Spare tire removal tool?

mountaindesert

📛 Founding Member
Jun 20, 2024
Media
Wrightwood
Vehicles
Land Cruiser 1958
Does anyone know how to remove the spare tire or what tool is required?

Seems like it should be very easy. However, I never saw this type of bolt before with three holes in it.

The dealership where I bought the vehicle is completely unhelpful. the Manager of the service department told me to Google it Because she had no idea. Unbelievable!

Please see attached picture.

Also, in case it's helpful, every single tire including the spare was overfilled by about 15 to 20 psi. Make sure to check that once you buy it from the dealer.
1000008942.jpg

Does anyone know how to remove the spare tire or what tool is required?

Seems like it should be very easy. However, I never saw this type of bolt before with three holes in it.

The dealership where I bought the vehicle is completely unhelpful. the Manager of the service department told me to Google it Because she had no idea. Unbelievable!

Please see attached picture.

Also, in case it's helpful, every single tire including the spare was overfilled by about 15 to 20 psi. Make sure to check that once you buy it from the dealer. View attachment 3393
Seems to me that that bolt is not meant to be free. Perhaps you lower the tire then unscrew the other side? Anything in the owners manual…I figure it is well documented there.

X2 on lower the spare, when it's hanging by the chain, tip the bar and push it through the wheel. When raising the wheel, you may have to shake it before it gets to the top of the chain's travel, there should be some locating brackets welded to the frame that the tire will nest against when in the full up position and sometimes it'll get a little crooked but seem tight. When you start driving it'll slip and make all kind of funny noises........

You don't remove that. You lower it with the chain and slip it through the hole when it gets to the ground.
Are there any videos that show this? The tire currently is not hanging from the chain.

The chain is loose and dangling through the center of the tire.

I'm not sure how to go about removing or moving that bracket.

Any Suggestions?

Use your tire jack package. Put the extensions together and the pointed part thru the hole that's probably behind the trailer hitch cover (I don't have my LC yet). Engage the crank lowering mechanism and turn the crank counter clockwise to lower the spare. Once the spare reaches the ground with some slack in the chain tilt the bracket and slide it thru the hole. The chain is loose and dangling when it is in the up position because it needs that slack to lower the spare. Hope this helps.

Are there any videos that show this? The tire currently is not hanging from the chain.

The chain is loose and dangling through the center of the tire.

I'm not sure how to go about removing or moving that bracket.

Any Suggestions?
I imagine it's pretty similar to this:

It is in fact, very well documented in the manual
The manual does not detail this out at all. Nor does Toyotas internal TIS system as the dealer checked that.

If I and the dealer overlooked it in the manual, please tell me what page it's on.

Neither I nor the dealer service department could find out how to do it.

However, that video was very helpful.

Interestingly enough, I did not have that key piece that she put on the end of those rods.

Perhaps Toyota forgot that put that in the tool kit.

I sent the Toyota dealership this video. I will update you with any information.

I'll have to keep on searching and try to do it in a bit.

Use your tire jack package. Put the extensions together and the pointed part thru the hole that's probably behind the trailer hitch cover (I don't have my LC yet). Engage the crank lowering mechanism and turn the crank counter clockwise to lower the spare. Once the spare reaches the ground with some slack in the chain tilt the bracket and slide it thru the hole. The chain is loose and dangling when it is in the up position because it needs that slack to lower the spare. Hope this helps.
Very helpful thank you. I will remove the trailer cover late later this week and let you know what I find...

"Interestingly enough, I did not have that key piece that she put on the end of those rods."

If mine has that key, I'll remove it from the tire winch. I have an F250 and somewhere along it's life the key was lost. It's one of those things, put the key with the jack all is well and you never give it a thought again until you have a flat (seven + years) and the magic key is never to be seen again. After a lot of cussing, vice grips and a propane torch and a couple hours later, I managed to get the Key receiver off the tire winch and changed the tire (all on the side of the road).

In my case the "key receiver" was an extension to the slot where the jack handle inserts into. My Taco did not have a "keyed" tire winch.

The manual does not detail this out at all. Nor does Toyotas internal TIS system as the dealer checked that.

If I and the dealer overlooked it in the manual, please tell me what page it's on.

Interestingly enough, I did not have that key piece that she put on the end of those rods.

I sent the Toyota dealership this video. I will update you with any information.

In the manual, in the index labeled spare tire the whole process starts on page 608.

There is no special key. It’s not a key notch. Just put the pieces together and insert the loop end of b. Jack handle into the hole and crank it down.

Attachments

• IMG_0306.jpeg
    IMG_0306.jpeg
    93.3 KB · Views: 102
Correction: I said "Put the extensions together and the pointed part thru the hole" but what's on my 2014 Tacoma is you insert the open hook part of the jack mechanism into the slot in the spare lowering mechanism and turn counter clockwise to lower the tire.

In the manual, in the index labeled spare tire the whole process starts on page 608.
Thank you so much for providing the page number. You're correct, I did not see that (And apparently the dealer didn't either)

That Was very helpful And I will try it this week to make sure I know how to do it. So that the first time I tried is not when I have a flat...

Sounds like your dealer doesn't know how to use TIS properly. If you search "spare" in TIS for the 24 LC, its one of the first knowledge base articles to show up.

It also has a direct link to the digital manual to page 608.

Back