Probably a dumb question... do you swap out the spare too?

ChillLC

๐Ÿ“› Founding Member
Jun 21, 2024
Media
California
I have the 20's that are forced on most every premium package around here. I want move to 18" rims, either the stock FE rim or another rim I can find with a sizable offset (not a big poke fan). So will probably run 265 or 275 70/18's on a rim with at least +40 offset. The rig came equipped with a full size spare on the stock 20" rim. The 60R20's and the 70R18's have very nearly the same diameter. Any reason to buy five new rims/tires ? Or do I just keep the original spare and buy four? (Spare will only be used in emergencies and not for long distances).Thx

Since it's sold with a matched spare, it would probably eventually be advantageous on the resale market to have a matched spare.

I was in the same boat as you: wanted a +35 to 40 offset for 17" or 18" wheels and wasn't thrilled with the known choices. I decided to get new tires for the 20"s in the meantime. When I do go 18, I'll go for a package of 4 with a similar overall size, keep all 5 factory 20s, and use one of the 20"s as the spare. If/when I sell it, It'll be listed with the 5 factory wheels.

I will have to strongly disagree with you on that! while I agree a majority of people don't ask dumb questions, there are a special few out there that are as sharp as a bag of bowling balls!
Respect for all...

This discussion really should not be focused on rim size, but rather tire diameter.

I have also been considering not buying a spare even though I'm stepping up in tire diameter. I actually measured my 20" tires and they are 32.88" diameter (200 miles on them). I'm planning to put 35x12.5x18 on and their advertised diameter is 34.5". I'm figuring that for only 1.62" difference in diameter (0.81 inches radius) it will not hurt anything to run the spare to get back to safety. In the event of a small puncture flat, I always carry a plug kit and side wall patch. If that doesn't work and I need to put the spare on, I'll always put it on the front. It shouldn't be a problem for a short term solution.

my 2 cents.

Last edited:
So I wanted a premium package with the 18" wheels + Michelin tires, which is difficult, but not impossible to locate in the Southeast US. Right now there are like 2 of them available in 250 miles. We drove from Charlotte NC to South Georgia for ours.

There are sites that you can enter the two tire sizes and get what the actual difference in circumference would be. Being a former Subaru owner, their AWD were pretty picky when the diameter vary by more than a few mm. Toyota being 4wd (though full time) I think it is less important when you have a flat.

Personally, I plan to put the spare in the standard tire rotation schedule, so that would kind of require 5 all the same.

The Tacoma TRD hoop is pretty sharp and hits around your offset requirement. Iโ€™ve always subscribed to matching the spare. And anytime iโ€™ve had a tire issue, on any of my sleds, i was glad to be a matching spare guy. So i never even question it anymore.

Personally I will definitely buy a 5th wheel/tire set. Waiting for some 18โ€ wheels with better offset as mentioned before.

On a side note i reached out to method asking them if they had plans for more 18โ€™s with a high offset and they said no because there isnt any demand. I sent them this forum and said you have a whole group of new owners who would be interestedโ€ฆ so email the method folks if you are interested

Last edited:
Personally I will definitely buy a 5th wheel/tire set. Waiting for some 18โ€ wheels with better offset as mentioned before.

On a side note i reached out to method asking them if they had plans for more 18โ€™s with a high offset and they said no because there isnt any demand. I sent them this forum and said you have a whole group of new owners who would be interestedโ€ฆ so email the method folks if you are interested
Too late I just rewarded them by purchasing 5 of their 17s with favorable offset :whistle:

What brand rims in 18โ€™s is everyone looking atโ€ฆtrying to decide on which brand to get for a traildustโ€ฆwhat colorโ€ฆIโ€™m thinking black..

Your decision, but no advantage to buying a spare if you're not planning on a 5 way tire rotation.
I asked my dealer if the 5,000 mile tire rotation included the spare tire. They said no. They only do a four tire rotation.. ๐Ÿ˜ฌ

I asked my dealer if the 5,000 mile tire rotation included the spare tire. They said no. They only do a four tire rotation.. ๐Ÿ˜ฌ

I figure if you take the spare out and put it in the trunk ready to go, give them a print out of the rotation you want, and say "just put the newly rotated spare in the trunk" it would be weird for them to not do it. Having TPMS already active in the spare is super helpful here too.

I figure if you take the spare out and put it in the trunk ready to go, give them a print out of the rotation you want, and say "just put the newly rotated spare in the trunk" it would be weird for them to not do it. Having TPMS already active in the spare is super helpful here too.
With my FJ's I always specifically ask and print out the rotation pattern. With the land cruiser, putting the spare in the trunk might be a good addition.

Sullivan tire here charges 25 bucks for a tire rotation. If the dealers arenโ€™t willing to do it then Iโ€™m sure a tire shop does it for a few bucks more and a tip.

Interesting thread. Iโ€™m going for K03โ€™s soon, have 18โ€™s, no plan on buying five. Rotation is good. Regardless, check the spareโ€™s pressure. Recently had a blowout (Screw) on sidewall on K02โ€™s on my Titan. Pressure in spare was 4 lbs. Shame on me, lucky I have AAA.

Back