Tire Recommendation

CallmeRupert

๐Ÿ“› Founding Member
Feb 21, 2024
Media
Dallas, TX
Vehicles
2024 Land Cruiser First Edition
Has anyone had experience with the Nokian Outpost nAT tires? I'm thinking about putting those on my FE once it arrives.

I know the wildpeaks are probably a safer bet. But I really love Nokian as a brand and would love to support them if their AT tires are competitive.

Nokian_Tyres_Outpost_nAT_Tread_1500x1000.jpg

Ooooh. If it hold up to Nokian's winter tire pedigree, I would be very interested.

Grain of salt, but this one random fella on youtube seems to like them a lot. They mentions most of their driving is in the Sierra, which is similar to the kind of conditions I would optimize for here in Idaho.

Interesting, I ran Nokian winter tires and they were the best snow tires Iโ€™ve ever had, better than my current blizzaks. Not sure if their Aramid Shield that toughens the sidewall is a gimmick, but they come with a road hazard warranty to back it up. And 11 lbs lighter per tire than the wikdpeaks in the size Iโ€™m looking at.

Grain of salt, but this one random fella on youtube seems to like them a lot. They mentions most of their driving is in the Sierra, which is similar to the kind of conditions I would optimize for here in Idaho.

This is an awesome video, thank you for sharing! I read that they are actually better than the mainstream Wildpeaks and Open countries as an all rounder.

I'm sold and will be getting these! There are two versions the LT and regular P version. LT is significantly heavier. Is the regular non-LT fine with the LC?

Last edited:

Look cool, but I' m concerned about road noise. My KO2s are quite on the highway and I'm curious if anyone has real world experience on how loud they are.

Look cool, but I' m concerned about road noise. My KO2s are quite on the highway and I'm curious if anyone has real world experience on how loud they are.
The review on ih8mud linked below says they are "shockingly quiet on road", but that's subjective depending on what you've run before. I thought I read another review that said the hum was not louder but higher pitched than their previous tire, which annoyed him. But ya, not as much history as some other ATs.

I ran Rotiiva ATโ€™s in LT285/70-17 on my 4Runner OR here in AK and absolutely loved them. Regularly aired down to 15psi and ran up trails like Ruby Lake and others near Sutton, AK (steep, very technical w/rocks and roots and very slick mud) and they did great. And in the snow, which we have 6months of each year, they were fantastic. They just donโ€™t โ€˜broadcastโ€™ their capabilities with sidewall knobs, which some people like.

This is an awesome video, thank you for sharing! I read that they are actually better than the mainstream Wildpeaks and Open countries as an all rounder.

I'm sold and will be getting these! There are two versions the LT and regular P version. LT is significantly heavier. Is the regular non-LT fine with the LC?
I was taught, and go with the LT as they can take airing down better. Their sidewalls are much sturdier and can better take airing down and running on 15-20 psi.

I've got Nitto Ridge Grapplers on mine and, while they look really nice, I can definitely hear them. I thinking of toning it down a bit with Terra Grappler G2s at some point. Seems like a perfect mix of decent tread and low noise.

Load depends on your driving. How much off-roading will you really do? What type? How many and what type of rocks? How much heavy towing will you do?

LT or Load Range E do have stiffer sidewalls to content with towing heavy loads. As a result when aired down they are a bit more resistant to sharp rocks.

Non-LT or Load Range SL still can have strong sidewalls depending on the model of tire. Theyโ€™re slightly softer on-road, have higher speed ratings, are lighter (and therefore more fuel efficient) but have lower limits for load.

For what itโ€™s worth, I ran Wrangler Duratracs on my Jeep Wrangler. Went off roading many times with it, and never had a puncture. In fact, the only Duratrac sidewall puncture I ever saw was due to improper manual sway bar disconnect placement. And โ€˜everyoneโ€™ complained about weak Duratrac sidewalls. But, thatโ€™s based on the rocks around here in Ontario. They donโ€™t tend to be as sharp. We see more mud, gravel, and worn rocks.

Standard Load still gives us 5K of cargo capacity/tongue weight, which is well over the LCโ€™s limits. For me, Iโ€™ll go SL for the ride, fuel economy, speed rating and cost. The roads around here are horrible and I donโ€™t need any more stiffness than necessary. When I go wheeling Iโ€™ll do it smartly and not take chances on sharp rocks. If I get a puncture, Iโ€™ll replace it.

But if you tow regularly, or go rock crawling regularly, then E might make more sense for you. Only you can decide! And whatever you decide will be right for you!

Load depends on your driving. How much off-roading will you really do? What type? How many and what type of rocks? How much heavy towing will you do?

LT or Load Range E do have stiffer sidewalls to content with towing heavy loads. As a result when aired down they are a bit more resistant to sharp rocks.

Non-LT or Load Range SL still can have strong sidewalls depending on the model of tire. Theyโ€™re slightly softer on-road, have higher speed ratings, are lighter (and therefore more fuel efficient) but have lower limits for load.

For what itโ€™s worth, I ran Wrangler Duratracs on my Jeep Wrangler. Went off roading many times with it, and never had a puncture. In fact, the only Duratrac sidewall puncture I ever saw was due to improper manual sway bar disconnect placement. And โ€˜everyoneโ€™ complained about weak Duratrac sidewalls. But, thatโ€™s based on the rocks around here in Ontario. They donโ€™t tend to be as sharp. We see more mud, gravel, and worn rocks.

