Not getting the right mileage per gallon

cap2023

📛 Founding Member
Aug 16, 2024
Florida
Vehicles
2024 Land Cruiser
Just got the 2024 Land Cruiser came from a 2014 jeep wrangler, I am happy with this new vehicle but I am only getting 17.6 miles per gallo when it is supposed to be 25 any ideas …
That’s even on economy mode with premium gas

I’ve put 1700 miles in mine so far and I average 16.7 mpg. Love my vehicle but smaller gas tank and mpg sucks

Averaged 19mpg when towing a UHaul trailer (approx 2000lbs) for 400 miles. And then averaged 25.5 driving back w/o the trailer.

Around town driving will vary greatly. Try to minimize use of the turbo. You have a boost gauge for the turbo. Keep an eye on it if you want to improve mileage.

Averaged 19mpg when towing a UHaul trailer (approx 2000lbs) for 400 miles. And then averaged 25.5 driving back w/o the trailer.

Around town driving will vary greatly. Try to minimize use of the turbo. You have a boost gauge for the turbo. Keep an eye on it if you want to improve mileage.
This thread has me really concerned about getting a LC. You seem to be the only person who’s getting the advertised MPG. Are you able to get the advertised 23ish MPG on a regular basis?

I’m shy of 400 miles so far on mine and I’m between 17 and 19.5 mpg. I can hit 20 - 21 when doing short trips around town. I read in other posts that once your past the “break in” phase, it gets better. I got a 140 mile one-way trip coming up in a couple of weeks. Hopefully I’ll be in the 19+ range.

This thread has me really concerned about getting a LC. You seem to be the only person who’s getting the advertised MPG. Are you able to get the advertised 23ish MPG on a regular basis?
There’s a nice long thread with plenty of other folks reporting the same. According to the professional statisticians of LCF, your experience is in the minority of the reporting data points

As noted above, you should refer to the other thread.
The city (and thus the combined too) EPA mark is harder to achieve. I’ve seen averages of 21-22 in town, but also 16-17. It really depends on the exact nature of the “city” driving and thus how much you’re able to avoid using the turbo (which increases fuel consumption).

ECO mode, premium 91+ gas, and reset trip computer.
The trip computer resets everytime you start the vehicle . I’ve put nothing but premium in tank . I will say I’ve been driving in normal mode since I have had it . I think I’ll try ECO mode starting today and see what I get for next 1000 miles . I’ll replay back once that’s done for feedback

I've been between 23.1-24.4 MPG since day one. 50/50 city highway with a stock 1958 (1850 miles)
Those are my numbers exactly, now at 2,300 miles. I drive an LCLC, use premium fuel, have my tires at 35 psi and use eco mode. Most of my miles are at 55 - 60 mph in the mountains of Colorado. I believe 55 - 65 mph is the LC's mileage "happy zone." It's fast enough to get over rolling resistance and slow enough to not encounter too much wind resistence.

The trip computer resets everytime you start the vehicle . I’ve put nothing but premium in tank . I will say I’ve been driving in normal mode since I have had it . I think I’ll try ECO mode starting today and see what I get for next 1000 miles . I’ll replay back once that’s done for feedback
You need to go into the menu settings, click the car icon and clear data. Mine had data from before I took delivery. Not sure it will matter but worth a shot!

Attachments

• IMG_7616.jpeg
    IMG_7616.jpeg
    124.2 KB · Views: 31
Just got the 2024 Land Cruiser came from a 2014 jeep wrangler, I am happy with this new vehicle but I am only getting 17.6 miles per gallo when it is supposed to be 25 any ideas …
I’m beginning to wonder if the mpg computer calculations are incorrect. Before computers we use to calculate mpg like this. Fill up fuel tank, this is a must. You won’t get accurate calculations if you put in $20 and call it full. Immediately after filling fuel tank, reset tripometer. Drive like you normally do, when you’re down to 1/4 tank or less and believe it is time to refuel, find a gas station and refuel. Fill the gas tank again, you must fill it to get a somewhat accurate calculation. Take a look at the pump to see how many gallons it took to fill up the tank. For an example let’s say it took 10 gallons. Enter your vehicle and find the tripometer that you originally reset the last time you fueled the vehicle. Check the mileage, for an example let’s say it was 200 miles. You now take the 200 mile reading and divide that number by the 10 gallons of fuel it took you to fill the tank and travel 200 miles. That’s 200 divided by 10 which would equal 20 if my calculations are correct. 20 would be the mpg. If you’ve done this a couple times with a stock vehicle not towing anything and driving normally and are still getting 16 mpg, you may want to consider contacting your dealer or Toyota. Now if you’ve put 285 mud terrain tires and have a tent on your roof, don’t complain.

There is a YouTube video by The Car Care Nut, posted in several locations on this forum, that explains how to drive your hybrid Toyota vehicle to get better fuel economy. I am too tired to look for it, and link it here.

Note that within My Settings in the multi-information display, you can change the type of fuel economy average that is displayed. I think there are 3 choices: average since last stop (ie a trip average), average since last fillup (ie a tank average), and average since the user last manually reset the calculation.

I’ve been using the tank average. Note that it (along with the range) will automatically reset as you're driving away from the pump. I tested it by comparing to a manual calculation and found it to be sufficiently accurate.

Note that within My Settings in the multi-information display, you can change the type of fuel economy average that is displayed. I think there are 3 choices: average since last stop (ie a trip average), average since last fillup (ie a tank average), and average since the user last manually reset the calculation.

I’ve been using the tank average. Note that it (along with the range) will automatically reset as you're driving away from the pump. I tested it by comparing to a manual calculation and found it to be sufficiently accurate.
I believe this is only for 1958, for some reason, LC and FE only have trip average and average since reset. I find the tank average to be the most useful one, so it is a shame that it is not available for LC and FE trims.

Check page 109 of the manual. It lists it as an option for the larger display. Interestingly, the manual doesn’t reference the tank average option on page 98 for the smaller display, but I’m using it on my 1958.

That said, it would be nice to learn that the 1958 has sole claim to a feature! ;)

Back