NHTSA report a problem

KaleighAK

đź“› Founding Member
Aug 12, 2024
Media
Eagle River, Alaska
Vehicles
2024 Land Cruiser
Has anyone thought about making a complaint about the brakes with the NHTSA? Could the brakes become a safety issue? Do we know enough about the problem to determine if it will become a safety problem?

The brakes on my 5G 4Runner would squeak the first roll-out from the garage many a morning, especially after having gotten wet. It would never happen again after that, and I never had any issues with the brakes. I've noticed the LC dripping water (presumably) from the air conditioner(s) in unusual places (right underneath the backside of the front driver-side tire), so perhaps that bit of moisture is enough to precipitate the squeak.

If anyone is having actual problems with their brakes, of course, that is serious. But, anecdotally speaking, I have not seen a single report of the brakes not working properly, just the admittedly annoying squeak, mostly once per day, in the morning.

Has anyone thought about making a complaint about the brakes with the NHTSA? Could the brakes become a safety issue? Do we know enough about the problem to determine if it will become a safety problem?

I’d be more likely to pursue that for the Tacoma Trannies, and soon ours, crapping the bed, than noisy brakes.

The brakes on my 5G 4Runner would squeak the first roll-out from the garage many a morning, especially after having gotten wet. It would never happen again after that, and I never had any issues with the brakes. I've noticed the LC dripping water (presumably) from the air conditioner(s) in unusual places (right underneath the backside of the front driver-side tire), so perhaps that bit of moisture is enough to precipitate the squeak.

If anyone is having actual problems with their brakes, of course, that is serious. But, anecdotally speaking, I have not seen a single report of the brakes not working properly, just the admittedly annoying squeak, mostly once per day, in the morning.
My brand-new LC squeaks, not just on first roll out, but almost EVERY time it’s in reverse.

If you’ve missed the threads on how different the braking is on the new LC (which could cause some of us new to a hybrid to question the connection), go and check them out.

My question was about this annoyance developing into a safety issue. I’m not an expert, but some here are, and maybe they will chime in with their thoughts as well.

My brand-new LC squeaks, not just on first roll out, but almost EVERY time it’s in reverse.

If you’ve missed the threads on how different the braking is on the new LC (which could cause some of us new to a hybrid to question the connection), go and check them out.

My question was about this annoyance developing into a safety issue. I’m not an expert, but some here are, and maybe they will chime in with their thoughts as well.
Also having a RAV4 Prime in the house, I was expecting the LC brake feel to be more similar to it, i.e. occasionally spongy, esp. at very low speeds. The LC's brakes feel pretty normal to me (coming from a 4R).

When I hit 2k miles and get the squeak, I'll be sure to report back. ;)

I've noticed the LC dripping water (presumably) from the air conditioner(s) in unusual places (right underneath the backside of the front driver-side tire), so perhaps that bit of moisture is enough to precipitate the squeak.

This is a super interesting theory that might align with my experience.

I had the squeek for maybe one week back in late July-ish. I only noticed it happening consistently in one particular parking lot and it was extremely hot out so AC was blowing hard. I haven't been in that parking lot since my kid moved schools and I have not heard the squeek since. Maybe there is an angle where condensation will drip on a brake pad and maybe, the people who hear it all the time are parking at that angle regularly? 🤔

Personally, as a mountain biker, squeeky brakes don't alarm me. It's a comforting reminder that they are still there and they are still working.

My 2008 FJ cruiser squealed just like my LC for the last 16 yrs in reverse even through 2 sets of pads, honestly just was of the opinion its just a toyota thing.

Back