New Member intro - White LC Trim w/20” rims and Falken Rubitrek’s. Current & Planned Mods.

solagbmw

📛 Founding Member
Aug 7, 2024
Media
Orange County, CA
Vehicles
2024 Land Cruiser
Hi, new forum member here from Southern California. I have a Land Cruiser Trim w/Premium Package and 20” wheels and brown leather interior. This is my main daily driver so will spend most of its time on-road but also plan for it to be our camping and road trip vehicle with some off-road trails around California and west coast destinations.

I want to make my LC a little more capable with some extra ground clearance and protection…but nothing too crazy.

Current mods done:

1/ Replaced OEM Bridgestones with 275/60/20 (33”) Falken Rubitrek’s (SL Load). Love them so far.

2/ Ceramic coated entire exterior - paint, plastic, glass

3/ Tinted front windows to match rear windows

4/ Removed front lower bumper rubber aero thingies on each side

Planned Mods:

1/ New 17” wheels - My 1st choice is these Fifteen 52 Bundt SV (magnesium grey) 17x8 +40mm offset wheels. They don’t currently make them in the Toyota bolt pattern but I emailed them and they said they’re adding it to their list of potential wheels to add in the future.

2/ New Tires - Currently leaning towards 285/75/17 (34”) BFG KO3’s. But might change my mind as I’m not sure if I should go with a C load tire to maintain better ride quality? But I love the looks of the KO3’s and they weigh about 6 pounds less than comparable Falken AT4W’s (in C or E load).

3/ All new suspension (shocks/springs, UCA’s) with 2” - 2.5” lift. I’m going to wait for the guys from Accutune off-road to build their Ride Shocks (their new in-house brand) that are tuned for our LC’s. These are Remote Reservoir 2.5 shocks with hi/lo compression. They said they’re gonna be starting testing soon on a ‘24 LC. I’m willing to wait until they have something ready as they seem like the experts in shocks/suspension tuning for Toyota’s.

4/ Step Sliders. Considering these Steel Step sliders from NYTOP or Dissent off-road. They both look very similar.

4) Aluminum Skid Plates. Considering these 1/4” aluminum set from NYTOP (only 55 pounds). But also will wait and see what others like C4, CBI, etc come out with. Not gonna be doing rock crawling so leaning toward aluminum vs steel to save some weight.

5/ Higher clearance front bumper. Don’t want anything super aggressive. I’d love something simple like the C4 Lo-Pro bumper that they make for the 4Runner. Also unsure if I will get a winch with new bumper? Is it worth the added weight and cost if I don’t do a ton of off-roading? But when you need it it’d be nice to have. Torn on a winch??

6) ARB Diff breather kit

7) ARB dual air compressor (mounted in engine bay)

8) Seat Jacker for drivers seat

9) New Volume knob from ZR tactical

I’m also gonna add my regular Thule Aero Bars to the stock roof rails along with my Yakima SUPDAWG. I’m not planning to get an overlanding platform style roof rack platform as I’m not going to get a Roof Top Tent because I don’t have a garage and don’t want to leave one on top all the time since this is my daily driver. Plus I kinda like the simplicity of just plain old tent camping in the dirt.

Would love any other suggestions on my planned mods! This forum has already been super helpful in my research so thanks for everyone’s inputs and collaboration 🙏

Attachments

• IMG_6451.jpeg
    IMG_6451.jpeg
    470.9 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_6459.jpeg
    IMG_6459.jpeg
    378.9 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_6455.jpeg
    IMG_6455.jpeg
    354.9 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_6454.jpeg
    IMG_6454.jpeg
    342.1 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_6462.jpeg
    IMG_6462.jpeg
    342.9 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:
If you're not planning to rock crawl and are looking to save some weight, you might look at the Greenlane aluminum rock sliders.

17" wheels have very little (a few mm) clearance from the brake calipers which is probably why Toyota is sticking with 18". If you aren't planning to offload a lot, that might be ok. If you've ever had to clean gravelly mud out of the inside of your wheels, it might give you pause.

If you're not planning to rock crawl and are looking to save some weight, you might look at the Greenlane aluminum rock sliders.

