Rust on new Land Cruiser

Ed1

📛 Founding Member
Apr 29, 2024
Media
Northeast US
I noticed a thread on the GX550 forum about rust forming on the lower rivet of the fuel filler door hinge. I checked my Land Cruiser FE and see rust in the same place. It is very tiny, but still an obvious issue…….

If other forum users confirm that this is happening on brand new vehicles, we should report it to our dealer service departments at the next visit.

Maybe the wrong metal was used for that rivet?? Or it should have been painted??

Last edited:
Could you use naval jelly on it to remove the rust on like a Q Tip and then primer or paint it?

Not mine. Wierd

Attachments

• IMG_5894.jpeg
    IMG_5894.jpeg
    458.4 KB · Views: 235
Could you use naval jelly on it to remove the rust on like a Q Tip and then primer or paint it?
Yes you could. Just like stainless shafts on your golf clubs. I always pick up surface rust when traveling to a significantly more humid climate and then back to dryer conditions. It's rust, however, just surface rust which does not impact the strength at all.

I use "EvapOrust" a dab with a Q-Tip, then I'd use touchup paint (may not be avail yet). Or Clear fingernail polish. Need to get it neutralized and sealed soon as it's in an area that doesn't get a lot of air flow and moisture may sit for awhile.

I use "EvapOrust" a dab with a Q-Tip, then I'd use touchup paint (may not be avail yet). Or Clear fingernail polish. Need to get it neutralized and sealed soon as it's in an area that doesn't get a lot of air flow and moisture may sit for awhile.
Well, your method is far more pedestrian than mine but then again, what is the first thing EOD does when they are called to a scene? They set up a Bar and start drinking, and with that job, I don’t blame them.😉🫡

Well, your method is far more pedestrian than mine but then again, what is the first thing EOD does when they are called to a scene? They set up a Bar and start drinking, and with that job, I don’t blame them.😉🫡
I keep EvapOrust in my shop, Steel flash rusts pretty fast around here. That stuff is amazing.

Is it really rust?
I have the same appearance on my FE LC and I live in dry Southern California. Also, strange that it is only the bottom connection on mine and the one from the Lexus forum.

Rust.JPG

I noticed a thread on the GX550 forum about rust forming on the lower rivet of the fuel filler door hinge. I checked my Land Cruiser FE and see rust in the same place. It is very tiny, but still an obvious issue…….

If other forum users confirm that this is happening on brand new vehicles, we should report it to our dealer service departments at the next visit.

Maybe the wrong metal was used for that rivet?? Or it should have been painted??
that looks terrible on a brand new VERY expensive vehicle.. totally unacceptable

It's steel, steel rusts. As do many other fasteners located throughout a new vehicle. It appears to be the stem of a rivet. I wouldn't worry too much about the fastener failing, I'm more worried the rust would leach down into that body seam and discolor the paint. One could replace it with a stainless steel stemmed fastener or neutralize the rust and seal it with wax, grease or paint.

(edit) My best guess as to why the lower one shows rust and the top one doesn't........ gravity! As water sheds off the exterior body panel it naturally flows downward and the hinge bracket acts as a funnel, channeling the water over the lower rivet.

Thanks to the OP for bringing it to our attention, sealing those rivets will probably be the first thing I do after it's parked in my driveway.

Last edited:
I appreciate this thread. Thanks OP. I'll just apply a little Surface Shield to the exposed metal and call it a day.

Checked mine last night and sure enough it was there. Interestingly the top one appears to have rust but the bottom looks just fine. For what it's worth, vehicle is located in Portland, OR and parked 70% garage / 30% outside overnight.
IMG_3827.JPG
IMG_3828.JPG

@EOD Guy — thanks for the Evapo-Rust tip! The gel worked great. Some before and after pics (Meteor Shower touch up paint):

IMG_9785.jpeg

IMG_9799.jpeg

Back