Phone no longer connecting

RTRinKY

📛 Founding Member
Jun 20, 2024
Media
KY
Vehicles
Toyota 4Runner
Not sure if I did something different but am now unable to connect my iphone to my Land Cruiser. It says the phone is connected and my bluetooth is connected but I can't pull up phone contacts now, can't pull up waze etc. I might have changed the carplay sync on the app but tried to correct this.

Have turned phone on and off and tried every setting button I can find.

Anyone have similar issues/thoughts?

Thanks

Wireless carplay can be finicky at times. Wired is a lot more reliable, so it is worth keeping a short USB-C cable handy. I find that when wireless is not working, it sorts it self out after I plug in for a drive and then the next time I get in, wireless seems to Just Work™️ again.

Something similar happened to me this morning; when I tried to go from the Toyota map to CarPlay the screen went black and unresponsive. Holding the power/volume button down for ten seconds causes the infotainment system to reboot. After that all was well again.

I called Toyota Brand Engagement to get help downloading my digital key, and brought this issue up to them.

According to the representative, Toyota is aware of the CarPlay issue, and they are working on a fix that keeps it on permanently.

FWIW, I have the same issue happening with my Lexus. I think it started happening after an OTA update.

I called Toyota Brand Engagement to get help downloading my digital key, and brought this issue up to them.

According to the representative, Toyota is aware of the CarPlay issue, and they are working on a fix that keeps it on permanently.

FWIW, I have the same issue happening with my Lexus. I think it started happening after an OTA update.
Super helpful. Thanks. Still can’t get the phone to connect. Random mess! Too much tech gets too glitchy. Same thing happens on my boat.

I am always having to reconnect my wireless carplay. Sometimes it connects automatically sometimes it doesn't. It could be worse.

Make sure WiFi is on and you are connected to your LC’s network (I believe the network name is Smartphone something or other). CarPlay has to be connected via WiFI…

I am always having to reconnect my wireless carplay. Sometimes it connects automatically sometimes it doesn't. It could be worse.
That's been my experience with both vehicles of late. I'm also experiencing issues with the memory settings.

Last edited:
The wireless apple carplay connection is not reliable, it only connects about 50 % of the time at startup and then just drops randomly. It’s 100% the Toyota. Have used wireless carplay on rented Porsche, jeep etc. with no issues. So frustrating.

Attachments

• IMG_9426.jpeg
    IMG_9426.jpeg
    215.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_9428.jpeg
    IMG_9428.jpeg
    219.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_9424.jpeg
    IMG_9424.jpeg
    283 KB · Views: 28
Having the same issue, as mentioned above, I went into the Infotainment screen and clicked the carplay and it seems to have fixed it, we'll see. I do hope it's a software issue and can be corrected with an OTA update.

How do you “reconnect it” is that on your phone blue tooth or in the phone settings of the Toyota multimedia ?

Having the same issue, as mentioned above, I went into the Infotainment screen and clicked the carplay and it seems to have fixed it, we'll see. I do hope it's a software issue and can be corrected with an OTA update.

Can you elaborate on What you did here, did you just enable CarPlay on the connected wireless device? Often when I think it has failed to connect, my phone shows it connected but I go to that menu that allows you to enable device as either phone, media player or airplay and all have been disabled (you can only pick either car play or the other two) and it often won’t allow me to enable car play. Sometimes it allows me to enable car play but most often not and always allows me to enable phone and media player. . Usually if have to forget the phone a reconnect it. Then a few days later it will unenable car play all by itself. So frustrating.

Last edited:
Can you elaborate o. What you did here, did you just enable CarPlay on the connected wireless device? Often when I think it failed to connect my phone shows it connected but I go to that menu that allows you to enable device as phone, media player or airplay and all have been disabled (you can only pick either car play or the other two). Sometimes it allows me to enable car play but most often not and always allows me to enable phone and media player. . Usually if have to forget the phone a reconnect it. Then a few days later it will unenable car play all by itself. So frustrating.
Exactly that.

Something similar happened to me this morning; when I tried to go from the Toyota map to CarPlay the screen went black and unresponsive. Holding the power/volume button down for ten seconds causes the infotainment system to reboot. After that all was well again.
This is what my my brothers and my 2015 Tundras would do circa 2018 with some update Toyota pushed out. It would just crash to black when you would try to do something. Even in middle of a call. Mine was under warranty and they were able to reflash the firmware and fix it. They told him he was out of warranty and you have to purchase a new head unit for like $1,500. His still does it to this day.

I was having the same issue for the first couple months. No more issues, it connects every time.

I have this issue from time to time. Sometimes it's my phone and rebooting it fixes the problem. Most times it's the LC. If you hold down the volume knob for a few seconds you can reboot the infotainment system. It will reconnect after that.

Back