Broken VW Owner

📛 Founding Member
Jun 5, 2024
Media
New England
Vehicles
Land Cruiser W/PP
WCSIB?

I have an LC in blue/grey with Premium Package sitting in the port on QC hold and have been patiently but I am getting nervous that an LC is just too much for me and my needs. I've been hemming and hawing the past couple weeks trying to think through if I really should get an LC and think its worth asking the crowd here for their thoughts. Some background:
  • Male 30 living with LT partner who has a Subaru Crosstrek
  • Greater Boston area
  • renter with garage with entrance height of 77.75" (scared it wont fit)
  • current whip: 2017 VW GTI Autobahn with performance Pkg with 63K miles, ive been the only owner (its not broken, at least not yet again, I am...)
  • Trade + money down = 15,000+15,000=$30K
  • Commute: 1-2 a week, 30 mins/17 miles each way, often do road trips to VT, NH, Cape Cod, ME
  • Outdoorsy: Hike, Ski, climb, swim, surf, camp, canoe
  • Caregiver for sick parent so need something reliable
What I am concerned about:
  • Size, what if it doesn't fit in the garage? What if landlord sees my car and jacks up my rent?
  • Environmental impact, driving around an On/Off-road SUV as a single adult w/ no dependents when New England doesn't have the anywhere near the same number or diversity of off-road trails as the western US. Especially when some crossovers are getting 30-40 MPG. I don't think im ready to go 100% electric tho. (this is not meant to be political, please take this as just my personal preference)
  • Expense, although i can comfortably afford the purchase price, taxes, insurance, fuel etc... that does not mean I should do it, especially when there are better value cars out there for me.
WHY LC?
  • Looking for larger, more practical, more comfortable vehicle than my GTI
  • Comfort, I am getting out of my GTI since it isnt practical for long trips, it is loud at speed, doesnt handle the BUMPY/Potholed roads well and i spend 2K every 1-2 years to replace my tires after a blowout, and not large enough to take occasional passengers (1-3) farther than a couple miles.
  • Latest tech. It has been helpful having relatively modern tech in my GTI like adaptive cruise so having even more tech on the LC is a plus to me.
  • Loved the 4runner, I drove one over 1K miles in a week driving out west around national parks, no offroading. but my god did i love that 4Runner, especially after the problems ive had with rental cars in the past.
Cars I've driven in past 5 years:
  • Subaru Crosstrek
  • 2024 Porsche Cayenne
  • 2008 Dodge Avenger rental.... #RentAWreck
  • 2018 4Runner Sr5 rental, beaten to shit with 65K miles
  • 2022 Cadillac XT5 Rental (returned and picked up 4runner since XT5 had been damaged by previous renter)
  • 2023 Audi Q3 rental (HATED the stereo and loud ride)
  • Tesla Model Y rental
  • 2017 Porsche Macan
  • 2024 Toyota GR86
  • 2018 Audi A4

Alternatives:
  • Rav4 Prime
  • Honda CRV
  • Crown or Crown Signia
  • BMW X3
  • Defender 90
  • Lexus RX/NX

Last edited:
IMHO the LC money and compromises with fuel economy and on road performance are not worth it if you do not use this vehicle off road at least occasionally. From the description of your lifestyle and previous vehicles, a full time 4wd with a stabilizer disco and a locking rear are not going to be needed to get you where you need to be. Might as well buy something cheaper and/or with better road manners.

To pick just one consideration of yours: these LC250s sit pretty high, so getting an elderly person in and out of the truck might be tough. My family are spry and even they have mentioned it.

I'd take a look at a 4-cyl Defender 90... I had the 6 cyl. 110 for 2.5 years and 30k miles with ZERO problems. Oil changes only. Great tech; safe; the length of a Toyota Yaris; air suspension = easy to get parent in/out; great performance on the highway (and off... after 11 classic Defenders, I took my 110 further into the trails than even a built Tdi); and with the 2023+ model, the rear seats fold flat for reasonable space. Not 'sleepably' flat like my 110, but darned handy for future purchases, dogs, etc.

I'd be doing the same if it didn't feel like I was reliving the 110... I want the LC for something different than what I've been used to.

To pick just one consideration of yours: these LC250s sit pretty high, so getting an elderly person in and out of the truck might be tough. My family are spry and even they have mentioned it.
Good point, they are younger but coordination is an issue so I will mull over it...

I'd take a look at a 4-cyl Defender 90... I had the 6 cyl. 110 for 2.5 years and 30k miles with ZERO problems. Oil changes only. Great tech; safe; the length of a Toyota Yaris; air suspension = easy to get parent in/out; great performance on the highway (and off... after 11 classic Defenders, I took my 110 further into the trails than even a built Tdi); and with the 2023+ model, the rear seats fold flat for reasonable space. Not 'sleepably' flat like my 110, but darned handy for future purchases, dogs, etc.

