Only getting 17mpg

Based on the comments in this forum, this seems to be the math...
FE Style roof rack = -4 MPG
BFG All Terrain Tires = -2 MPG

Based on that math, if you can get 21 MPG on a LC LC, you add the FE roof rack that drops to 17 MPG. Add BFG KO2 AT Tires and it drops again to 15 MPG.

Anybody with a FE getting more than 17 MPG?
I have an fe with continental at's. Here is my milage at slightly over 2k now

Screenshot_20241012_200733_Excel.jpg

I had the dealer put on BFG KO2's before I picked up my Land Cruiser FE. They are the same size as the stock (265 70 R18) but I am only getting 17mpg. I have around 2500 miles now and it has not changed. Any one else having the same issue?
Yes, same with me. I reset the trip meter mpg fuel gauge at every fill. 1500 miles and averaging 17 mpg or less. I haven't been on any road trips yet so I can't address highway mileage. Additionally, I keep the LC in Eco mode. The mileage is about 40% less than the advertised MPG for combined city/highway driving. Not thrilled at all about this.

Last edited:
I have an LCLC with stock wheels and tires. This tank (91 octane) has been all city driving, which includes about 50% 65 mph highway, all in "Normal" mode. I'm getting 19.9, down from the 23.3 I consistently get on jaunts up to the mountains in Eco mode.

You make a solid point about ethanol in the fuel. Most northern states add 10%.

Using that information, here's the revised formula...
Advertised MPG = 23 MPG Combined
10% Ethanol fuel = -2 MPG = 21 MPG Combined
FE Style roof rack = -4 MPG = 17 MPG Combined
BFG All Terrain Tires = -2 MPG = 15 MPG Combined

Go with pure gasoline (If your state sells it) and you'll be closer to the advertised fuel economy.

@EOD Guy Does your state sell Ethanol free gasoline? That could account for you averaging 18-20 MPG.
Wonder If thats true. id remove my FE roof rack. Probably wont ever use it anyway.

That's crazy low. I'm at 25.5 mpg in ECO mode with 87 gas. I love how often mine switches into battery power on my commute and my running around town.
No issues with the 87 gas? I know the octane conversation is an entirely different thread, but I wonder how your personal experience has been with it?

You’re probably right. I could have maybe accepted the downgrade in highway passing power from my current 1/2 ton pickup if the LC actually achieved 25 MPG in the highway but no one seems to get close that. So hard pass from me unless Toyota gives it a real engine. If fuel economy is going to suck give me a larger fuel tank and some damned power.
Like no Land Cruiser has ever had. I’ve owned 40s, 60s, 62s and 80s none have been fast or gotten good gas mileage. I sold a supercharged ‘19 4runner when I bought the FE it was faster and got 13mpg but provided 244k trouble free miles. Hopefully the FE will provide similar. Buy what you like but if speed and mpg is your thing a LC likely isn’t your car. PS I’d seriously look into the engine in the Lexus before buying.
Best

They do but you have to hunt for it, I don't. I also run 87 on a reg basis, I fill up with 91 with traveling in the mountains of TN, KY just for the extra power.

There’s an app for that.. but it doesn’t show up in the App Store right now, for some reason. They also have a web site,
Pure-gas.org - ethanol-free gasoline in the U.S. and Canada. The website is easy to use on my iPad (5G cellular plan) when traveling..

The stations that I find without using the app, are usually out in the country, close to lakes and navigable waterways, frequented by fishermen. Boaters in the know, usually try and avoid E10, due to engine problems caused by phase separation.

Attachments

• IMG_6918.jpeg
    IMG_6918.jpeg
    68.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Based on the comments in this forum, this seems to be the math...
FE Style roof rack = -4 MPG
BFG All Terrain Tires = -2 MPG

Based on that math, if you can get 21 MPG on a LC LC, you add the FE roof rack that drops to 17 MPG. Add BFG KO2 AT Tires and it drops again to 15 MPG.

Anybody with a FE getting more than 17 MPG?
Do you really think that the FE roof rack costs us 4 MPG? I am getting 24+ MPG (average since new), and more on the rural highways in my FE on the OEM Michelins.

Last edited:
Most northern states add 10%.
E10 has been mandated nationwide by federal law since 2008. My ‘06 Avalanche routinely got 21-21.5 mpg on the interstates at 70mph, before the mandate went into effect. The very first tank of the E10 fuel dropped me down to 19-19.5 mpg.

Stations selling E0 fuel are few and far between. The website puregas.org is your best bet to find it.

Family of 4 on a road trip with a fully loaded rear cargo, roof rack + full Pelican box, on 33s, and a preload spacer lift got 17.5mpg on eco mode. Went off gps miles (OnX) and calculated gas consumed.
Not bad for a boxy 4x4 imo. The GX550 comes ep rated for 18mpg. Imagine if it had the same load…mpgs would be down to 12-14.

Do you really think that the FE roof rack costs us 4 MPG? I am getting 24+ MPG (average since new), and more on the rural highways in my FE on the OEM Michelins.
I had the same question. 4 mpg seems like a huge negative impact to gas mileage. That being said, I found several articles on the web that gave examples of roof racks / crossbars having a similar negative impact. As an example, this article from Car & Driver noted a decrease in 3 mpg (at 75 mph) on a Kia Carnival that they associated with a couple of crossbars (not even a full rack). When they removed said crossbars, the mpg increased from 25mpg to 28mpg. Wow!

I just did a road trip and got 21.9 mpg hand calculated. I highly doubt if I take my roof rack off I'm getting 26mpg.

220 mile road trip over the weekend with some mountain travel but on entirely 2-lane highway (55-70mph). Averaged 22mpg, and that was absolutely hypermiling the whole time. No bikes, no cargo box. LCLC with Crossbars + AT4W SL tires. 91 premium fuel. Nice fall temps 55-70F. Waxing gibbous moon. Jupiter in retrograde. I had soft boiled eggs for breakfast.

Back