Speaker on Cargo Door - seems the speaker grill is there for one but no sound from it?

LCOceans

📛 Founding Member
Aug 10, 2024
Virginia
Vehicles
Land Cruiser First Edition, 4Runner TRD Pro, Lexus GX470
I was playing music today and got into the back of my first edition and it struck me that there seemed to be very little, or no bass coming from the rear of the LC. I looked around and noticed the back cargo door itself has an area of what appears to be where a woofer or larger speaker would be, but no sound coming from it.
Is this a sub- woofer that needs to be turned on? I tried going through all options on the sound section of display but could not find anything to change this.

It's not part of the stereo, it's part of the active noise cancellation system.

(edit) To clarify so I won't be accused of "spreading misinformation" It is part of the Audio/Visual system (listed as speaker #3), the below is taken directly from TIS:

"The active noise control system is a system that detects muffled engine sounds produced in sync that fluctuates according to the engine speed, by using the active noise control microphone and outputs anti-phase control sound through the audio speakers to reduce muffled engine sounds. The active noise control system includes the following functions"

1725370721929.png

Last edited:
Thank you! I would have never figured that out.

I wish people would stop spreading this misinformation...

I just replaced the woofer in my hatch. It is 100% an active sub. I used frequency sweeps and an oscilloscope to verify the signal is active at the plug, and the cone moves and generates sound

There is a low pass filter around 100hz on the speaker in the hatch, meaning only frequencies from 0-100hz are passed to it. This is very low, non-directional sound that only really hits during bass heavy music. This is probably why people dont "hear" sound from it

I wish people would stop spreading this misinformation...

I just replaced the woofer in my hatch. It is 100% an active sub. I used frequency sweeps and an oscilloscope to verify the signal is active at the plug, and the cone moves and generates sound

There is a low pass filter around 100hz on the speaker in the hatch, meaning only frequencies from 0-100hz are passed to it. This is very low, non-directional sound that only really hits during bass heavy music. This is probably why people dont "hear" sound from it
It's not misinformation unless Toyota lied when it produced the documents in TIS. Not saying that what you stated is untrue, however, it is part of Audio/Visual Act Noise Cancellation System. I'm not a stereo guy but it makes sense to me that muffled engine noises would fall along the 100hz range as outlined in the very description of system from Toyota.

Attachments

• Act Noise Control Sys (except 6 Speakers)_ PARTS LOCATION.pdf
    692.1 KB · Views: 16
  • Act Noise Control Sys (for 6 Speakers)_ PARTS LOCATION.pdf
    414.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I am sorry, but saying "its not part of stereo" is misinformation that needs to stop

I am not disagreeing with you that it is also part of the ANC system, both things can be true. As I mentioned in the other thread where you brought this up, all that TIS shows is that the ANC system uses the woofers from the stereo to generate sound. If you take your assumption that "all the speakers listed as part of the ANC TIS are only used for ANC" then there would be no sound from the doors either

Chancellor...Thanks for the explanation here. I have the 1958 model and have been inquiring about this speaker across multiple forums ....I believe your explanation is the best yet across many of these forums, so thank you again for you work here.

Do you know if this speaker is active in the 1958 model? Do you know if the infotainment head unit in the 1958 model supports this speaker? Perhaps your modifications would help bring the bass to life in the 1958...but really not sure it's possible.

BTW...I have not taken the tailgate panel off, as it may be a worthless effort.

What woofer did you replace it with? Does it make any difference with the current ~100hz low pass filter?

Chancellor...Thanks for the explanation here. I have the 1958 model and have been inquiring about this speaker across multiple forums ....I believe your explanation is the best yet across many of these forums, so thank you again for you work here.

Do you know if this speaker is active in the 1958 model? Do you know if the infotainment head unit in the 1958 model supports this speaker? Perhaps your modifications would help bring the bass to life in the 1958...but really not sure it's possible.

BTW...I have not taken the tailgate panel off, as it may be a worthless effort.
I only have access to my LC trim base model (not premium) but i imagine the 1958 works about the same. The TIS guides EOD Guy referenced state a "6 speaker" or "not 6 speaker" system.

I think the 1958 is the 6 speaker: 2 dash, 2 front doors, center dash, hatch woofer. You could check your rear doors to see if they have an active speaker

To test the woofer in the hatch, you need a really bass heavy song, something like "not like us" blasting at 25-30 with the hatch open, you should be able to feel it vibrate in the trim

What woofer did you replace it with? Does it make any difference with the current ~100hz low pass filter?
I used a Morel MSW 265

it definitely sounds better; much cleaner, tighter response. The problem isnt so much the 100hz LPF, but the stereo also filters out the ultra low end 0-20hz, so the woofer is really only active from 20-100hz, I was hoping to get more low end extension from the upgrade as well. Maybe there will be a way to adjust that setting in the future...

