stock skid plate and running boards vs. optional ones

alex_shin

๐Ÿ“› Founding Member
May 29, 2024
Media
Portland, OR
Vehicles
2011 Toyota Highlander
I was wondering how robust are the stock skid plate and running boards on a base LC ?
What confused me is that configurator offers upgraded skid plate and rock rails.
Do I need those?

I plan on doing some not-too-extreme off-roading.
For reference, I just ripped gas tank open on my Highlander in Owyhee Canyonlands over Memorial weekend :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
The first edition comes with a steel skid plate. I'm not sure what the other trims come with. The rock rails and skid plates are a nice bit of extra protection.

My LC/LC came with a front skid plate of light gauge metal and a plastic skid plate. I replaced these with the optional steel (silver) skid plates which in addition to being heavier gauge steel, are longer and extends to about the middle of the front doors.

I was wondering how robust are the stock skid plate and running boards on a base LC ?
What confused me is that configurator offers upgraded skid plate and rock rails.
Do I need those?

For reference, I just ripped gas tank open on my Highlander in Owyhee Canyonlands over Memorial weekend :ROFLMAO:
When I rode Gretchen (Avatar photo) out there, I was glad for all the protection that she had, that regular GSโ€™s did not have. If I still lived out there, I would have nothing less that the First Edition skid plates and rock rails. Just sayinโ€™โ€ฆ

When I rode Gretchen (Avatar photo) out there, I was glad for all the protection that she had, that regular GSโ€™s did not have. If I still lived out there, I would have nothing less that the First Edition skid plates and rock rails. Just sayinโ€™โ€ฆ
Who is Gretchen?

Do I need those?

Juicy. Howd you do that?

Theres a youtube video out there of a toyota dealership measuring/comparing the skid plates i think theres 1mm of extra thickness on the upgrades. I have the LC premium and the thin front metal plate is meh, and the plastic plate basically keeps grass and mud off. If i eventually need more protection Iโ€™ll upgrade.

Back