I'd be doing the same if it didn't feel like I was reliving the 110... I want the LC for something different than what I've been used to.
Doesn't the 90 start at $68K? I was looking forward to the defender when they were releasing it but the price seemed astronomical. I sat in one recently and wasn't really blown away but I have yet to drive one.

Starts at $56,900.00... the interior is fully functional without a lot of glitz. The two knobs, for instance, serve different functions depending on what is being asked: interior temp; some off road modes; etc. I'd say of the 75 cars I've owned, the 110 was in the top 5. The 200-series LC was not far behind (and still qualifies as the nicest "thing" I've ever owned). Mind you, I daily drove a 1970 Land Rover Series IIA for 9 years; currently near-daily a base 1983 Saab 900; and generally don't hold myself out as favoring the fancy stuff.

I'd definitely recommend a test drive. 7,700 lb towing capacity is nothing to sneeze at, either.

Starts at $56,900.00... the interior is fully functional without a lot of glitz. The two knobs, for instance, serve different functions depending on what is being asked: interior temp; some off road modes; etc. I'd say of the 75 cars I've owned, the 110 was in the top 5. The 200-series LC was not far behind (and still qualifies as the nicest "thing" I've ever owned). Mind you, I daily drove a 1970 Land Rover Series IIA for 9 years; currently near-daily a base 1983 Saab 900; and generally don't hold myself out as favoring the fancy stuff.

I'd definitely recommend a test drive. 7,700 lb towing capacity is nothing to sneeze at, either.
Have never inspected a 1958, but the reports say nearly all hard plastics. Personally, I would prefer the cloth seats, but the small display and hard plastics with be a turnoff. Have sat in a First Edition, and it was nice (for a utility vehicle), and presumably the LC trim will be comparable, and this is what we have ordered.

The fabric seats in the 1958 are pretty fantastic... drove one last week in Boston. Made me love the car. But, passed on the 1958 ONLY because of the advanced safety tech in the premium and FE models. If it weren't for the nightmare of trying to figure out wiring for ventilated seats, I'd offer the black leather ones in trade.

Have never inspected a 1958, but the reports say nearly all hard plastics. Personally, I would prefer the cloth seats, but the small display and hard plastics with be a turnoff. Have sat in a First Edition, and it was nice (for a utility vehicle), and presumably the LC trim will be comparable, and this is what we have ordered.
I've had my 1958 for almost two weeks now and I'm really happy with my decision (not just because most folks who ordered the higher trims are delayed because of the QC holds). The fabric seats are great and the plastic doesn't bother me at all. I'm coming from a 2013 Lexus GX and I thought I'd miss all the soft leather and general plushness, when, in reality, one of the reasons I never fell in love with the Lexus was because of the soft leather and wood trim, etc. It never felt like a 4X4 truck to me. My 1958 LC feels like a proper 4X4.

And the display screen only feels small if you're coming from something bigger (I was not). Personally, I think these screens are getting laughably big these days.

WCSIB?

I have an LC in blue/grey with Premium Package sitting in the port on QC hold and have been patiently but I am getting nervous that an LC is just too much for me and my needs. I've been hemming and hawing the past couple weeks trying to think through if I really should get an LC and think its worth asking the crowd here for their thoughts. Some background:
  • Greater Boston area
  • current whip: 2017 VW GTI Autobahn with performance Pkg with 63K miles, ive been the only owner (its not broken, at least not yet again, I am...)
  • Commute: 1-2 a week, 30 mins/17 miles each way, often do road trips to VT, NH, Cape Cod, ME
  • Size, what if it doesn't fit in the garage? What if landlord sees my car and jacks up my rent?
  • Environmental impact, driving around an On/Off-road SUV as a single adult w/ no dependents when New England doesn't have the anywhere near the same number or diversity of off-road trails as the western US. Especially when some crossovers are getting 30-40 MPG. I don't think im ready to go 100% electric tho. (this is not meant to be political, please take this as just my personal preference)
  • Expense, although i can comfortably afford the purchase price, taxes, insurance, fuel etc... that does not mean I should do it, especially when there are better value cars out there for me.
WHY LC?
  • Comfort, I am getting out of my GTI since it isnt practical for long trips, it is loud at speed, doesnt handle the BUMPY/Potholed roads well and i spend 2K every 1-2 years to replace my tires after a blowout, and not large enough to take occasional passengers (1-3) farther than a couple miles.
  • Latest tech. It has been helpful having relatively modern tech in my GTI like adaptive cruise so having even more tech on the LC is a plus to me.
  • Loved the 4runner, I drove one over 1K miles in a week driving out west around national parks, no offroading. but my god did i love that 4Runner, especially after the problems ive had with rental cars in the past.
  • Subaru Crosstrek
  • 2024 Porsche Cayenne
  • 2022 Cadillac XT5 Rental (returned and picked up 4runner since XT5 had been damaged by previous renter)
  • Tesla Model Y rental
  • 2017 Porsche Macan
  • 2024 Toyota GR86
  • 2018 Audi A4