Standard Load still gives us 5K of cargo capacity/tongue weight, which is well over the LCโ€™s limits. For me, Iโ€™ll go SL for the ride, fuel economy, speed rating and cost. The roads around here are horrible and I donโ€™t need any more stiffness than necessary. When I go wheeling Iโ€™ll do it smartly and not take chances on sharp rocks. If I get a puncture, Iโ€™ll replace it.

But if you tow regularly, or go rock crawling regularly, then E might make more sense for you. Only you can decide! And whatever you decide will be right for you!
Thank you for the detailed explanation man! Much appreciated it :)

Has anyone had experience with the Nokian Outpost nAT tires? I'm thinking about putting those on my FE once it arrives.

I know the wildpeaks are probably a safer bet. But I really love Nokian as a brand and would love to support them if their AT tires are competitive.

Nokian_Tyres_Outpost_nAT_Tread_1500x1000.jpg
I wasn't even aware of these! Thanks. I've added them to my spreadsheet of AT/Off-Road tires for the stock 18" wheels so I have a few more options to endlessly ponder while waiting. This is one of the lowest weight options.

Edit to say oh, wow, it actually inserted the spreadsheet?!? That's never happened before.

Last edited:
I wasn't even aware of these! Thanks. I've added them to my spreadsheet of AT/Off-Road tires for the stock 18" wheels so I have a few more options to endlessly ponder my options while waiting. This is one of the lowest weight options.

Edit to say oh, wow, it actually inserted the spreadsheet?!? That's never happened before.

Yeah! Nokian is a Finnish brand and are fairly new to the A/T space. I know they make some of the best winter tires available, so I'd love get them these newly release nATs a try.

Thank you for updating the spreadsheet, we all really appreciate it ๐Ÿ‘

Its between the Toyo AT3 and the Falken Wildpeak AT4. I have Toyo on my current landcruiser for 2 years and really like them with excellent traction in rain and snow. I have never tried the Falken yet. I also have KO2 on my Ram truck for 3 years so I am familiar with those too. Toyo beats the KO2's in my opinion but they are close. Toyo does better in the snow. However the KO2 was a significant upgrade from the wrangler Duratracs that came on the truck new. Those were horrible in the rain and got really loud at 15k so much so I had to switch them to KO2 very early.

Man I would size up to 275 at least. For looks and the added height. After researching obsessively i came away with the toyo open country a/t 3โ€™s 275/70/18 E1 10 ply. Also the lightest 10 ply e1 even on your list. Which is part of why i got them. The toyos, ko3, and wild peak seem to be the top rated ones. But the other two are quite a bit heavier. I donโ€™t know anything about Nokian. Might be even better. But wanted to recommend considering them ๐Ÿ‘

Man I would size up to 275 at least. For looks and the added height. After researching obsessively i came away with the toyo open country a/t 3โ€™s 275/70/18 E1 10 ply. Also the lightest 10 ply e1 even on your list. Which is part of why i got them. The toyos, ko3, and wild peak seem to be the top rated ones. But the other two are quite a bit heavier. I donโ€™t know anything about Nokian. Might be even better. But wanted to recommend considering them ๐Ÿ‘
My default would be 275/70R18, but there's a roughly 10 lb leap going from the few available C/SL load 265's to the E load 275's. The Nokian's and Toyo's do look like they win on weight. I thought I'd heard the Toyo's were not as good as the Duratrac, A/T4W or K03 in snow? That and the weight makes the Nokian's tempting since, how could they be bad in snow?

My default would be 275/70R18, but there's a roughly 10 lb leap going from the few available C/SL load 265's to the E load 275's. The Nokian's and Toyo's do look like they win on weight. I thought I'd heard the Toyo's were not as good as the Duratrac, A/T4W or K03 in snow? That and the weight makes the Nokian's tempting since, how could they be bad in snow?
They are 3 peak rated and seem fine on my reads. I totally understand standard load, even lighter. But 265โ€™s look really dinky to me honestly. And i would prefer to be prepared for a rock puncture off roading with the 10 ply. Sounds like youโ€™ve made up your mind. Which is fine! Tell us how they are if you get them ๐Ÿ‘

Last edited by a moderator:
They are 3 peak rated and seem fine on my reads. I totally understand standard load, even lighter. But 265โ€™s look really dinky to me honeslty. I would like to be prepared for a rock puncture off roading. Sounds like youโ€™ve made up your mind. Which is fine! Tell us how they are if you get them ๐Ÿ‘
I'm much too indecisive to have made up my mind yet! (Plus I'm far enough down the waiting list that I still have a good wait before I have to decide!)

I was filling in the table a little more today, it looks like the Toyo's only have a 2 ply sidewall which has got to help make them lighter. The Nokian's I can't find that info, but I suspect it's also 2 ply. (They have a lifetime sidewall damage guarantee though, although I'm not sure it would apply to off-road damage?) Surprisingly the Falken WildPeak A/T4W's are also only 2 ply until you get up to the 285/70R18's, but they're still as heavy as the 3 ply tires. (Sidewall ply info is a little hard to find so take some of this with a grain of salt and let me know if you find good sources, or have a tire in front of you to read it off of!)

I agree the 265 seems too small, as tempting as the low weight is. There's a video from a SEMA session for third party accessory manufacturers where one of the Lexus/Toyota reps said these are designed for a 33" tire, so size wise that's where I'd like to be. 275 probably, I might even think about 285's once I hear more feedback on how they do off-road with lots of flex (and if they fit in the spare location).

Back