TPMS

CB3

đź“› Founding Member
Aug 7, 2024
CO
Vehicles
LC
Probably a dumb question but if you replace your stock wheels with new wheels, how do you get the TPMS to work on the new wheels? Do you need to remove from stock wheels and put in new or is it better just to order new?

I manually deflated and broke the bead on my factory take-off 20” wheels/tires and removed the factory sensors and then installed them into the 18” wheels/tires I purchased from a forum member. He had had his sensors removed by his tire shop during his swap, so they came without. I’ll tell you it was a tough job and I needed to have them balanced anyway. In hindsight, I should have had the tire shop do it all!

But they registered almost immediately with the TPMS system and all good.

Page 561 in the owners manual discusses how to register new TPMS IDs. Though, I'll admit I'm also struggling with getting this procedure to work.

Thanks. I think I’ll let the tire shop handle too although I wanted to keep my set of 20s as a spare set. I guess if the quote I get to remove and then install in new wheels is around same cost as a new TPMS, I will get new ones…and then get them to make sure it’s working.

Hopefully you have better luck than I did, Discount Tire couldn't do it with their tools. The guy tried 3 different things.
I’m going through a Toyota dealership. They’ve been super helpful and gave me a good deal if I bought my tires through them. He said they will swap them out for me and make sure working. We’ll see. Now I’m just waiting on Toytec. I’m ready to lose the soccer mom look of my LC with 20” wheels and get some A/T tires on it!

Hell yeah, I'd say the ride quality has improved as well. Also just as an update I did get my TMPS sensors to lock in this afternoon, so I'm happy now.

Back