Alternatives:
  • Rav4 Prime
  • Honda CRV
  • Crown or Crown Signia
  • BMW X3
  • Defender 90
  • Lexus RX/NX

The 2024 Land Cruiser 250 series is listed at 76.1” tall for the 1958 and 77.8” tall for a First Edition. The Land Cruiser LC trim is listed at 76.1” tall as well but the taller tires of the LC probably make that a typo, it will probably be taller than a 1958. If you have a roof rack you’ll end up not fitting, same for larger than stock tires. This would give me pause.

The theoretical issues you bring up are on you. I don’t live in an urban area with small streets, and crowded parking lots. I own my home, so I am not subject to the whims of a landlord.

My suggestion is keep driving your paid for VW. Put that $15K in your war chest, along with the $$$ you’d spend on a vehicle payment. Use that money once built up to buy a home, or relocate to an area where you can afford to buy a home. Car payments will keep you poor compared to where you could be if you put that money to work for you.

If you simply must have a different vehicle get something that costs no more than your trade in value plus your available cash. Then buy the most reliable and durable vehicle you can in that price range. Plan to drive this vehicle for a long long time. Doing so will allow you to focus back on your primary goal of affording a home.

If you liked that 2018 4Runner go find a used 5th Gen 4Runner. There is probably not a more reliable SUV on the planet aside from a 200 series Land Cruiser than a 5th Gen 4Runner. Now the 5th Gen is thirsty, evidently feeling the dinosaurs were very sinful and need to be punished in the fiery hell of internal combustion; the 4.0L V6 in the 5th Gen works very hard at punishing these dinosaurs. Plus the tech is very outdated, I drive a 17 year old truck; you’ll live without Apple CarPlay.

WCSIB?

• Greater Boston area
WHY LC?
  • Subaru Crosstrek
  • 2024 Porsche Cayenne
  • Tesla Model Y rental
  • 2017 Porsche Macan
  • 2024 Toyota GR86
  • 2018 Audi A4

Alternatives:
  • Rav4 Prime
  • Honda CRV
  • Crown or Crown Signia
  • BMW X3
  • Defender 90
  • Lexus RX/NX
It sounds like whatever you get, you need to get better (off road capable) tires. (What does a Crown look like with Baja Boss tires?)

A RAV4 Prime plug in hybrid is going to use basically no gas around town, and (if you get good off-road tires) will probably get you most places you want to go. Our other vehicle is a plug in hybrid with similar range and we average around 300mpg on a tank because of that. On the other hand, beyond being a plug in hybrid, functionally it would be pretty redundant compared to the Subaru Crosstrek.

The Land Cruiser will be larger, more capable off-road, and less fuel efficient. I think it kind of depends on how much you want something really off-road capable? The RAV4 (or the Subaru) will do fine on graded gravel roads and some fire roads. If you regularly see worse than that, maybe the LC? As someone pointed out, if you have elderly folds you need to transport -- when we have it on a trip my 80ish folks insist on riding in the back of my FJ, and they need a step stool and often a good bit of help to get in. (LC is probably easier than the back seat of the FJ, but you might still need a step stool!)

My wife and I have had a car plus an FJ for quite a while now, two vehicles with two different purposes. For over a decade now there's usually at most one day a week when we're both driving, and whoever is driving takes the smaller, more gas efficient car and the FJ gets driven about once a week and otherwise sits and waits for the road trips to remote places. I'm not sure if that kind of thing would apply to you, but it's a lot of why we have an FJ instead of a RAV4 Prime or a Subaru for one of our vehicles.

WCSIB?

• Greater Boston area
WHY LC?
  • Subaru Crosstrek
  • 2024 Porsche Cayenne
  • Tesla Model Y rental
  • 2017 Porsche Macan
  • 2024 Toyota GR86
  • 2018 Audi A4

Alternatives:
  • Rav4 Prime
  • Honda CRV
  • Crown or Crown Signia
  • BMW X3
  • Defender 90
  • Lexus RX/NX
To add: for height, going off the official Toyota number of 76.1" for the 1958, the mid trim with rails would be around 79" tall, the First Edition/optional rack more like 80" on the stock tires. I recall seeing a real world measurement that was just a little less than that? It's going to be close. My garage is just over 80" and I'm concerned about it fitting with upgraded tires. The 2025 4Runner is >5" shorter if you want to add another option. For winter driving I'd rather have full time 4WD though.