Another good test most people could try to prove or disprove my theories:

Hook a laptop up as a bluetooth media source to the LC
Set all the audio tuning to the middle, make sure the speakers are "centered"
use an online frequency generator like Online Tone Generator
Open all the doors and rear hatch
Generate a 30-40hz sine wave tone
Go around and listen to where the tone is coming from
Try different tones, 100hz, 200hz, 400, 1000

The hatch trim is not hard to remove either, but the speaker grill in the hatch doesnt seem to come off

Another good test most people could try to prove or disprove my theories:

Hook a laptop up as a bluetooth media source to the LC
Set all the audio tuning to the middle, make sure the speakers are "centered"
use an online frequency generator like Online Tone Generator
Open all the doors and rear hatch
Generate a 30-40hz sine wave tone
Go around and listen to where the tone is coming from
Try different tones, 100hz, 200hz, 400, 1000

The hatch trim is not hard to remove either, but the speaker grill in the hatch doesnt seem to come off
Easier option is to use your phone and if you subscribe to Spotify, Apple music etc there are several speaker test tracks/albums with various frequency response tones you can select.

Easier option is to use your phone and if you subscribe to Spotify, Apple music etc there are several speaker test tracks/albums with various frequency response tones you can select.
That's a great suggestion, thanks.

One caveat to using a phone is that there could be equalizer settings in the phone or app that could manipulate the signal level somewhat, but for this type of tests that shouldn't be an issie

It's not misinformation unless Toyota lied when it produced the documents in TIS. Not saying that what you stated is untrue, however, it is part of Audio/Visual Act Noise Cancellation System. I'm not a stereo guy but it makes sense to me that muffled engine noises would fall along the 100hz range as outlined in the very description of system from Toyota.

The ANC system employs mics and presumably some DSP and would output signal with the existing speakers. There is no need for an entire separate speaker system for ANC in an automobile. The speaker system is perfectly capable of handling both your jams and your noise cancellation. So the documentation is correct, the speakers ARE a part of the ANC, but not exclusively purposed for the ANC.

I think the 1958 is the 6 speaker: 2 dash, 2 front doors, center dash, hatch woofer. You could check your rear doors to see if they have an active speaker

I have a 1958. The six speakers are 4 woofers in front and rear doors, and 2 in the dash. There is no center dash speaker in the 1958, you can see it's missing in the amp install video posted on the forum. I can see a sub in the rear hatch but it makes no sound from the music played regardless of how much bass is present. Someone also posted the sub in the 1958 has no connections at all, but I will have to confirm for myself when upgrading the stereo.

That's a great suggestion, thanks.

One caveat to using a phone is that there could be equalizer settings in the phone or app that could manipulate the signal level somewhat, but for this type of tests that shouldn't be an issie

I've used the AudioTools app in the past for this kind of stuff. It's been a while though, I've been out of the audio/acoustics game for a while now.

I have a 1958. The six speakers are 4 woofers in front and rear doors, and 2 in the dash. There is no center dash speaker in the 1958, you can see it's missing in the amp install video posted on the forum. I can see a sub in the rear hatch but it makes no sound from the music played regardless of how much bass is present. Someone also posted the sub in the 1958 has no connections at all, but I will have to confirm for myself when upgrading the stereo.
Thanks for clarifying. I think most info for the 1958 is speculation, with a sample size of 1 from a youtube video. Hopefully someone can pull the trim and run some tests to really figure things out.

Studying over the TIS that EOD Guy linked, there are some clues that it uses the existing stereo

There are basically the 3 trims
6 speaker (1958) - shows ANC using front door, dash, and hatch
1725381700576.png

except 6 speaker - 10 speaker (lc base)
except 6 speaker - 14 speaker (JBL)
Both show ANC using front door, rear door, hatch
1725381757945.png

All versions use "Stereo Component Equalizer Assembly"

The "except 6 speaker" also adds "Stereo Component Amplifier Assembly" for both the 10 speaker base and 14 speaker JBL. There does not appear to be any differences between 10 and 14 speakers

Agree 100%

Speakers regardless of their intended purpose, need some sort of amplifier, hence part of the AV system and since I can't get any bass out of it, my "assumption" and only an assumption, is it's mainly used in the ANC. Could be incorrect, but I can live with it if I am.

At least on the LC base stereo, adjusting the Bass level from within the sound settings heavily influences the volume level of the hatch woofer

1725384756870.png

Same, no apparent sound or vibration coming from the rear hatch speaker in my 1958. I have not check to see if it is physically connected yet.

Back