture on gasket and thought it was a faulty gasket. When they replaced it found metal shaving and metal debris in transmission. Now no eta on transmission. Toyota is cold and unsympathetic. Idk if i should seek legal help.
Yes sorry to hear you are having issues! Legal help? It is brand new and should be under warranty so Toyota should handle 100%. I would think you would also be given a rental until your LC is back in good shape. Was this not the case? Did the dealer not offer you this?

Contact Toyota directly. Not the dealer the Manufacturer. I would seek legal action if they are not fixing it but you have a Warrenty this most definitely will be covered!

Depending on your state of residence if repairs take longer than 30 days, of the vehicle is in the shop multiple times for the same problem in the span of a certain set amount of time; you might have a Lemon Law case to force a buyback.

Contact Toyota directly. Not the dealer the Manufacturer. I would seek legal action if they are not fixing it but you have a Warrenty this most definitely will be covered!
Exactly. Personally I would go back to my dealer first but regardless of how effectively they were handling the issue, I would still contact Toyota Corp directly to make sure communication is going on between them and your issue is properly documented.

Back