Edit: a couple real world measures of the FE put the height at about 77.75-78" stock. See: First Edition Roof Rack / RTT - Will it fit? Your LC/LC trim might have 1" clearance?

Last edited:
Seriously, all kinds of positive and negative advice in this post, take them with a grain of salt. Each and every issue can be fixed, worked around etc......... figure out what makes you happy and what you are willing to compromise on, make a decision and roll with it!

The 2024 Land Cruiser 250 series is listed at 76.1” tall for the 1958 and 77.8” tall for a First Edition. The Land Cruiser LC trim is listed at 76.1” tall as well but the taller tires of the LC probably make that a typo, it will probably be taller than a 1958. If you have a roof rack you’ll end up not fitting, same for larger than stock tires. This would give me pause.

The theoretical issues you bring up are on you. I don’t live in an urban area with small streets, and crowded parking lots. I own my home, so I am not subject to the whims of a landlord.

My suggestion is keep driving your paid for VW. Put that $15K in your war chest, along with the $$$ you’d spend on a vehicle payment. Use that money once built up to buy a home, or relocate to an area where you can afford to buy a home. Car payments will keep you poor compared to where you could be if you put that money to work for you.

If you simply must have a different vehicle get something that costs no more than your trade in value plus your available cash. Then buy the most reliable and durable vehicle you can in that price range. Plan to drive this vehicle for a long long time. Doing so will allow you to focus back on your primary goal of affording a home.

If you liked that 2018 4Runner go find a used 5th Gen 4Runner. There is probably not a more reliable SUV on the planet aside from a 200 series Land Cruiser than a 5th Gen 4Runner. Now the 5th Gen is thirsty, evidently feeling the dinosaurs were very sinful and need to be punished in the fiery hell of internal combustion; the 4.0L V6 in the 5th Gen works very hard at punishing these dinosaurs. Plus the tech is very outdated, I drive a 17 year old truck; you’ll live without Apple CarPlay.
The different tire diameter is a great catch and was something I had not considered as I was assuming the shark fin antenna was the tallest point on both models, and would be just as tall as the roof rails. I am even less confident it'll fit now that you bring that up. However, the lexus GX 550 OT is also listed at 76.18 (weird they go out another decimal place) so maybe the 1958 is off... Regardless you are right that there's a error on the website and Toyota/Lexus cannot be trusted blindly...

100% agree on the financial aspect, cars are rolling financial crises. I've worked extensively with my Financial Advisor and we both agree the car is within my means and will not limit me from getting a home soon.

Will test out another 4Runner.

The different tire diameter is a great catch and was something I had not considered as I was assuming the shark fin antenna was the tallest point on both models, and would be just as tall as the roof rails. I am even less confident it'll fit now that you bring that up. However, the lexus GX 550 OT is also listed at 76.18 (weird they go out another decimal place) so maybe the 1958 is off... Regardless you are right that there's a error on the website and Toyota/Lexus cannot be trusted blindly...

100% agree on the financial aspect, cars are rolling financial crises. I've worked extensively with my Financial Advisor and we both agree the car is within my means and will not limit me from getting a home soon.

Will test out another 4Runner.

I will also throw out another possible alternative that will be useful if you do find yourself a homeowner in the near future: buy a truck.

Homeowner chores are a thing. Picking up appliances and furniture, hauling yard waste, runs to the dump, etc. These tasks are made easier with a truck vs SUV. A Toyota Tacoma Limited iForceMax will get you into a midsize pickup with all the tech, full time 4X4 (same transfer case as the LC), and the same T24A-FTS turbo inline 4 with a hybrid system. Comes in at 74.6” tall, so it will fit in your garage handily. Mechanically it’s a 250 series Land Cruiser with a bed.

Seriously, all kinds of positive and negative advice in this post, take them with a grain of salt. Each and every issue can be fixed, worked around etc......... figure out what makes you happy and what you are willing to compromise on, make a decision and roll with it!

To add: for height, going off the official Toyota number of 76.1" for the 1958, the mid trim with rails would be around 79" tall, the First Edition/optional rack more like 80" on the stock tires. I recall seeing a real world measurement that was just a little less than that? It's going to be close. My garage is just over 80" and I'm concerned about it fitting with upgraded tires. The 2025 4Runner is >5" shorter if you want to add another option. For winter driving I'd rather have full time 4WD though.

Edit: a couple real world measures of the FE put the height at about 77.75-78" stock. See: First Edition Roof Rack / RTT - Will it fit? Your LC/LC trim might have 1" clearance?
An inch makes all the difference ;) Also the Lexus GX OT/OT+ is listed at 76.1 inches tall so maybe the 1958 is off?

Back