New First Time Land Cruiser And Toyota Owner From Charlotte

ferrari1898

๐Ÿ“› Founding Member
Jul 15, 2024
Media
Charlotte, NC
Vehicles
2024 Land Cruiser w/ Premium Package
My weekend was spent driving from Charlotte to South Georgia to replace our Honda Ridgeline with the Land Cruiser. The dealer was selling at MSRP and it had the premium package without 20" rims.

Initial Impressions are positive though I noticed a few issues in the first week.
1 - The ride home over 70mph has more vibration than I recall while test driving. I realize having a real frame vs being unibody will result in a less smooth ride, but I think I may have a wheel out of balance on the left side. I will schedule an appointment with the dealer to see if I am right.
2 - Memory Seats Not Working ... Eventually stumbled on a video that there is a calibration required which entails moving the seat to all the extremes. Once I did that, issue resolved.
3 - When walking away from the Toyota the doors do not automatically lock. From what I have seen this is a feature the Land Cruiser and Toyota for the most part does not offer.
4 - When I receive a text message my phone reads it fine, but it does not mute the XM music. Previous vehicles with CarPlay always mute the music when Siri reads a text message. I haven't found a fix yet.
5 - The Off Button For The HVAC Does Not Work ... I eventually figured out the button works, but IF the coolbox is on, the fan will run on low.
6 - Requires Premium Gas, though I was fully aware of this before purchasing.
7 - The Hitch is extra beefy and I had to purchase the extra long anti-rattle lock for my bike rack.

If I could resolve issue 3 and 4 I would be thrilled. Still, I am very happy with the purchase.

IMG_3273.JPEG

Great write-up. Thanks for the info. Looks sharp in your garage in black.

What is your impression of its driving performance on the highways?

The Siri thing is maddening. Apparantly, it is a well know Toyota issue. I turn the radio off before interacting with the voice assistant.

Walk away lock is not a thing.

Check your tire pressures, mine were WAY over filled when I got mine.

The Siri thing is maddening. Apparantly, it is a well know Toyota issue. I turn the radio off before interacting with the voice assistant.

Walk away lock is not a thing.

Check your tire pressures, mine were WAY over filled when I got mine.

Yea, I forgot about the tire pressure. my tires were at 36 except the spare which was like at 45psi+. It took a few minutes to figure out how to drop the spare so I could adjust the pressure.

Yea, I forgot about the tire pressure. my tires were at 36 except the spare which was like at 45psi+. It took a few minutes to figure out how to drop the spare so I could adjust the pressure.
I would leave the spare overfilled a bit. They tend to lose pressure over time and it would stink if it was flat when you needed it.

Great write-up. Thanks for the info. Looks sharp in your garage in black.

What is your impression of its driving performance on the highways?
It is Underground (though in the picture it pass for black; in the sun it more obvious) .

I was generally pleased with its road manners on the highway (with the exception of the vibration which I am thinking is an unbalanced wheel). It was almost like my wife's EV where when you press press the gas pedal, you just go. For almost the entire trip we were between 1500 and 2500 rpm. we jumped in the 3k range a few times when I changed lanes (had the active cruise control on) and it returned to the set speed.

We have a small camper and the Toyota is going to be spending a lot of its life towing it. We use the EV for most daily driving. The Toyota will only get used during the day (I work from home) to take my daughter to school and when we go camping. With the mountain of torque at a low RPM, I am optimistic how the Land Cruiser will work as a tow vehicle.

I havenโ€™t picked mine up yet from the dealer. What is the tire pressure supposed to be?
33 but I am running 34. 36 for the spare. I do really like that the (full size) Spare has a TPMS sensor and will rotate the spare during tire changes.

My weekend was spent driving from Charlotte to South Georgia to replace our Honda Ridgeline with the Land Cruiser. The dealer was selling at MSRP and it had the premium package without 20" rims.

Initial Impressions are positive though I noticed a few issues in the first week.
1 - The ride home over 70mph has more vibration than I recall while test driving. I realize having a real frame vs being unibody will result in a less smooth ride, but I think I may have a wheel out of balance on the left side. I will schedule an appointment with the dealer to see if I am right.
2 - Memory Seats Not Working ... Eventually stumbled on a video that there is a calibration required which entails moving the seat to all the extremes. Once I did that, issue resolved.
3 - When walking away from the Toyota the doors do not automatically lock. From what I have seen this is a feature the Land Cruiser and Toyota for the most part does not offer.
4 - When I receive a text message my phone reads it fine, but it does not mute the XM music. Previous vehicles with CarPlay always mute the music when Siri reads a text message. I haven't found a fix yet.
5 - The Off Button For The HVAC Does Not Work ... I eventually figured out the button works, but IF the coolbox is on, the fan will run on low.
6 - Requires Premium Gas, though I was fully aware of this before purchasing.
7 - The Hitch is extra beefy and I had to purchase the extra long anti-rattle lock for my bike rack.

If I could resolve issue 3 and 4 I would be thrilled. Still, I am very happy with the purchase.

View attachment 5141
Congrats! What dealership in GA is charging MSRP? Iโ€™m in GA but have one on reserve in Tennessee. Thanks.

Congrats! What dealership in GA is charging MSRP? Iโ€™m in GA but have one on reserve in Tennessee. Thanks.
Valdosta GA. Also Augusta will do MSRP. I was on a facebook group with Toyota's at MSRP. A big factor in Valdosta was they had a Premium Package w/ the 18" Michelin tires.

If any dealer wants to sell the LC, it appears they are selling at MSRP.

Last edited:
The LC does have a walk away lock feature. Manual says you have to set it up with dealer but I know you can set auto lock to 60 or 30 seconds on the customize screen. I havnt tested if itโ€™s working right yet but do know itโ€™s available.

Back