Simple Question: Falken WP or KO3's for smoothest ride?

ChillLC

📛 Founding Member
Jun 21, 2024
Media
California
Getting new rubber on my rig.
Going with 265/70/18s.
Narrowed down to: Falken WP A/T4 - or - BF Goodrich KO3.
Asking only about smoothest ride on highways.

Have run the Falkens on my 4Runner and like them. Any reason to switch to KO3?
Thanks in advance for your humble opinions!

Last edited:
Are these noticeably more comfortable (and quiet as a perk) than toyos? Just figured since Lexus used Toyo they were prob pretty comfortable.

Going with 265/70/18s.
Narrowed down to: Falken WP A/T4 - or - Goodyear KO3.

Goodyear has a KO3?

Historically ran BFG because of availability through Costco. However, I am now running the Falken AT4W and have no complaints. Wet weather performance (PNW) is what prompted the switch. So far these feel quieter than my KO2s but that's also comparing a 3G Tacoma to the LC, so do with that what you will.

Can anyone chime in on the Nokian Outpost nAT tires as well? I've read a few reviews that say they are louder than the Mickey Thomson Baja Boss and few other options out there I'm considering but haven't seen any reviews really with them on the LC

Last edited:
The AT4W's are smooth on the highway. I've had them up to 80mph. Stable. No complaints. No wandering. No loud racket.

Thank you to those who chimed in.
Not overwhelmed by KO3 devotees... will be running the Falkens.
Cheers

I have the Falkens on my Tahoe. I used to have Defenders.

No doubt the Falkens are louder, but I expected that. They aren’t loud enough to be annoying and in a certain sense the additional tread feedback is reassuring. I think I’m a MPG or 2 down versus the Defenders on average.

I go back and forth between Denver and Vail multiple times monthly and in whatever weather. Falkens were good in the snow last winter, but then again the Defenders weren’t bad either.

Candidly, for an all-terrain tire I think the Falkens are great, yet Defenders are just really excellent tires for anyone who doesn’t really need an all-terrain tire. You have to think hard about how much you want the AT look and increased trail capability.

If I get a LC I will probably use Falkens on it.

Last edited:
Going with 265/70/18s.
Narrowed down to: Falken WP A/T4 - or - BF Goodrich KO3.

The Falken WildPeak A/T4W in 265/70R18 comes in both standard load and E load, the KO3 only comes in E load in that size. Standard load will likely ride a lot smoother. It's also 7 lbs lighter.

Can anyone chime in on the Nokian Outpost nAT tires as well? I've read a few reviews that say they are louder than the Mickey Thomson Baja Boss and few other options out there I'm considering but haven't seen any reviews really with them on the LC
Will let you know how the Nokians ride when I put them on next week. Got the 275/65/18 116T. Only 46lbs/tire I believe.

I put Falken Wildpeak AT4’s on almost immediately after taking possession of my LC (275/70r18, load range E). Returned recently from a 900 mile road trip to Montana and back, I’m able to report that they are smooth and quiet, handle well at interstate speeds up to 85 mph. As far as road noise, all I heard was the wind against the side view mirrors and roof rack.

I’ve been a Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT fan for years (have had them on 3 vehicles) but wanted to try something different on the new LC. Two thumbs up for the Falkens and looking forward to wet and white weather this winter to put them to a test.
IMG_7275.jpeg

I put Toyo Open Country A/T 3 on and they are pretty quiet with a smooth ride, especially compared to the Falken Wildpeak AT3 I had on my Jeep Gladiator.

I put Falken Wildpeak AT4’s on almost immediately after taking possession of my LC (275/70r18, load range E). Returned recently from a 900 mile road trip to Montana and back, I’m able to report that they are smooth and quiet, handle well at interstate speeds up to 85 mph. As far as road noise, all I heard was the wind against the side view mirrors and roof rack.

I’ve been a Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT fan for years (have had them on 3 vehicles) but wanted to try something different on the new LC. Two thumbs up for the Falkens and looking forward to wet and white weather this winter to put them to a test.
View attachment 8797
This. I also came from two sets of Cooper AT3s (both E), and they were a great all-around, all-terrain tire. Getting ready to sell my 4Runner when the LC comes in, and recently put Falken AT3Ws on it and have been impressed overall. What I was thrilled with is their performance in rain. Currently at Waterton Lakes NP after 8 days at Glacier NP towing a 3000# trailer, and got the opportunity to drive in a couple of absolute downpours. The Falkens performed a fair bit better than the Coopers, no hydroplaning whatsoever. Very impressed.

This. I also came from two sets of Cooper AT3s (both E), and they were a great all-around, all-terrain tire. Getting ready to sell my 4Runner when the LC comes in, and recently put Falken AT3Ws on it and have been impressed overall. What I was thrilled with is their performance in rain. Currently at Waterton Lakes NP after 8 days at Glacier NP towing a 3000# trailer, and got the opportunity to drive in a couple of absolute downpours. The Falkens performed a fair bit better than the Coopers, no hydroplaning whatsoever. Very impressed.
I agree the AT3s feel very well planted in rain. I’ve gotten stuck in a couple downpours lately around Floyd Hill on I-70; it’s under construction through there and there is no shoulder on a 6% grade. Not a spot where you want to hydroplane.

I think it's more a question of weight. I ran many sets of KO2s (C and E) on my 4Runner. They were great for everything but rain and mpgs. I just put AT4s (SL) on the LC. It basically feels like the stock street tire. What little bit of dirt I've hit so far has been no issue. No hit to mpgs either. I read the entire internet about tire loads and talked to Falken. I chose SL load. If I start getting flats, I'll go heavier. Until then I'm plenty happy.

I think it's more a question of weight. I ran many sets of KO2s (C and E) on my 4Runner. They were great for everything but rain and mpgs. I just put AT4s (SL) on the LC. It basically feels like the stock street tire. What little bit of dirt I've hit so far has been no issue. No hit to mpgs either. I read the entire internet about tire loads and talked to Falken. I chose SL load. If I start getting flats, I'll go heavier. Until then I'm plenty happy.
Pictures please? What size?

Back