17" wheels have very little (a few mm) clearance from the brake calipers which is probably why Toyota is sticking with 18". If you aren't planning to offload a lot, that might be ok. If you've ever had to clean gravelly mud out of the inside of your wheels, it might give you pause.
Thanks for these suggestions! I’ll definitely look into the Greenlane sliders.

And I’ve been reading up on the 17’s vs 18’s threads. You make some good points. I wonder if anyone running 17’s has had any of these challenges due to the small brake clearance.

Hi, new forum member here from Southern California. I have a Land Cruiser Trim w/Premium Package and 20” wheels and brown leather interior. This is my main daily driver so will spend most of its time on-road but also plan for it to be our camping and road trip vehicle with some off-road trails around California and west coast destinations.

I want to make my LC a little more capable with some extra ground clearance and protection…but nothing too crazy.

Current mods done:

1/ Replaced OEM Bridgestones with 275/60/20 (33”) Falken Rubitrek’s (SL Load). Love them so far.

2/ Ceramic coated entire exterior - paint, plastic, glass

3/ Tinted front windows to match rear windows

4/ Removed front lower bumper rubber aero thingies on each side

Planned Mods:

1/ New 17” wheels - My 1st choice is these Fifteen 52 Bundt SV (magnesium grey) 17x8 +40mm offset wheels. They don’t currently make them in the Toyota bolt pattern but I emailed them and they said they’re adding it to their list of potential wheels to add in the future.

2/ New Tires - Currently leaning towards 285/75/17 (34”) BFG KO3’s. But might change my mind as I’m not sure if I should go with a C load tire to maintain better ride quality? But I love the looks of the KO3’s and they weigh about 6 pounds less than comparable Falken AT4W’s (in C or E load).

3/ All new suspension (shocks/springs, UCA’s) with 2” - 2.5” lift. I’m going to wait for the guys from Accutune off-road to build their Ride Shocks (their new in-house brand) that are tuned for our LC’s. These are Remote Reservoir 2.5 shocks with hi/lo compression. They said they’re gonna be starting testing soon on a ‘24 LC. I’m willing to wait until they have something ready as they seem like the experts in shocks/suspension tuning for Toyota’s.

4/ Step Sliders. Considering these Steel Step sliders from NYTOP or Dissent off-road. They both look very similar.

4) Aluminum Skid Plates. Considering these 1/4” aluminum set from NYTOP (only 55 pounds). But also will wait and see what others like C4, CBI, etc come out with. Not gonna be doing rock crawling so leaning toward aluminum vs steel to save some weight.

5/ Higher clearance front bumper. Don’t want anything super aggressive. I’d love something simple like the C4 Lo-Pro bumper that they make for the 4Runner. Also unsure if I will get a winch with new bumper? Is it worth the added weight and cost if I don’t do a ton of off-roading? But when you need it it’d be nice to have. Torn on a winch??

I’m also gonna add my regular Thule Aero Bars to the stock roof rails along with my Yakima SUPDAWG. I’m not planning to get an overlanding platform style roof rack platform as I’m not going to get a Roof Top Tent because I don’t have a garage and don’t want to leave one on top all the time since this is my daily driver. Plus I kinda like the simplicity of just plain old tent camping in the dirt.

Would love any other suggestions on my planned mods! This forum has already been super helpful in my research so thanks for everyone’s inputs and collaboration 🙏
Did you notice a big change with tire noise with the switch? The factory 20in tires are nice on the highway, but can't really compare off road.

My list and mods is very similar to yours. I want to add 1.5-2.5 with adjustable suspension and fit the largest tire that will still fit in the spare location. From what I have researched a 18in wheel with 40 offset is just about perfect.

I think ICON is developing a suspension kit as well. I am willing to wait while the aftermarket catches up to this new platform.

Only a very minor change in noise from the Falken Rubitrek tires. You’d really have to be listening hard to notice. Now after a few weeks I don’t notice any tire noise.

I agree on waiting for the aftermarket to catch up. Especially for the big upgrades like suspension and wheels/tires. I don't want to do multiple upgrades on those components.

I agree on waiting for the aftermarket to catch up. Especially for the big upgrades like suspension and wheels/tires. I don't want to do multiple upgrades on those components.
If you are looking for some shocks that can be tuned to your current and planned mods, here at Radflo we take account of your vehicles weight, modifications, and what you do with the vehicle to get the best tune out of the box.

Back