New to Land Cruiser - braking is "interesting"

cyclesurfer

đź“› Founding Member
Aug 31, 2024
Media
San Antonio, TX
Vehicles
2024 Land Crusier - “Land Cruiser”
I'm new to the Land Cruising gang, coming from a 2016 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. So far, I'm delighted with the vehicle. Mine is a Heritage Blue Landcruiser Base with the premium package. Of course, the mods will be coming.

On my way to work today, I had to slam on the brakes in traffic, and for a moment, the tires locked up and the rear end started to come around a bit. The anti-lock brakes didn’t kick in at all, which got my adrenaline pumping! Honestly, my Jeep has more predictable braking. I had done some research before buying the LC and knew that Edmunds had given the brakes a low score, but I didn't think the brakes would be this bad: 2024 Toyota Land Cruiser: Full Rating and Evaluation. Has anyone else experienced this?

Attachments

• IMG_7089.jpeg
    IMG_7089.jpeg
    578.7 KB · Views: 84
How many miles do you have on yours? I noticed the rotors on mine have some coating on them it looks like maybe to keep it rusting on the trip overseas. I found myself stepping on the brakes pretty hard as well. Maybe it will get better with time

I'm new to the Land Cruising gang, coming from a 2016 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. So far, I'm delighted with the vehicle. Mine is a Heritage Blue Landcruiser Base with the premium package. Of course, the mods will be coming.

On my way to work today, I had to slam on the brakes in traffic, and for a moment, the tires locked up and the rear end started to come around a bit. The anti-lock brakes didn’t kick in at all, which got my adrenaline pumping! Honestly, my Jeep has more predictable braking. I had done some research before buying the LC and knew that Edmunds had given the brakes a low score, but I didn't think the brakes would be this bad: 2024 Toyota Land Cruiser: Full Rating and Evaluation. Has anyone else experienced this?
yep. I had the brake pedal to the floor at 70mph on the interstate. I wouldn't say my rear end came around but there was some moving around going on. They actually locked up towards the end as I skid maybe a few feet. I was actually impressed and happy that I did not die.

Welcome to the asylum cyclesurfer.

You can watch Edmunds clip of the braking and fishtailing a bit in this clip if you haven't seen it. Should start playing right before the braking. If not, it's around the 15:55 second mark.

You can watch Edmunds clip of the braking and fishtailing a bit in this clip if you haven't seen it. Should start playing right before the braking. If not, it's around the 15:55 second mark.

Yep. Thats exactly what mine did. But I lived and that sucker stopped like a champ.

Between the weight, the short wheelbase and high center-of-gravity, I am not surprised that the rear gets squirrel-y. As long as the vehicle actually stops with feet to spare, I'm good!

How many miles do you have on yours? I noticed the rotors on mine have some coating on them it looks like maybe to keep it rusting on the trip overseas. I found myself stepping on the brakes pretty hard as well. Maybe it will get better with time
I haven't yet gotten through my first gas tank, so there are about 150 miles on the vehicle. I didn't have to step too hard on the brakes to stop—well, actually, I guess I did step hard because the driver in front of me slammed on their brakes. I was more concerned that the ABS didn't kick in. The LC stopped fairly quickly—just really squarely.

I saw this when I was debating between the GX550 and the LC. I like the GX550 engine better, and breaking was very predictable when I test-drove one. But the GX interior is boring, and I think the LC has a lot more character. I don't regret my purchase.

It may not be a Porsche under braking, but the new LC sure brakes mo better than my old 100 series.

I haven't yet gotten through my first gas tank, so there are about 150 miles on the vehicle. I didn't have to step too hard on the brakes to stop—well, actually, I guess I did step hard because the driver in front of me slammed on their brakes. I was more concerned that the ABS didn't kick in. The LC stopped fairly quickly—just really squarely.

Much like airbags, the systems shouldn't kick in unless they are needed. If the tires didn't skid, ABS wasn't needed.

If you now have a flat spot on your tires, then your ABS was supposed to kick in and didn't.

If you don't have a flat spot on your tires, what you probably felt was the vehicle pitching forward, unloading the rear, and that lightened pressure on the rear felt like it was skidding in a way that you thought ABS should kick in.

I’m shocked I missed a LC video, but I missed this one, thanks for the post- that’s fairly dramatic on LC stopping - glad to see that so I would know what to expect

Back