Think I'll wait for the Crash Test Results

jumpin

📛 Founding Member
Aug 2, 2024
usa
Vehicles
Highlander 2019
I think I'll cool my heels until the crash test results are in. Especially iihs tests. I can't find any information about when the LC or the GX550 will be crash tested.

Having been laid up for months after being hit by a drunk driver, I can't help but want to walk away from a crash this time. Life is too short to invite that experience again.

There's much discussion here on performance and bling but how many, besides me, are concerned about crash safety?

All the trucks on my short shopping list either have safety concerns (4Runner Gen 5 has poor small front overlap results) or are unknown (LC, GX550, 4Runner Gen 6).

Toyota recently improved the crash worthiness of the Sienna so here's hoping they applied some UMPH to the new LC platform. Fingers crossed! I don't really want to buy another Subaru, but I guess I will if I "have to".

FWIW the crash I did not walk away from was in a Ford Explorer 2006 vintage.

I went by the Prado’s generally good historical crash safety ratings. No reason to think they’d put out a less safe rig

Unfortunately, the very first crash in the land cruiser was reported a couple of months ago. I don’t know the speed or the context, but it was a pretty bad accident. Both driver and passenger were OK. This always weighs on my mind. It was stressful for me when buying a forerunner for my son. I was concerned because of all the plastic. But this land cruiser appeared to hold up well for the very first crash that was reported. I can understand having some PTSD

I would take the worst rated 2024 vehicle in a crash against a 2006 Ford Explorer (or well anything from that vintage). The tests have progressively gotten more and more difficult.

While the 4 Runner did poorly on the small overlap crash test, keep in mind that the 5th Gen 4 Runner predates the test. I will be a little surprised does not ace the test.

Previously owning a Subaru Outback and Ascent, I would probably prefer to be in a wreck with one of them over a Land Cruiser. While the Toyota has more weight, one of the key benefits with a unibody design is that it is generally better engineered to absorb the impact in a wreck. Additionally, the Subaru, especially the Outback, has a much lower center of gravity providing the potential to avoid a wreck and/or less chance of rolling over along with feeling generally more solid.

I appreciate the tip to look into prior model Prado ratings. That does look encouraging.

For what it's worth, I attached the Australia ANCAP test report for the previous Prado model.

ANCAP uses somewhat lower speeds than IIHS. I also added a link discussing some of the differences between testing by the big 3: IIHS, ANCAP, and NHSTA.

Attachments

• ANCAP test 2022 Prado.pdf
    337 KB · Views: 26
An aside: I really like IIHS headlight evaluation. I found it useful when comparing models and trims in general, for their night driving experience.

I think I'll cool my heels until the crash test results are in. Especially iihs tests. I can't find any information about when the LC or the GX550 will be crash tested.

Having been laid up for months after being hit by a drunk driver, I can't help but want to walk away from a crash this time. Life is too short to invite that experience again.

There's much discussion here on performance and bling but how many, besides me, are concerned about crash safety?

All the trucks on my short shopping list either have safety concerns (4Runner Gen 5 has poor small front overlap results) or are unknown (LC, GX550, 4Runner Gen 6).

Toyota recently improved the crash worthiness of the Sienna so here's hoping they applied some UMPH to the new LC platform. Fingers crossed! I don't really want to buy another Subaru, but I guess I will if I "have to".
I’m glad you are okay. Take your time. Heal well.

That being said, I bought each of my daughters a new Subaru Outback premium (they picked out what they wanted) in 2010, mainly because of the legendary handling in austere terrain and difficult traction situations, and the 5 star IIHS crash rating. I have lost track of the Subaru ratings since then.

Not a LC, but a 4G Taco. Saw this thread here & on their forum too. With video, but gives a good idea of what you could expect to walk away from with a TGNA-F platform vehicle. Much better than a 2006 anything. I wish you all the best in your recovery!

I appreciate the tip to look into prior model Prado ratings. That does look encouraging.

For what it's worth, I attached the Australia ANCAP test report for the previous Prado model.

ANCAP uses somewhat lower speeds than IIHS. I also added a link discussing some of the differences between testing by the big 3: IIHS, ANCAP, and NHSTA.

Looks like they’re going for a 4 out of 3 on the seatbelt warning score

In multi vehicle accidents, modern vehicles' size and weight > crash test rating. People driving lighter vehicles don't want to hear that reality. Take a look at the recent video of the 7000lb Rivian destroying road barriers with only moderate damage to the vehicle. Now substitute that barriers with an old and light Subaru.

Back