Transmission issues - hard fall in and out of gears

AnnieNWicket

đź“› Founding Member
Oct 16, 2024
Alberta
Vehicles
2024 Land Cruiser
I have owned my brand new 24 LC for 6 wks. I just did a road trip from Alberta to the Oregon/Cali Coast and she drove like a dream (mostly). I adored the adaptive cruise and her easy handling. I racked up 5500km on my trip with only minor hiccups during my drive time, which I chalked up to being a brand new vehicle.
During the last 2 hrs on my drive/return home, my LC made her first hard gear change while going up hill in auto cruise (at about 100km/h). It was so jarring, I thought I’d actually hit something on the road. About two mins later, she did it again while downshifting on a hill. I can confirm, I did not hit anything… instead my beautiful beast was acting up. It literally shook the car (and me) but she kept going. The rest of the drive home she had some minor clunks as I drove in normal city traffic to my home.
The following day, out doing errands, she had a full on fit. Never got her over 60km/h and she was shifting between gears hard and loud and shaking the car. Lucky my errands were close and I went back home right away and called to book her in at the dealership. I am scared to drive her now. I had one day between the appointment for her to be looked at, where I needed to do a quick errand… literally a 3 min drive up a hill and 3 mins down… the way down, she drove without issue. Leaving the parking lot and up the hill was cringe worthy. So bad I put her in manual and clunked my way home… at least in manual I know the shift is coming vs the random and surprise of whats she will do in automatic.
She’s at the dealership, their initial diagnostic shows nothing, but during the drive inspection, there is clearly something very wrong. They are keeping her for the next two days to dig in.
My issues arose at all ranges of speeds and gears and in both automatic and manual drive modes. It even began under the control of auto cruise.
The good thing is it didn’t act up fully while I was enjoying my road trip, but now I see those small clunky shifts between gears… were leading me and my girl to something more ominous. I’m glad I was so close to home when this all came to a head, because that’s be a full bag of dog poo had it happened mid trip.
Anyone in the same boat and severity?

Back