Soundproofing options

BigMF

๐Ÿ“› Founding Member
May 29, 2024
Media
Nashville, TN
Vehicles
2024 Land Cruiser Premium, 2011 Lexus LX570 (Retired)
Has anyone started looking at options to reduce sounds coming in from the exterior? I haven't taken delivery of mine yet so I'm not sure how the road noise will compare to my "luxury" LX570 with General Grabbers.

I guess itโ€™s all relative, but I think the cabin is pretty quiet. Coming from a Jeep Wrangler itโ€™s quiet as a mouse to me. ๐Ÿ˜€

do you get road noise or wind noise?
road noise.....I can't remember what my Cooper Discoverer AT3's sounded like but think the General's are louder.

There is a "Cabin Volume to Exterior Noise Ratio" knob next to the screen. Turn clockwise to reduce apparent exterior noises. :cool:

DFFC602D-FA1A-44D8-8A0A-7CBC1C685FCE.jpeg

I havenโ€™t but def interested. Iโ€™ve got an fe with stock roof rack and would say that the cabin noise becomes first noticeable at 45 mphs then fairly pronounced at highway speeds. To me I think there is some road noise from tires but most of it is wind noise from side mirrors, big boxy body frame and then roof rack too.

Itโ€™s not that bad and with music up you donโ€™t notice at all. At low speeds I think itโ€™s really quiet in the cabin.

I plan to keep mine for a long time and I often am driving early in the morning to go surf, and I like the music a touch lower at those times as Iโ€™m waking up, so happy to invest in some sound proofing.

There is a "Cabin Volume to Exterior Noise Ratio" knob next to the screen. Turn clockwise to reduce apparent exterior noises. :cool:

View attachment 5846
I had a Jeep CJ5 in the early 90's and when the top was off, the only way to counter it was 300 Watts straight into a couple of 12" subwoofers! Of course, it canceled the road noise for everyone else on the highway as well. ๐Ÿ˜‚

I had a Jeep CJ5 in the early 90's and when the top was off, the only way to counter it was 300 Watts straight into a couple of 12" subwoofers! Of course, it canceled the road noise for everyone else on the highway as well. ๐Ÿ˜‚
In my old college days of driving Jeep Wranglers (hard top on or off), the only method of communication with a passenger or actually hearing a 311 song playing on the CD player:
1721855278992.png

I just completed a 700 mile trip, mostly highway 60-75 MPH. small amount of road noise (stock tires) slightly more wind noise from the mirror but not too bad. I have window tint which helps a small amount. After the "new" wears off, I do plan on putting some dynomat inside the doors against the outer skin to get rid of that hollow tin sound when you shut the doors, which may decrease the noise a little more.

I just completed a 700 mile trip, mostly highway 60-75 MPH. small amount of road noise (stock tires) slightly more wind noise from the mirror but not too bad. I have window tint which helps a small amount. After the "new" wears off, I do plan on putting some dynomat inside the doors against the outer skin to get rid of that hollow tin sound when you shut the doors, which may decrease the noise a little more.
I guess you're lucky...I have the LC standard and 70-75 mph in 80 mph freeway, the wind noise from rear right really bothers me. That's even with music on. It sounds like a loud whistle/constant humming. Guess I'd just need to get used to it.

I guess you're lucky...I have the LC standard and 70-75 mph in 80 mph freeway, the wind noise from rear right really bothers me. That's even with music on. It sounds like a loud whistle/constant humming. Guess I'd just need to get used to it.
You might try some wide painters tape over all the exposed voids (roof rack holes/crevices etc and take it for a cruise to see if the noise goes away or at least better, that way you might have a starting point to fix it for good..

Back