Rear Seat Alert

DaveB

📛 Founding Member
Jun 9, 2024
Los Angeles
Vehicles
Land Cruiser
Anyone else repeatedly getting a rear seat alert on the Toyota app? I have nothing on the rear seats, but on an at least daily basis get an rear seat alert message on my app.

If you open the rear doors on your drive, it will ping you to remind you to check the rear seat for children. On my GR Corolla, you can turn this reminder off in the vehicle gage cluster and that should carry over to the app.

FWIW, this just happened less than a month ago. My friend's husband worked with the dad in the story. By all accounts a caring father and good family. Was stressed at work and made a mistake. Truly tragic stuff. If these annoying reminders save one family from that, it's worth it.

It is possible to disable that alert, we do not have kids, pets or any living thing to worry about leaving in the rear seat. It is easy to disable or enable if the situation changes. See page 116 of the owners manual. I have not been receiving any alerts on the app, so I don't know it it disables that as well.

that warning is shown any time a rear door is open within 10 minutes of starting the car. I disabled the notifications for this (and most of the others) in my toyota app since it was so annoying (profile -> account -> notification settings)

from page 133 in the manual
Rear seat reminder function
As the first reminder so as not to forget luggage, etc. in the rear seat, when the power switch is turned off after any of the following conditions are met, a buzzer will sound and a message will be displayed on the multi-information display for approximately 6 seconds.
Also, as the second reminder, when the doors are locked, a buzzer will sound and the emergency flashers will flash for a few seconds, and a message will be displayed on the multi-information display.

●The hybrid system is started within approximately 10 minutes after opening and closing a rear door.
●A rear door has been opened and closed after the hybrid system was started.

The second reminder will not be activated if a rear door was opened before the doors are locked.

However, if a rear door is opened and then closed within approximately 2 seconds, the rear seat reminder function may not operate.

The rear seat reminder function determines that luggage, etc. has been placed in a rear seat based on opening and closing of a rear door. Therefore, depending on the situation, the rear seat reminder function may not operate and you may still forget luggage, etc. in the rear seat, or it may operate unnecessarily.

Back