Replacement windshield, new tires, PPF

FoxCreek

📛 Founding Member
Aug 28, 2024
Out West
Vehicles
TLC 250 FE
I had to replace the windshield after two small rock strikes that occurred on highways in July and August. The first strike was a small "star", lower center, and I thought about living with it, but the second strike was toward the top of the windshield and soon "ran" in an up/down fashion that went down towards center and up to the edge of the glass. I called my insurer and learned that I have a "zero deductible glass" clause, and they sub out management of this process to Safelite, who came out to repair or replace the windshield. Turned out the damage was unrepairable because it went to the edge of the glass, and Safelite didn't have the replacement glass, so they told me to work with a Toyota dealer saying my insurer would pay, etc. Returned to San Francisco Toyota where I purchased the car. They took good care of me, had the OE glass in one day, repair completed the next. Parts: $1085.03. Labor: $1690. Tax: $93.58. Total $2,868.61! Three page diagnostic report - there is a lot to reconnect and reconfigure when the glass gets replaced. HUD looks great so far. Glad I have zero deductible glass clause on auto policy with high general deductible.

While I was in for the new windshield, I had my service advisor, Anthony, who is excellent, arrange for a new set of Toyo Open Country A/T III SL tires in the OE size of 265/70R18. This after a lot of scrutinizing @Markarian421 's epic tire spreadsheet and reading/watching a ton of tire reviews. The Toyos look nice, and I'm looking forward to getting out onto some dirt in the next few weeks. Also, the dealer's price to me on the 5 Toyos was $1257.90, which seemed competitive with online stores. Mounting and alignment was $319.95.

In May, I had the car protected with Ceramic Pro Kavaca PPF (full front, sides) at California Detailing in San Francisco. I think they did a really nice job. Jim (owner), Carlos (manager) and Jeremy (installer) are a great team. The PPF is freeing me up to not worry about going further afield, incur bush and branch drag, etc.

Last edited:
Back