Snorkel on the Land Cruiser?

Why is that? Assuming we can get a diff breather relocation kit - why couldn’t we get water up to the hood? Maybe we need a skirt on the front… I’ve been up to hood level a few times - it’s brief, but necessary for some crossings.
You have hybrid batteries sitting very low in the back. Once water touches them you will void the warranty. Water will find it's way once it comes in the cabin. Small water crossing would be OK. Not a big river.

Adding a snorkel for the US version of the 2024 LC would be for looks or really dusty environments only. The stock air intake sits at or slightly higher than Hybrid battery. So there would be some interesting fireworks long before the stock air inlet ingested water.

Without seeing the snorkel in person, it appears there isn't a filter at the top (can't tell from the pictures) so that would lead me to believe it's just to prevent water ingestion, which as mentioned above would be pointless on the stock US version of the 2024 LC. Without verifying there's not a high mounted air filter, It might help a small amount with dust as it raises the air entry point.

In the desert we had massive air/sand separators on the top of our snorkels and had to clean/empty them regularly.

I don't think anyone is arguing that a snorkel is for continuous driving in deep water. To me, where a standard snorkel really comes in handy is on the trail when you briefly find an unexpected low spot, or at a water crossing when you're nose down, first dropping in. As soon as you hit the river bed and level out, the front end points back level, but dropping in, that intake is one of the first things subject to get splashed after the bumper and headlight. Such instances are often enough to put water in a stock intake location, but an inexpensive snorkel can be all it takes to put the odds in your favor.

I don't think anyone is arguing that a snorkel is for continuous driving in deep water. To me, where a standard snorkel really comes in handy is on the trail when you briefly find an unexpected low spot, or at a water crossing when you're nose down, first dropping in. As soon as you hit the river bed and level out, the front end points back level, but dropping in, that intake is one of the first things subject to get splashed after the bumper and headlight. Such instances are often enough to put water in a stock intake location, but an inexpensive snorkel can be all it takes to put the odds in your favor.
Don't forget diff breathers just as important as snorkel if not more. Hot diff hitting the cold water will suck in water very quickly.

Don't forget diff breathers just as important as snorkel if not more. Hot diff hitting the cold water will suck in water very quickly.
100%. I had a buddy that learned about that the hard $$ way.

Does anyone know how Toyota has run breather lines from diff and trans? I can’t imagine they didn’t run lines higher

Does anyone know how Toyota has run breather lines from diff and trans? I can’t imagine they didn’t run lines higher
The rear diff is apparently the only one that needs a breather run higher.

You’re basing that on what info ? Where does vent line currently run or does it even have a vent hose

Pretty sure the rear diff only has a vent cap (OEM) vs a line to a higher point.

Last edited:
You’re basing that on what info ? Where does vent line currently run or does it even have a vent hose
basing it mostly on the comments of the Dissent Offroad build. He said that the rear diff breather was on top of the diff and it should be plumbed to the engine compartment with the ARB kit or similar

Just put in an ARB kit today for the rear diff. It’s on the right hand side of the diff and has a vent cap. Dissent said the front diff breather is placed pretty high so I haven’t tracked it down yet.
Where did you end up mounting the filter for the breather?

There’s a small gap behind the left hand fuse box. There’s a hole for an M8 bolt there but it didn’t fit through the ARB mount so I stuck it with 3M to the back of the fuse box. There’s a bigger empty space in front of it with M6 holes but I’m saving that space for other stuff. I ran the tubing on the right hand side underneath to avoid the exhaust heat and crossed it over under the hood, following the other wires across the engine.

I don’t see a kit for 2024 Land Cruiser on their site
There’s a small gap behind the left hand fuse box. There’s a hole for an M8 bolt there but it didn’t fit through the ARB mount so I stuck it with 3M to the back of the fuse box. There’s a bigger empty space in front of it with M6 holes but I’m saving that space for other stuff. I ran the tubing on the right hand side underneath to avoid the exhaust heat and crossed it over under the hood, following the other wires across the engine.
i dont see a kit for 2024 Land Cruiser on their website

I just used their standard breather kit. It’s on Amazon if you look it up. Should be about $82.

Back