So far, so good

RodeoRanch

📛 Founding Member
Jul 18, 2024
Wisconsin
Vehicles
2024 Land Cruiser
Have had my mid-trim LC for a week now. I am generally pleased with it. My last two vehicles were Range Rovers (both bought used coming off a commercial lease). While I wasn't expecting the same trim level I was surprised how rough a ride and how loud (inside) the LC is compared to a 16 year old RR with 140,000 miles.
However, I fit in the LC and can see out of it well (I'm 6'4"). I had hoped to get away from the premium gas requirement, but I haven't. It has a different power curve than my RR with its V8 supercharged engine but I have no problem getting onto the freeway and cruise with the traffic.
My hope is that it will have a better repair cost profile than the Land Rovers- shouldn't be hard.
I will be driving it in the Midwest in the summers and in very very rural AZ/NM in the winter. I wanted something that we could use to go safely and reliably exploring the Sky Islands and desert. Not off road but on primitive gravel and dirt roads.

Sorry/surprised to hear how badly you assess the interior noise. Admittedly not compared to a Range Rover by the Toyota shills, but many remarked it was relatively quiet. However, we know who butters their bread. Good to hear an honest assessment.

Sorry/Surprised to hear how badly you assess the interior noise. Admittedly not compared to a Range Rover by the Toyota shills, but many remarked it was relatively quiet. However, we know who butters their bread.
The interior noise is not awful. I just thought by 2024 the engineers would have done a better job. I think a little less on all the electronics (e.g., two types of cruise control) and maybe a bit more on noise and ride.
I did have air suspension on the RR, it did give it a smoother ride but also allowed it to have higher ground clearance, and when it fails the cost to fix is unconscionable.

However, at the end of the day the Toyota LC was the right choice for me.

Curious when are you hearing noise and do you have a roof rack? The first 700 miles I was really impressed with how quite it is inside, only short highway trips up to 75 MPH and could notice a little wind noise from the mirrors north of 65 MPH, but not a big deal. I do not have a rack. I just did my first trip, 500 miles and I cruised at 82-85 MPH and was disappointed to experience a lot of road noise once it is at 80 MPH and above. It definitely is not made for higher speeds. Everything about it above 80 MPH declines: powertrain, ride quality, handling, and noise. On the East Coast where I’m at it is not a big deal, but I can imagine this would not work too well in the west where regularly cruising at 80+MPH. The ride quality (at least over bumps and at lower speeds) was vastly improved with changing out the tires, which I did at 200 miles, I thought it was already pretty good for body on frame, now I’d rate it as great for body on frame. However, the AT’s I put on could be part of the problem here at high speeds north of 80, so maybe my experience is not reflective of everyone’s experience, but I’d be surprised at that given how smooth and quite they are cruising at 75 MPH. I get it is a big, tall, and heavy box, but my Tacoma OR’s could cruise at 85 MPH all day without this kind of degradation to the driving experience - noise, handling, and responsiveness.

Last edited:
Curious when are you hearing noise and do you have a roof rack?
Yes, it came with one.
The ride quality (at least over bumps and at lower speeds) was vastly improved with changing out the tires, which I did at 200 miles,
What size and type of tires did you have and what size and type did you switch to? I really wanted the 18" tires but I got the 20".

Haven't driven it at 80 or more, too few miles on it to push it that hard.

All in all, I'm glad I got it rather than the Land Rover Defender.

Yes, it came with one.

What size and type of tires did you have and what size and type did you switch to? I really wanted the 18" tires but I got the 20".

Haven't driven it at 80 or more, too few miles on it to push it that hard.

All in all, I'm glad I got it rather than the Land Rover Defender.
People seem to be getting a lot of wind noise from the roof racks, the first edition rack particularly seems to be really bad, but even the OEM crossbars on the roof rails I’ve seen people complaining about the amount of wind noise. If you take the rack or crossbars off, depending what you have, it will be a lot quieter.

I have 18” wheels and I put on the new Cooper Discover Road+Trail At. They are an on road all-terrain and are more aggressive than the OEM Toyo Open Country that ships on the GX550 Overtrail. They seem to be pretty comparable to the regular, non-Lexus spec Open Country and are 3Peak Snow rated. For me, 95% of the time on pavement, when I’m not, I’m on stone, dirt, and grass with only short jaunts of anything more rocky or muddy, so perfect for mine and probably most other people’s use case. I’m really impressed with them. Only thing I can confidently say as a negative so far is that they collect stones really bad.

I've had my vehicle for a couple of weeks now, and I've managed to put 500 miles on it. I don't have a roof rack (it was supposed to come with one, but the port screwed up). I'm riding on the stock 18" Michelin tires.

The wind noise caught my attention at highway speeds (~ 70 mph). I've also noticed a few transmission quirks, but I've never driven a hybrid prior to this vehicle, so I'm willing to call that driver error.

In city driving the vehicle is very smooth. The acceleration is adequate, the seats are comfortable, and the cargo space behind the rear seats was big enough to fit our family's beach gear. However, on longer family road trips, I'd be more inclined to take the LX.

Back